Corsair Community

H100 not cooling due to backplate?

Borgert

Hello there!

I've been busy these days assembling my new computer, but I ran into problem after problem. Now my H100 cooler isn't exacltly cooling my CPU since it goes from and idle temp. to about 84*C. My motherboard which is an ASUS P9X79 Pro have a build-in backplate and I don't know if it keeps my H100 from making ideal contact with the cpu. Still there is thermal paste from the CPU on the cooling head. Any solution? :)

Same as my reply here... http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=108617

You mention using the supplied backplate???

......Doesn't that board already have a mounting plate in place with a screw hole on each corner, (albeit on the front of the board per se)?????

.....Aren't you simply supposed to screw the 4 stand-offs into the 4 screw holes on the corners of the CPU socket/backplate/CPU retaining bracket itself (without using the backplate supplied with the H80)????......

......Then fit your H80's CPU block onto the screws, and tighten them down with the thumbscrews :).

You mention using the supplied backplate???

......Doesn't that board already have a mounting plate in place with a screw hole on each corner, (albeit on the front of the board per se)?????

.....Aren't you simply supposed to screw the 4 stand-offs into the 4 screw holes on the corners of the CPU socket/backplate/CPU retaining bracket itself (without using the backplate supplied with the H80)????......

That should be correct. There should be no need for the backplate on socket 2011. All you should have to do is follow AW directions above.

BIOS also tells me that there's a fan error. The rpm for each fan goes between 1200 and 1500 so thats maybe why?

Make sure you have the single yellow lead plugged into your CPU_FAN header on your MB. This will show you your pumps RPM(not fan spped) and will eliminate the CPU fan error. Without that plugged in the MB is detecting a fan fault that is not there.

The rpm for each fan goes between 1200 and 1500 so thats maybe why?

How are you reading the speed of each fan individually? Do you have them plugged into somewhere else besides the H-80?

Sadly it didn't seem to work. I also gave it a little bit more thermal compound.

As Toasted asked , what about the old compound. Did you just add to it or clean it off and start fresh? If you just added to it, it is gonna be way too much. And that can have the reverse effect of what it is supposed to. It will raise your temps instead of help reduce them. Not to mention running the risk of spillage into the CPU socket. And that SUCKS! Most thermal compound has a prefered method depending on the maker. So i would follow their instructions for application if you haven't already.

Oh and one other question...the backplate you mention that came with the MB, Is that the X-socket?

I know the backplate was a build-in. @Peanutz, you were talking about a yellow lead? I don't see any. Yes, I'm reading each fan individually and I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I have a H100, not a H80. I did remove the old compound. Then I tried applying some compound at the size of a pea, then mounted the cooler head and dismounted it again to check if the compound was spread even and heres the result http://peecee.dk/uploads/072012/cpu_big_thumb.png

@Peanutz, you were talking about a yellow lead?

Yeah, im sorry it may not be yellow. But a single small wire with a fan connector on the end. That is the tach lead and when plugged into the CPU-FAN header will show you pumps RPM's

Yes, I'm reading each fan individually and I'm sorry if you misunderstood, but I have a H100, not a H80.

How, can i ask? Do you have the fans plugged in somewhere else besides the cooling unit?

The H-100 does not register the fans speed. If you have that single wire hooked up you are seeing the pumps speed.

ON the 'yellow lead' for speed to the CPU board header - on my H100 it's black. It's on the cable from the pump that splits off ( Red and Black wires ) to a Molex for power, and a single black lead to the fan header for board feedback.

On your thermal paste footprint - it looks to me like you're not getting the cooling plate mounted correctly, or not enough paste. On mine, that footprint ( with the original paste ) is exactly perfectly square and even, to the edges of the CPU and water plate minus just a tiny bit ( maybe 1/8th, from memory ). No voids or gaps, perfectly straight edge lines, showing 100 % good contact.

I suggest untighten the mounting scrrews, and re-tighten in the correct x pattern.

X79 boards/2011 CPUs have built in mounting points for CPU cooler on the CPU socket. If you removed those and are using a backplate, it will not apply the correct pressure between the CPU and copper heat plate on a H100.

There are two sets of mounting standoffs that come with the new H-series coolers, like yours. The correct standoffs for socket 2011 CPUs are the ones that have one long threaded stud, and one short, larger diameter threaded stud. The short end screws directly into the CPU socket, no backplate is used.

How so you have the H100's pump/heatplate mounted? If you remount the pump and reapply TIM, you don't need to tighten the four thumbscrews very tight, just do it by hand. If your thumbscrews have screwdriver slots, just give each one a small tweak of a turn with a screwdriver. It is possible to break the studs with to much torque.

Archived