Corsair Community

SP140/SP120 Setup

woflx

Hello all!

I'm ordering a dual kit of SP140 and a triple kit of SP120 fans for my case.

They both come with the lighting node pro. Can I hook all 5 fans to one lighting node pro?

Is this all I need to get them setup? Or do I need another hub to power the fans? If so, any recommendations? Links?

I'm newer to this so go easy please.

Thanks in advance.

Are those the SP-PRO fans that you ordered?

If so, they come with the Lighting Node Core (NoCo), which is a single lighting channel and fan hub in one unit. You can put up to 6 fans on a single NoCo, so you'll be good there.

Ok. Thanks! They are indeed the pro performance models.

Do you know if I need another hub to supply power to the fans? I read that the lighting node only supplies power to the lights. Is that correct?

That is correct. Lighting power and fan motor power are separate with one wire for each. The SP-Pro is a DC motor and will have a 3 pin connector. That will need to go to the motherboard or another DC capable fan controller.

Thanks for the reply. So I should buy a Commander Pro then? Any cheaper alternatives that are recommended?

I like my Commander Pro a lot and it has been the single most useful thing in my case the past 4 years. Motherboard fan control has improved lately, but there are a lot of options here. The Commander Pro (unlike the Commander Core) is 3 pin DC capable.

However, just be aware you won't be using the Commander Pro as your lighting controller unless you have an extra RGB Lighting Hub lying around. The SP-Pro come with a slim version of the controller + power set-up called a Lighting Node Core. It will connect back to the system via USB 2 and not through the Commander's RGB channels. However, the Commander also has 2 USB 2.0 pass through ports, so it won't cost you an extra. It can piggy back through the Commander.

I like my Commander Pro a lot and it has been the single most useful thing in my case the past 4 years. Motherboard fan control has improved lately, but there are a lot of options here. The Commander Pro (unlike the Commander Core) is 3 pin DC capable.

However, just be aware you won't be using the Commander Pro as your lighting controller unless you have an extra RGB Lighting Hub lying around. The SP-Pro come with a slim version of the controller + power set-up called a Lighting Node Core. It will connect back to the system via USB 2 and not through the Commander's RGB channels. However, the Commander also has 2 USB 2.0 pass through ports, so it won't cost you an extra. It can piggy back through the Commander.

Thank you for all the info. I'll go ahead and grab a Commander Pro then!