The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 541 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM

POST ID # = 734061
Digital.Zilla Reputation: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Hi all,

In the picture with the green slope:

It is not displaying a gradient from green to black. What you're actually setting it up for is 1 single color green to go down in brightness over a duration of 10 seconds. The X axis is the time line for duration and Y axis is the intensity (brightness). If you want to test the entire range of green as a gradient you should add all 255 variations of green as a color at full intensity and then have it be done over 10 seconds (to mirror the original duration you tested the single color at).

It should look like this:

First color:
R:0
B:0
G:0

Second Color:
G:1

Third Color:
G:2

and up to 255.
Hi James,

I did what you suggested originally, though I didn't post a screenshot of it. The difference between zero brightness green and full brightness black is the same as far as hardware is concerned (you're emitting zero light). Also, In my test both setups gave the exact same results: 8 steps of actual brightness on the key.

More importantly, as CalcProgrammer1 one points out
Quote:
Yeah, my reverse engineering shows 3 bits per LED
If he is indeed correct (and it lines up with what we're seeing in practice), it doesn't matter what you tell QUE to do, 3 bits is 3 bits... 8 levels of brightness (including black).

Last edited by Digital.Zilla; 10-08-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 PM

POST ID # = 734068
chrisgzy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Hi all,

In the picture with the green slope:

It is not displaying a gradient from green to black. What you're actually setting it up for is 1 single color green to go down in brightness over a duration of 10 seconds. The X axis is the time line for duration and Y axis is the intensity (brightness). If you want to test the entire range of green as a gradient you should add all 255 variations of green as a color at full intensity and then have it be done over 10 seconds (to mirror the original duration you tested the single color at).

It should look like this:

First color:
G:0

Second Color:
G:1

Third Color:
G:2

and up to 255.
If that were the case, then instead of it being the green channel that doesn't support 256 colors, it is the alpha channel (which I'm pretty sure isn't present, just uses HSB) - still the same issue of not having a smooth transition. I'm pretty sure I also tried what you described to no avail, as well.

Based on what I'm seeing, a byte sent to the device covers two keys instead of one. Take "0x77" for example with keys "F8" and "8":

When it is set to "0x07", the "F8" key will have one of its channels maxed out while the "8" key will be 0.

When it is set to "0x70", it is the opposite.

Now, had it been that "0xFF" (for example) was a value for ONE key, it would indeed support 16.7 million colors. As it stands, we don't even know if the device itself can support 16.7 or if it is a firmware limitation.

Last edited by chrisgzy; 10-08-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 734118
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Let me get back to the both of you. I'll have to ask our engineers for a better explanation.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:55 PM

POST ID # = 734358
emiljensen2 Reputation: 10

Any news regarding this?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM
morris8809's PC Specs

POST ID # = 734522
morris8809 Reputation: 11

Tested it out this tonight, I adjusted the value of green on a single key from 255 down to 0 in increments of 10 (should see a difference. Instead of changing each increment the color only changed 7 times (8 including off). Looks like the above methods of testing is correct, and currently the keyboard only accepts 512 colors/3 bit per led. Hopefully this will be fixed with a firmware update. When changing colors in CUE, the color will not actually change until it goes past one of the steps, all of the colors in between are the same.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 PM

POST ID # = 734608

Any update on this James?

You guys are currently supporting %0.000031 of your advertised color range. And we all know how users love false advertising.

Last edited by Digital.Zilla; 10-10-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:20 PM

POST ID # = 734798
uncanny1 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.Zilla View Post
Any update on this James?

You guys are currently supporting %0.000031 of your advertised color range. And we all know how users love false advertising.
I love it so much that this new cherry brown will be returned if this poor gradient situation isn't fixed in short order.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:52 PM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 734810
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Hi Digital, sorry I don't have an update yet. Our engineers in Asia were out of the office due to a holiday.

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:56 PM

POST ID # = 735285

Well it was certainly full 16.8m colors at one point. @ 1:12
It even looks brighter, but that might just be the camera.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 PM

POST ID # = 735294

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiljensen2 View Post
Well it was certainly full 16.8m colors at one point. @ 1:12
http://youtu.be/y-GjMH8kQlc?t=1m12s
It even looks brighter, but that might just be the camera.
There's definitely still some stuttering in that video, but it's way more than 8 steps for sure. The interesting question is, was that CES demo was real production hardware or just a prototype? If it's real hardware, than hopefully this is indeed on the software side. However, if it's a prototype, then that could also explain why the keys look way brighter (though cheap digital camera's don't have nearly the exposure range that the human eye does, so lights tend to always look brighter).

Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 AM

POST ID # = 735338
mysticc Reputation: 10

In case RGBs really allow only 8 states of a LED this should not be as difficult to get acknowledged by Dev.
My guesss - looking for a good explanation - marketing wise.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 AM
CalcProgrammer1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 735341
CalcProgrammer1 Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.Zilla View Post
There's definitely still some stuttering in that video, but it's way more than 8 steps for sure. The interesting question is, was that CES demo was real production hardware or just a prototype? If it's real hardware, than hopefully this is indeed on the software side. However, if it's a prototype, then that could also explain why the keys look way brighter (though cheap digital camera's don't have nearly the exposure range that the human eye does, so lights tend to always look brighter).
We also don't know if they were using some demo program running on the keyboard's internal processor or whether they were sending commands over USB like the CUE software does. If the former, the hardware likely does have access to more than the 512 colors we can command over USB.

Actually, I'm 100% certain it does. If you command 8 steps of color variance over USB but then hit the brightness hardware key, you still get 3 steps of brightness. That means the physical LED controller is capable of more than 8 levels per LED as it scales internally for global brightness. The issue is how do we get access to that color depth directly.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 735472
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Is there any way to see if sending 8 bits will actually be accepted by the keyboard? Or is there no way for anyone to mess with the firmware that gets patched to the keyboard
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
CalcProgrammer1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 735480
CalcProgrammer1 Reputation: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
Is there any way to see if sending 8 bits will actually be accepted by the keyboard? Or is there no way for anyone to mess with the firmware that gets patched to the keyboard
Not without writing custom firmware, unless there's an undocumented USB command set that accepts 8-bit per LED color. Decoding the protocol only gives you what CUE is using so there could be more that isn't being used yet. Reverse engineering firmware would be a huge undertaking and is of questionable legality whereas protocol sniffing is rather straightforward.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:54 PM

POST ID # = 735499

The keyboard in the video could be a prototype with bigger memory space. (Based off the fact that they say animations can't be saved to the on-board memory due to memory space)
It could also be software sending it to the keyboard, but why tone down the color range afterwards.

I'm surprised we haven't been updated on this yet.
Another keyboard producer with RGB keyboard does apparently utilize 16.8m colors, or at least way closer than corsair's RGB's.