Corsair Community

Cleaning H80 Radiator under running water?

persentio

Hi Corsair,

I was wondering, is it possible to run water over the Radiator portion of the H80 in the event that I want to clean the Radiator? Or are there some electric components in the Radiator that might get damaged if I do so?

Thanks!

Hi Corsair,

I was wondering, is it possible to run water over the Radiator portion of the H80 in the event that I want to clean the Radiator? Or are there some electric components in the Radiator that might get damaged if I do so?

Thanks!

No, the radiator has no electrical components just be sure the pump bit which is the thingy that sticks on the CPU doesn't get wet.

i may be wrong but still, who puts electrical components in a area which is most likely going to touch water. best to wait for a person who owns the H80 to respond.

Well over here, a can of compressed air costs only VERY slightly less than a tube of MX-4 (Say about $4 USD difference at worst), and I pretty much exhaust about half of the can per cleaning... If I want to be thorough I could well exhaust the entire can.

On the other hand 1 tube of thermal grease is going to last me many many re-sits.

with all due respect, if you want to dismantle your cooling system every couple months and run the risk of something breaking/stripping/leaking/not cooling as well as the initial paste go for it. i'd be the last one to stop you.

i just dont think you have weighed all the pros and cons of your suggestion.

however to answer your initial question...no, water will not damage the radiator itself.

btw, a vacuum cleaner hose with the soft brush attachment will work too for free.

with all due respect, if you want to dismantle your cooling system every couple months and run the risk of something breaking/stripping/leaking/not cooling as well as the initial paste go for it. i'd be the last one to stop you.

i just dont think you have weighed all the pros and cons of your suggestion.

however to answer your initial question...no, water will not damage the radiator itself.

btw, a vacuum cleaner hose with the soft brush attachment will work too for free.

Yes, thanks and point taken. Just wanted to know if it is possible to wash the radiator portion under water.

Have tried on a H60 already; Not cost effective at all.

I agree Canned Air is too expensive I would suggest this "Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster" ..I bought one of these a few months ago and said goodbye to canned air forever :) check out the reviews on it http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=wl_it_dp_v?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWJP9192D7XEB&colid=3HVODAJEQTVZR

I agree Canned Air is too expensive I would suggest this "Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt, 0.75-HP Electric Duster" ..I bought one of these a few months ago and said goodbye to canned air forever :) check out the reviews on it http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=wl_it_dp_v?ie=UTF8&coliid=IWJP9192D7XEB&colid=3HVODAJEQTVZR

Wow that looks really good!! Thanks for sharing... Might well get one of those. :D:

I use an air compressor myself. If you have one you can buy a small cheap dryer/filter to add to it. That way you get clean dry air .Just turn down the regulator so you are not using full pressure.(about 25-30psi) which is about what a can of air produces, and the dryer takes care of any moisture that would happen to come from the compressor.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-201-14-1-Gallon-Hang-Up-Vacuum/dp/B0001FFM3O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312848624&sr=8-2

&

http://amzn.com/B00002ND4G

A 1 gallon Shop-Vac with the Micro-Cleaning Kit does wonders for cleaning dust from my rigs and doesn't leave my entire desk tasting of the nasty bitterant put into canned air these days to deter knuckleheads from using it to kill brain cells.

The computer is not the only place this thing comes in handy. Both for only $60 bucks is a very good investment.

Archived