Corsair Community

Corsair Ax860i lottery - what is the chance that the 3rd one will be also faulty?

DarkAvenger

Greetings,

Recently I let one person build me a new computer, since it's fully water cooled.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153330803306827&id=171179716826

Thing is, my Ax860i is whistling/whining. Well, ***** happens, right? Though, I got another one today for my client, and tomorrow, I'm going for a new one for me, so I can RMA my one.

Clients ticking. No coil whine, just ticking. I a...what's the chance that my Ax860i will be c*ap again?

I bought hundreds of RM units. Not a single fault, not a single bad one. Not a single whining, no nothing. I bought three Ax860i and two are bad.

I thought Axi are the top of the class, RM are suppose to be second worst, so I'm kind of missing...everything in here.

Please help me, becasue I'm kind of lost. Should I get the stronger PSU? From Corair? The 360 euro 1500? Coz I really want the red one, and not the non-i one, and since I already use Cable Mod, and it's all rigged in my box, I really don't wanna go off with the cables, so my only choice pretty much is 1500 and 860 one.

Any advices?

Please...I'm desperate,

regards

uplink

The third one has the same coil whine, when I connect the CPU rail to the system. Now I connected the Seasonic P 660, and it's dead silent, also with RM850 it's dead silent.

Is that some revenge on people who wants to have black and red combination Corsair? Or You're just shipping scrap material to Slovakia?

• Corsair Employee

For the ticking: Do you know when/what is the ticking? Is it the fan? Is it an electrical noise?

As for the coil whine: I'm quite surprised. Does the noise change with load or do you also get the sound when the PC is in standby?

Salutations jonnyguru,

Ticking was on clients one, didn't bother to care for it much, I simply RMAed it.

But the coil whine, yes, that's a different story. It's there even when the computer's turned off. Whenever I connect the motherboard rail, the PSU starts to whistle/whine. And when I turn off the rail, it whines for 20-30 seconds, and than comes out to a very high tone and dies out [the sound].

And thank You for Your idea, I just made a video. Wow. This Ax860i is SO BAD.

It's the ultimate piece of tu*d PSU out there. I can't believe it. RM850 didn't spit a single blow, even at gaming. This one? Wow...unbelievable!

[ame]

[/ame]

• Corsair Employee

I don't hear anything coming from the PSU in the video.

Is it really, really high pitched? Is your AC outlet grounded? What if you change what's plugged in via USB?

This isn't a typical issue with AXi.

jonnyguru - wait what? I get that that You don't hear the coil whine in the first video, it's kind of hard and near the end of the video.

But the second video...did You hear the monstrous noise the power supply does? Coz it's not graphics card, and cooling is water based, so nothing to make the noise in there...

With all due respect [i mean it] sir, either I'm a dog, or You need to see an audiologist. I've asked 5 different people, whether they hear the coil whine on the first vid, and the positively confirmed it.

I made this one just for You...

[ame]

[/ame]

• Corsair Employee

Put the microphone to the back (exhaust) of the PSU and not in the case. I think I'm getting too much background noise.

Something I use: There's an app called "FrequenSee". If you have coil whine, you can hold it up to the back of the PSU and see the meter curve upwards in the 15kHz range.

There's massive peak [can't see on screenshot, coz when I wanna screen it, it goes down coz of the sound from phone] on 5k.

Is that it?

http://uplink.sk/corsair/noise.png

[ame]

[/ame]

OKay, this was the last nail. The whisss sound is me stopping other case fans, whether it's not something else. Well, no, it's not.

Greetings sir jonnyguru,

I'm talking about high-pitched noise, that even woman who knows nothing on RMA heard. Btw. also my 3rd and overall 4th is whining. I just have my server Seasonic P 660 in my computer. It's dead silent, totally silent. Even in load. Tomorrow I'm getting P 760 and later P 1000.

I'm very sorry, but I'm leaving Corsair. I might stay for some computer cases, but Fractal Design is doing better job in most of the cases.

It kind of tears my heart, because from among all companies, Asus and Corsair were my best.

My era of Corsair Power Supply Units/Water Cooling/Mice has come to an end. I don't mean to do no drama or something. It's just a sentimental moment for me. I literally sold thousands of Corsair products, and Corsair even doesn't know about it :). I never did it for glory, or advantages. But for the quality and reliability. I was with Corsair from the 1999 - 2001, don't remember exactly.

The only thing I'm gonna buy from Corsair are ram memories. They are really reliable, I love them. I'm so tired of this Ax/Axi case. Maybe I'll try some products years ahead, but it won't be any time soon. Seasonic and SuperFlower will take care of PSU's, and NZXT and Swiftech for watercooling AiO. I really loved the Corsair water cooling design. It's the best in the world. But it's so bad, and unreliable :(

This was my last drop. I'm honestly and really sorry. I may be back with this brand in PSU/CPU Cooling/Mice segment, but not any time soon, not likely.

Good bye. And thank You for Your time, energy and will to help, I really do appreciate it.

Best regards to You all,

uplink

• Corsair Employee
I don't mean to do no drama or something. It's just a sentimental moment for me.

Just the fact that you posted this is melodramatic in itself.

I'm so tired of this Ax/Axi case. Maybe I'll try some products years ahead, but it won't be any time soon.

So you've had good luck with everything but the AXi and now it's over. Ok. You're prerogative.

Seasonic and SuperFlower will take care of PSU's...

FYI: Seasonic makes the AX Series. And they're even more prone to coil whine. I know you're talking about your AXi experience in this thread, but you grouped AX and AXi together and for someone like me who sees thousands upon thousands of PSUs and hear complaints about Seasonic and coil whine the most, I had to laugh a little.

Add to that that you, to your own admission, have had great luck with other Corsair PSU series. Just not the AXi. And that's the straw that breaks the camel's back.

I don't know why I couldn't hear the whine in your video. Could just be they're outside of the frequency response capability of my headphones, but if it makes the noise even in standby, then it could be because of a +5VSB load like a USB device or a ground issue. It's really unusual for someone to have multiple PSUs with the exact same problem unless the problem is because of an environmental factor, but you did say you tried other PSUs in the same build and didn't hear a single noise, so it's hard to blame anything but the PSU.

But I digress.... Please do enjoy your Fractal case with Seasonic power supply and NZXT (which are also made by the same company that makes Corsair's coolers, BTW) cooler in your next build.

jonnyguru - I'm sorry but I must disagree. Axi is made by Channel Well Technology, or someone else. Seasonic doesn't create Ax, only the early models.

I'm having SS P 760 at home, dead silent, and works fine, 660, dead silent, and works fine. 4 AX860i were bad.

That's not a bad luck, that's statistics.

https://www.alza.sk/corsair-ax860i-d366641.htm

23 nespokojných zákazníkov - často reklamovaný tovar - means 23 unhappy clients, very often RMAed model.

• Corsair Employee
jonnyguru - I'm sorry but I must disagree. Axi is made by Channel Well Technology, or someone else. Seasonic doesn't create Ax, only the early models.

Uhh.. No. You're going to argue this with me? ;):

AXi is made by Flextronics. AX is made by Seasonic. This is fact.

List of reviews w/ OEM: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

AX and AXi are two totally different models. You grouped them together as if they're one. Seasonic most certainly makes the AX, but not the AXi. The AX is a rebadged KM3. You've had good luck with older, cheaper Seasonic units. Good for you. But at least get your facts straight.

Channel Well (CWT) does make some Corsair models. Like RM, RMi and HXi. Those, despite the unwarranted opinion people have about CWT, have an even lower RMA rate than anything made by Seasonic or Flextronics.

https://www.alza.sk/corsair-ax860i-d366641.htm

23 nespokojných zákazníkov - často reklamovaný tovar - means 23 unhappy clients, very often RMAed model.

23 out of how many sold? Somehow, that model still manages to have a four star rating. Go figure.

jonnyguru - frankly, I don't care much who builds what. The thing is, the power supply unit cost 200 euro, and I spent another 70 euro for taxi, to go back to the reseller, and back to my home with all three rides back and there + wasted tons of time. Not telling about another 100 euro for CableMod kit, and 200 euro for custom extensions [with my donation for work].

I don't know, but it kind of doesn't matter how many they sold, but about ~100 to this day [from RMA statistics]. It's a disaster, because I got three after each other and they were bad. Also, the people who are happy wrote there in the reviews that they can hear it whine, but they don't care.

AXi bears the name of Corsair. As I wrote, RM, and HX are nearly perfect. I have 0 RMA's on both models. And I got 4 AXi, and 4 are bad. That's a simple disaster [3 mine, 4th clients].

No matter how much You try to prove that I'm the bad person here, there's not a single PSU in the same price level with so many bad pieces as AXi from Corsair.

TNTrade has a client, who had AX1200i, it started to whine, so he exchanged it for AX1500i, and it whines again.

This is just a fact. Alza.sk/.cz is one of the biggest e-shops in europe, with highest availability and very solid statistics. You don't see that many RMAed pieces with any product in the shop.

It's simply a disaster. The same as many other Corsair products. The fact, that Corsair has never ever made a single product, and everything is outsourced is starting to cast shadow on their products.

I really do love Corsair, but this is simply way too much.

• Corsair Employee

No matter how much You try to prove that I'm the bad person here, there's not a single PSU in the same price level with so many bad pieces as AXi from Corsair.

I'm not trying to prove that you're a bad person. Are you reading what I type? Maybe there's a language barrier. I said that I was with you that there was a problem with the PSU despite having multiple units with the same problem simply because you put a completely different PSU in the system and the sound went away. How does that make you a bad person? That might mean you have bad luck, but you're not a "bad person" because of that.

Where this thread went off the rails is when you started getting all dramatic with emphasis on not wanting to be dramatic and then stating falsehoods like AX isn't made by Seasonic and AXi is made by CWT. These incorrect statements I merely corrected. And being incorrect doesn't make you a bad person either, sooo.....

I'm going to close this thread now. Try to have a nice, drama free, weekend.

Archived