The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 06:56 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 971870
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Nothing wrong with the curve design. If you feel it is too loud at 40-43C, reduce the speed. The stock fans are very loud. Also keep in mind small differences in fan speed should make little difference in your end cooling. Running the fans at 1600 rpm should be more or less the same as 1400 rpm. Maybe 0.5C difference. On the other hand, the noise might be quite different. Most fans have specific speeds where they are unpleasant. No reason to use that part of the band.

Another approach to use (especially for gaming) is to set a fixed RPM in your custom curve. Pick something that is tolerable. No more changing speeds, just continual exhaust. This may help get more GPU heat out sooner, preventing the case from heating up. That is hard to undo in the short term, but the higher initial speed may keep your from those levels. I preferred doing this when running a H80i like cooler in the rear exhaust where it was a constant victim of GPU waste heat.

There is no specific fail point for the cooler. It's certainly not 40-45C. The rubber is rated for more than 100C+ and obviously we won't be melting plastic or metal. The only real vulnerable part might be the sealant/glue exposed to long term high coolant levels (55-70C+). However, all of this is mostly a moot point. On any recent processor, you are probably going to reach your CPU temp limits with a coolant temp of 50C -- or at least get uncomfortably close.

Knocking your room temp down by 10C would certainly make everything else look great. Of course, that's likely not possible in the near future or ever in some climates. What I am still interested in your current room and temp and relative case temperature. You can make an approximation of case temp through the motherboard sensor and often drive temps (like a photo of your iCUE dashboard/panel). 33C idle coolant temp would be OK if your room temp is in the upper 20s. However, I am still worried about the initial post when you described continually climbing coolant temp with the fans maxed. 43C coolant temp without contributing environmental factors is high.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:59 AM
KDKprod's PC Specs

POST ID # = 972972
KDKprod Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Nothing wrong with the curve design. If you feel it is too loud at 40-43C, reduce the speed. The stock fans are very loud. Also keep in mind small differences in fan speed should make little difference in your end cooling. Running the fans at 1600 rpm should be more or less the same as 1400 rpm. Maybe 0.5C difference. On the other hand, the noise might be quite different. Most fans have specific speeds where they are unpleasant. No reason to use that part of the band.

Another approach to use (especially for gaming) is to set a fixed RPM in your custom curve. Pick something that is tolerable. No more changing speeds, just continual exhaust. This may help get more GPU heat out sooner, preventing the case from heating up. That is hard to undo in the short term, but the higher initial speed may keep your from those levels. I preferred doing this when running a H80i like cooler in the rear exhaust where it was a constant victim of GPU waste heat.

There is no specific fail point for the cooler. It's certainly not 40-45C. The rubber is rated for more than 100C+ and obviously we won't be melting plastic or metal. The only real vulnerable part might be the sealant/glue exposed to long term high coolant levels (55-70C+). However, all of this is mostly a moot point. On any recent processor, you are probably going to reach your CPU temp limits with a coolant temp of 50C -- or at least get uncomfortably close.

Knocking your room temp down by 10C would certainly make everything else look great. Of course, that's likely not possible in the near future or ever in some climates. What I am still interested in your current room and temp and relative case temperature. You can make an approximation of case temp through the motherboard sensor and often drive temps (like a photo of your iCUE dashboard/panel). 33C idle coolant temp would be OK if your room temp is in the upper 20s. However, I am still worried about the initial post when you described continually climbing coolant temp with the fans maxed. 43C coolant temp without contributing environmental factors is high.
Sorry for the late answer.

Thank you very much for your answer, I think that it is solved for now. According to your reply, I set the 100% rpm to the 50C, achieving that the fans run more deccelerated and less noisy.

About the room temp issue, I live in Spain, and all of these problems have been happening this summer, but now, that the autumn is coming, the temperature is decreasing, so my room is not that excessively hot anymore and due to that I think the problem is solved.

Nevertheless, I have been thinking about buying a Corsair 570X case, and six LL120 fans, replacing the stock noisy fans that my H100i v2 has. I think that this will finally end all the problems.

Thank you very much for your help and your quick answers.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:29 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 972975
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Unfortunately the weather is something of a unsolvable problem. Anyone is a warm Summer climate is going to see big differences between Winter and Summer. I have to do the same as well with a Winter and Summer fan curve. My peaks temps in Winter are lower than the room baseline temp in Summer. Nothing I can do about that, but running the fans faster won't help either. It can only reduce temps back to near the starting point - at most.

I don't like the SP120L fans that come with your cooler and any fan change will likely be a pleasing tune.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:48 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 972999
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Unfortunately the weather is something of a unsolvable problem. Anyone is a warm Summer climate is going to see big differences between Winter and Summer. I have to do the same as well with a Winter and Summer fan curve. My peaks temps in Winter are lower than the room baseline temp in Summer. Nothing I can do about that, but running the fans faster won't help either. It can only reduce temps back to near the starting point - at most.

I don't like the SP120L fans that come with your cooler and any fan change will likely be a pleasing tune.
Down here in Texas we have a solution for warm summer temperatures. We call it air conditioning. And, tbh, our summer temperatures can't really be described as "warm" ... hellish is usually a bit more appropriate.

Of course, we also have warm winter temperatures too. And warm spring and autumn temperatures, too.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Tags
fan, h100i v2, icue, max speed, problem