The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 05:16 PM

POST ID # = 59363
atseng Reputation: 10

Cjthom,

Yes, I pushed these fully in (didn't with my first one, and I had problem with the AGP card unseating itself for the AGP slot).... Screws in the screws perfectly. I even tried to ground it using the Case opening indicator.... I am using a 2theMax HEPro II 320W, which I assume should be more than adequate in terms of power supply. The case and the power supply cost me around HK$1100, or US$141.

I am currently living in HK. Although I lived primarily in the U.S. for the past 16+years. I much prefer the prices in U.S. because of the rebates. You can get HD's for up to 1/2 of the cost in HK/elsewhere when retailers are running special promos with rebates.

For the 512 Twinx3200LL, I paid HK$1250 or US$160, about $5-10 more than U.S. For the 2x256 Kingston DDR400 CL2.5, I paid HK$670, or US$86.

I am a bit bummed out about the port not working, but considering the $8 lan card cures the problem, it's not bad at all.

Albert

Old 06-16-2003, 05:26 PM

POST ID # = 60730
cjthom Reputation: 10

This thread seems to have gone cold but I notice that the Beta BIOS has had 33 hits!
I was not going to install this now that my MB seemed happy at 2-6-3-2 but tonight my PC started doing a strange thing.
My wife is into playing Command and Conquer Renegade. This does not seem to be a very PC taxing game but tonight the PC started to give out random low frequency beeps while she was playing this game. The beeps are lower frquency than the normal successful system boot beep. The beeps were intermittent and followed no particular patern so I am lost as to what it may be.They ceased when the game was halted.
Anyway I have now installed the Beta BIOS and set the settings to Top Performance and the PC booted OK. Interestingly the RAM timings have defaulted to 2-6-3-2 or is this because I have not cleared the CMOS?
I am now going to get the wife to run the game again and see (hear) what happens. Has anyone else experienced these type of random beeps?

Regards

Chris

Old 06-16-2003, 06:48 PM

POST ID # = 60746
mjrtoo Reputation: 10

Indeed, I would get those beeps before the beta release by running Sandra motherboard tests.... after I installed betaF7 that all went away.

I was also experiencing crashes with USB devices with BIOS 6, not with Beta7 though.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:22 AM

POST ID # = 60824
Andy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Indeed, I would get those beeps before the beta release by running Sandra motherboard tests...
I get the beeps in Sandra by running the Mainboard Information module.
I also got them on a SIS 735 and i440BX mobo before my 8IK1100. It mainly happens if something in the system is overvolted or overclocked.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:52 AM

POST ID # = 60829
mjrtoo Reputation: 10

I'm having USB problems again. It was fine for a while with the beta 7 BIOS.

The light on my USB storage device sorta flickers every second or so, then if you try to remove the device from the port, it crashes the computer. The BIOS is set to 'optimal mode'.

Any ideas?

Old 06-29-2003, 09:31 AM

POST ID # = 63196

Does any one know how near Gigabyte are to bringing out the official Ver.7.0 BIOS?
My PC is still doing some strange things with the Beta version. The PC regularly drops out of my childrens CDROM games and returns to Desktop but I am not sure whether this is BIOS, RAM or something else.

Regards

Chris

Old 07-04-2003, 06:44 AM

POST ID # = 64042

Quote:
Does any one know how near Gigabyte are to bringing out the official Ver.7.0 BIOS?
I must pose the same question. I contacted US tech support, went through that Taiwan tech support form and also contacted Taiwan sales, so far none bothered to reply :(

Old 07-07-2003, 07:06 AM

POST ID # = 64596
Sly

Taiwan tech support just answered and pointed me to the f7c beta bios.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:17 PM

POST ID # = 65584

DO NOT USE THIS BIOS

It has totally killed my PC!

Luckily I had F6 on a Floppy and then ran the Q Flash utility to restore the BIOS and get the PC to start.

If anyone has got this BIOS to work then I apologise to Andy and others but something is not quite right

Chris

Old 07-11-2003, 04:36 PM

POST ID # = 65649

I have had a chance to calm down now. There is no worse a feeling when you watch a new BIOS upload and then watch the PC restart and restart and restart....
After installing F6 again the PC would boot OK but I had to slow the timings as before. Windows XP booted and warned me that it had recovered from a serious problem and pointed me towrds a web page that informed me that there had been a RAM (corruption) problem and advised me to download Windows RAM Diagnosis. I reinstalled the Beta b revision (not c) and then ran the RAM diagnostics and the corsair RAM passed all of the tests.

As I said before there is something amiss with rev c. I just hope there are not loads of people out there now with dead PC's.

Andy

Does your PC run OK on c revision? if so what RAM are you running and at what timings? Sorry if I gave the impression that I was pointing a finger at you, it was a sudden reaction after seeing my PC stop working, followed by panic. I blame Gigabyte at the end of the day for not developing the BIOS before putting a new product on the market and then worst of all leaving their customers to sort out their own problems. I have e-mailed them 3 times now and have never had a reply...disgusting.

Chris

Old 07-11-2003, 06:54 PM

POST ID # = 65700

I have two 512 XMS3500 sticks running in dual channel at 333 (2-2-2 6) right now, together with a 2.4B that I plan on swapping for a 2.4C next week.
The F7C bios hasn't screwed my PC, everything seems to be fine for the moment and will do further testing at 400 when I get the new CPU.

I received this beta bios only after contacting Taiwan sales, prior to that having mailed US tech support and went through Taiwan tech support's form.

Old 07-13-2003, 07:29 AM

POST ID # = 65877

Atseng

Hi

I have just got around to transfering my Cable MODEM to the 81K100 LAN connection and it works fine.

I am not sure if you have fixed your problem but I did the following.

Run cmd
type ipconfig/all
This identified the MAC address which is identified under Physical Address.

I then went onto my cable companies Web page and went onto the MAC Admin page which was found by going into the "self Help" page.

Here I was able to register the Gigabyte MAC address. This then allowed me to use either IP address.

I went into system management to ensure that the Gigabyte LAN was enabled.

Finally I went back into RUN, cmd and entered ipconfig/release and this cleared the current address.

I then powered off and waited a couple of minutes before transferring the LAN connection from the Ethernet card to the Gigabyte LAN connection.

I powered up the cable MODEM and waited for all of the LED's to illuminate and then powered up the PC.

Once I was in DESKTOP I opened up my browser and Hey presto! I had a connection to the Internet.

Forgive me if you know this procedure but I thought it may help you to get your connection working and in the process, free up a PCI slot.

Regards

Chris Thompson

Old 07-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 65894
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Andy
When you go to a 800 FSB CPU I would suggest that you relax the timings a bit to Cass 2-3-2-6 with the Rass to Cass set to "3" but you should be fine.
Ram Guy

Old 07-13-2003, 06:42 PM

POST ID # = 65990

Welcome back RAM GUY, where you been?

Is this why my PC would not start with BETA rev.f7c? I seem to remember that the Rass to Cass default was 2.

My PC just kept restarting over and over again. I have gone back to f7b. It's about time Gigabyte got this sorted. How are other manufacturers fairing with your hi speed matched devices?

Regards

Chris

Old 07-14-2003, 06:51 PM

POST ID # = 66170
Piddyful Reputation: 10

You should be able to run you ram at CAS 2, 3, 2, 5. It is what I run mine at with the F7b BIOS 24/7 with no stability problems. Can not get it to 2, 2, 2, 5 though. Won't even boot. I'm going to try the F7c BIOS to see what's up with that one. I'll keep the backup the F7b BIOS for a recovery if needed.