The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1025346
Salsiccia Reputation: 16

Much happier with this now:

Old 11-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1025349

Just placed the mobo and CPU cooler in to start getting an idea of the cooling routing.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:31 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1025494

On the rear I'm opting for a bit of contrast - not everything needs to be painted white !!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 PM
CSHawkeye81's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1026305
CSHawkeye81 Reputation: 10

Nice work so far. We have similar builds. When I get back from my business trip I will post pics as well.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1026326

Thanks Hawkeye, looking forward to your pics too.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1026330

OK, Things are starting to get interesting now.......

Here's where I'm currently at:

Radiators with their fans are now in.
- 360 on the front (top of photo) with 3 LL120s on the outside
- 280 on the top (left of photo) with 2 ML 140s also on the outside

I started this build wanting the RGB effect to be visible from the outside of the case rather than the inside, hence the current fan placements.

Now looking at the inside I realise its going to have no lighting other than the RGB effect on the pump/res, the CPU cooler and the graphics card cooler (not in yet). I'm not sure if I'm happy with that now ! I also have 4 RGB strips that came with a Lighting Node Pro pack I bought separately. I'm hoping to use these, but haven't figured out how/where yet. There is also the onboard mobo RGB, but I'm thinking of turning that off and having it as purely a Corsair show.

Thinking about adding internal fans, clearly I can't up top, the rad is up against the mobo as it is - not sure that's a good idea either. I *could* add 3 more 120s behind the front rad, but at the expense of room for the pump/res so undecided on that too.

Ideally I wanted the front rad connections at the top, but with the 280 rad in place up top that was just too tight a fit so they have to go down the bottom. Not ideal, but also not the end of the world I figure. I know others in here (and elsewhere) who are smarter than I am have opted for a 240 up top instead of a 280. I debated that for ages, but decided I really wanted the 280 and knew I would have space issues to deal with - so here I am !!

Now practising bending my hard tube and trying to decide the best tube run. Also tossing up adding a 120 rad to the rear behind the fan - just for an even more complex tubing run !

So many points of potential failure, but also a lot of fun !

Old 12-19-2019, 05:49 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1028059

The final cooling components arrived this afternoon:

Now I can move on with planning the loop - which is proving to be way more difficult than I anticipated. Part of that may be my slightly OCD with wanting everything straight though!!

Old 12-19-2019, 05:51 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1028060

I do have to say that first look at the XG7 block and it feels really nice. It has a nice heft to it and certainly isn't tinny or plastic-y.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:14 PM
usna92's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1029035
usna92 Reputation: 10

Looks great. Looking forward to how you finish this up. :)

Old 12-29-2019, 11:57 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1029104

Finally got to spend some holiday time for good to make a bit of progress here !!

Yesterday I assembled the GPU cooler - turned out to be a lot easier than I feared.

Now I finally have all the components to be cooled together in the case so I can start return to thinking about what the loop is going to look like which hasn't really been possible (for me anyway) until I could actually see all the bits.

So here's the raw canvas now:

After staring blankly at this for a while and and then walking away, it finally hit me how I wanted the tubing to run - and for me that's half the battle. Actually more like 80% of the battle. Now its just a matter of actually doing it.

This morning I placed 2 more orders for parts, including some M-M extenders and the EK leak test kit from my local supplier. Not sure if I actually need the M-M extenders yet, but I figure I'll get them in and have a look at them and then if I do need them I have them on hand.

Also managed to track down some double 45 degree rotary bends too. I have a feeling not all my joins are going to line up perfectly and I have a sneaking suspicion I will need to resort to these. Had to order these direct from EKWB in Europe though to match the rest of my fittings - for some reason it seems they aren't stocked by anyone here in Australia - (that I could readily find anyway).

Now to perfect my bending skills ....

But with over 40 degree heat here in Australia today and bushfires everywhere I am a bit reluctant to fire up the heat gun so might just do some basic straight cuts until the cool change kicks in this evening ! That should at least allow me to get an initial feel as to how sane my plan is !

Old 12-30-2019, 08:30 PM
newfiend
newfiend's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1029217
newfiend Reputation: 10

Looking Good! That's about the point I sat there for about an entire evening after work trying to plan out where the tube runs would go. As soon as I "thought" I had it I found pics of others builds and decided to change things.. Had to order more fittings and a couple more temp sensors. I added an additional temp sensor on the outlet port of my GPU so I could tell if it was getting warm. So many options when planning tube runs and fittings. Fun times. Glad the GPU was easy for you. =)

Old 01-01-2020, 04:49 PM
usna92's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1029413
usna92 Reputation: 10

RGB Strips is the 500d is perfect for a 4 strip set. I have them set along the inner edge of the case. You should be able to place them and then run an extension to plug into a lighting channel somewhere. Run them in before you plumb the bottom fittings which should help in placement. You might also want to check how your PSU cable are going to look before you do the plumbing. May change how you want things to run. Just make sure you unplug them before leak testing.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1029579

I do have 4 RGB strips that I am planning to use and still haven't decided where I want them. Especially since my fan lighting is visible from the outside of the case rather than the inside, I figure the strips will be a good way to get some inner bling happening !

I have also looked at other temp/flow sensors to add to the loop, but so far haven't found any I really like the look of. Also, I'm conscious of the fact that this is my first custom loop and I don't want to over complicate it at this stage. I fully expect that after 6 months or so of having it up and running I will pull it all apart and apply a whole lot of learnings and have another go anyway so the Project Manager in me is trying to manage Scope Creep at the moment !

I have been thinking about the PSU cables too as they usually really annoy me and I really want to make them look as good as I can. I'm going to order a custom length kit from Cablemod, but need to measure the lengths I need first, which I can now do since the components are now in place. I am already unhappy with the cabling holes in my main tray that don't quite line up with where my 24-pin connector is. That stuff is really hard to work out before buying the parts though !

(Interesting aside re: the parts I ordered this week, especially for others who live here in Australia - I placed 2 orders with a local supplier here in Melbourne for some EKWB fittings and also a separate order directly with EKWB themselves in Europe for some other fittings I couldn't find locally. The local store I ordered from is less than 20kms from my house so I *could* have jumped in the car and made a trip and been there and back in under an hour and got on with my life, but I elected to go for the "convenience" of online ordering and delivery. There's something cool about just having stuff turn up at your doorstep. All 3 orders were placed on Monday afternoon of this week, today is Friday morning as I write this. The order from EKWB direct has already flown half way around the world (Slovenia --> Germany --> London --> Melbourne, Australia) and is now on a DHL truck for delivery to my house TODAY. The 2 orders from my "local" store less than 20 ks away are still allegedly being handled by Aussie Post and *may* be delivered next Monday, but may still be later than that. Delivery cost was equivalent for all the orders and I just picked the basic delivery options, no "Express" or "Priority". From now on I will order direct from EKWB.

Note to Corsair who, for reasons best known to themselves, choose not to deliver to Australia / NZ - its actually not that hard, or that cost prohibitive - EK can do it. Try it, you might get yourself some more customers. )

Old 01-08-2020, 06:23 PM
flashofmyflesh's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1030507
flashofmyflesh Reputation: 10

Hey mate, the case is gorgeous looking with the white interieur.
I run an i9 9900k and a 2080 super, both supplied with corsair watercooling stuff. It's absolutely unnecessary to go with 2 pump/reservoir combos from the cooling point of view, I even got the formula board with the watercooled pcb. After long term gaming sessions water temps are under 35°C.
Also the pretty LL fans are not the best decision when it comes to watercooling. you should go for the ml pro ones, which provide more static pressure while running on low rpm.
Show more pics! :)

Old 01-09-2020, 03:51 AM
Robostyle's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1030581
Robostyle Reputation: 10

This getting very nice. Love the case teardown to get it exactly as you want and not cutting corners and going that last mile.

Love to see how your tubing will look like.