Corsair Community

5.3 GHz and Extreme Heat Removal

It seems the Intel vs. AMD "Heat War" has no end in sight, in the immediate future at least anyway. The CORSAIR H150i has been my "tried and true" cooling solution for a while now. A quick "back of the envelope" calculation revealed something a bit scary to me.

1. The newest generation of AMD and Intel chips seem to require heat removal capacities that will exceed even Quad Radiator + 2 liter reservoir cooling capacities unless a water chiller is added to the loop.

2. Without monitoring the aforementioned hypothetical cooling solution, one could quickly reach the "radiator bottleneck constraint" whereby even the Ford Wind Tunnel fans would do no good in terms of keeping the heat from gradually increasing beyond the CPU thermal shutdown limits.

3. I believe Thermosyphon Technology will be required in order to support sustained, very high overclocks on these high performance chips.

Therefore I...

2-phase-thermosyphon-02.jpg

...started building a Single Stage Dual Phase Active Refrigerant-Based Thermosypon. Currently, it can run the newest Intel 10-core chips at 5.3 GHz for 24x7 operation without getting the Blue Screen of Death.

I will report back with more info later on, if there is interest.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

maybe not a 10900k OCed at a fixed 5.3ghz. we're talking close to 400w. AIOs don't have enough water flow to keep that in check

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 1:53 AM, LeDoyen said:

maybe not a 10900k OCed at a fixed 5.3ghz. we're talking close to 400w. AIOs don't have enough water flow to keep that in check

Corsair said my H115i dual fan cooler can handle about 300W thermal load with the flow maxed. Pushing it that hard will hurt the service life slightly.

So far AMD has not had any CPU that power hungry for socket AM4. AMD did have some power hungry processors for AM3 which is where the H115i would really earn its keep.