Corsair Community

Prepaid VISA cards are a scam

I've always been a fan of Corsair products They've always given me good products for decent prices. I have Corsair memory, PSU and SSD and I'm very satisfied with every one of them.

The new policy to issue prepaid VISA cards for mail-in rebates instead of cheques has made sure I'll never buy another Corsair product again though. This takes the mail-in rebate scam to a whole new level as if you one of the few lucky enough to actually get your mail-in rebate, they make damn sure you'll never use it.

Not only is the card issued in US currency for us international customers, but they won't tell us what exchange rate they use when processing the card.

Add to that the fact that they randomly add a 20% surcharge to your transaction for no reason whatsoever, and the fact they take money away from the card every time it gets declined (which happens a lot when you have to guess the exchange rate and whether or not they'll add 20% to the total being charged) and you end up with a card that's completely useless i.e. a scam.

My local Government's consumer protection agency will now deal with this scam but I figured I'd let Corsair know that they've lost a life long customer due to their efforts to defraud me. I'm sure they'll blame it all on the "third party company" that processes their mail-in rebates but hey, who hired that "third party" again?

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry to hear that but that is the way rebates are done with all manufacturers. However, instead of accusing us of scamming you why don't you submit your Rebate and then contact the rebate company and see what they can do to help you. If they will not or cannot help you then contact our customer service.

I am sure they will do their best to help you either the rebate company or our customer service.

I've done both. The rebate company says they can't do anything for another month (typical brush off) and Corsair won't get back to me.

BTW Corsair is the only company that's ever sent me a prepaid credit card for a mail-in rebate. All I've ever received from anybody else (AND from Corsair in the past) were cheques.

Correction. I did actually receive a prepaid card for a mail-in rebate once, from Asus. It was an American Express prepaid card, issued in my local currency, with none of those BS fees. It actually worked, first time, for the full amount of the mail-in rebate.

So I know it CAN work, it's just that yours don't. Does that make the situation any better?

Edited by Gimli

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest you call our customer service by phone is all I can suggest. The number is listed under contact on the main site. If you are out side of the USA then you can call them using Skype and call the toll free number it will be a free call.

• 7 years later...