Corsair Community

Top window material?

kcodyjr

The Obsidian 250d, it has a clear/tinted window on the top, looking down at the motherboard.

What exactly is it made of?

More to the point, what processes can I subject it to, to lay graphics down on the inside of it?

Can I etch? Sand? At what temperature does it begin to soften?

Okay, it's plexi, and etching is on the table. Thank you.

How about silkscreening? Would that take to the plexi? The visual idea that's forming in my mind calls for halftones...

Actually, I had another wild idea... it would really look unbelievable if I had a custom piece of glass cut, or even had a custom laminate made. I don't suppose I could convince Corsair to send me the engineering diagrams of that case top? So I don't have to rely on measuring the one I've got? Matching curves is such imprecise business...

Say, 3 layers? Two pieces of annealed glass, one cut slightly larger than the other to match the flange on the factory part, and a thin piece of gorilla on top to make it near absolutely scratch-proof, and then I've got 3 second-surfaces I can image on?

That's a very high precision cut that couldn't possibly be done by hand.

On the other hand, there's any number of ways to lay printing down onto such a material. Even just getting one that's backed by a stiff piece of paper, and running it through a color laser printer.

But how could I get it onto the back of the window panel without bubbling or leaving an edge that's visible through the top?

Hm. Actually... betcha they'd sell like hotcakes if Corsair started selling "printable blanks" for the insides of their case windows. Just a piece of clear vinyl, precut to the size of the window, with a sheet of 120lb text as backing.

• Corsair Employee
Depending on where you are located, anyone with a vinyl printer should be cable to cut out the design for you. Usually you can supply them with an image and they can convert to a 2d illustrator file that they will use for the template. There are also plenty of online shops that perform the same, and then mail you the finished product.

Archived