Corsair Community

Fan directions with H100?

Prowl33

I have a Lian-li lancool k59w which has a nice big top mount area that will fit 4 fans in a push/pull configuration... my question is, which will cool the best.

All 4 fans pulling cool air into the case

All 4 fans pushing warm air out the case

One pair if fans pushing air out, and the other pair pulling air in

I am building a new system and am now just waiting for bulldozer to release so I can get an fx8150 to go with my Asus Crosshair V 990fx

It is kind of a tough call in your case. How are your CPU temps now? With 2x 140mm intakes and (1) 120mm exhaust I think adding the H100 as intake would be a bit much. Sure, you want positive pressure, but thats a bit much.

Does your video card act as a true exhaust, or does it just swirl air around inside? IE: my HD5870's are sealed, pull air from inside the case and exhaust out the back.

I'd probably set them to exhaust, and check temps. If things just are not looking right swap..

Right now the answers to those questions are unknown, don't have a processor or the card yet. Waiting for bulldozer to release and my ati 6995 2gb to ship. Would it be an odd setup to have 1 pair pull in and 1 pair push out?

I know little about cooling as its been 8 years since I've built able system. From what I understand you should have a really straight forward flow of air in the case right?

Or how about I set the top radiator fans to pull air in, the rear exhaust fan as an intake, and the 2 front 140mm intakes as exhaust. My case is in a relatively open area. Then I would be pulling cooler air in across the radiator and still expelling a lot of the warm air in the case out the front

Or how about I set the top radiator fans to pull air in, the rear exhaust fan as an intake, and the 2 front 140mm intakes as exhaust. My case is in a relatively open area. Then I would be pulling cooler air in across the radiator and still expelling a lot of the warm air in the case out the front

That would be a great idea. I'm not sure on the specs for the 140mm fans, but you may need to slow them down to keep the case pressure positive. This is simple to do by placing resistors inline with the 3 pin connectors.

In most applications the fresher air outside the case could be 5 or more degrees cooler than air that has been warmed by the mobo and especially the videocard. I use the front intake fan of my case to push air to the intake of the rad assembly, through the rad and then a pair of fans to push the air across the video card(s) and then the exhaust fans on the case expel it. Many videos illustrate the idea...check out my link on the installation blog for an example.

Archived