Corsair Community

RM850x cables I'm confused

peter247

I have just got a RM850x in white ( CP-9020188-uk )

Looking to get some better braided cables for the sata connectors, but I'm a little confused !!!!!

From your cable-compatibility list https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/psu-cable-compatibility it says the sata and peripheral connectors are type 3 and can see from the cables, this is true.

But the braided cables kits say there are for any type 4 which the RM850x is included in their list.

So how do a get a better braided cables for the sata , for type 3 ? or are they the same for that cable and for some other they are type 4.

----------------------------------------

You have just proven my point !!!!!!

----------------------------------------

Type 4 Gen. 3 Individually Sleeved Cables , for the 1200, 1000, 850, 750, 650, 550 , Series RMi, RMx, SF

So what is type 3 and 4 are they compatible ? , and why do I get type 4 gen 3 cables for type 3 cables , NOT HELPING with the confusion .

NOT HELPING .

Capital letters are normally taken as 'shouting'.... at me while trying to help you in my own free time. I am just a normal user like your self and giving up my Sunday afternoon at the same time.. try not to be so frustrated buddy

For your reading pleasure :). from a quick Google search for 'Corsair type 4 vs type 3 cables' i gained the below info for you.

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/blog/Explanation-of-RMi-New-Type-4-Cables

The Corsair RMi Series is our newest line of PC power supplies and the reviewers can't say enough good things about it!

One of the biggest compliments we received about the RMi is how low the ripple is under load. Tony Day of JonnyGURU.com measured only 11mV of ripple on the +12V rail of an RM750i at full load. And Aris Mpitziopoulos of TechPowerUp! measured only 17.5mV of ripple on the +12V rail of an RM1000i.

Screenshot from the oscilloscope used during the JonnyGURU.com review of the RM750i

This improved ripple suppression is a direct result of the Type 4 cables included with the RMi Series power supplies. The Type 4 cables have the same pin-out as Type 3 cables, but include small, solid capacitors on the +12V, +5V and +3.3V leads on the 24-pin, PCIe and EPS12V cables.

Without these capacitors, ripple is still very acceptable; being as high as 25mV with a full load on the +12V rail of an RM1000i. This is exhibited on the HX1000i, which uses the same technologies as the RMi, but does not come with the Type 4 cables.

The 24-pin of the Type 4 cable set also has a unique feature not implemented in the standard Type 3 cables. There are a total of 28-pins where the cable plugs into the PSU's modular interface, instead of the usual 24-pins. The extra four pins are "sense wires". While a +3.3V sense is part of the ATX standard and is found on most PSUs, it is not often implemented. The RMi not only utilizes the +3.3V sense on the ATX connector, but also utilizes an additional +12V sense and +5V sense. These sense wires read the voltages at the load (the end of the cable) and can increase voltage automatically if voltages drop.

The combination of these two improvements made to the RMi's cable set contributes to the exceptional voltage regulation and ripple suppression all of our customers and the reviewers have been talking about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the sata cables on their own

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/premium-individually-sleeved-sata-cable-type-4-generation-3-config/p/CP-8920186

Accessory Model 1200, 1000, 850, 750, 650, 550

Weight 1.0525

Series RMi, RMx, SF

Pin Out Type 4

Product Family ACCESSORIES

Channel Attribute RETAIL

Product Name Type 4 Gen. 3 Individually Sleeved Cables

Product Type DC Cable Kit

Color Blue/BlackAccessory Model 1200, 1000, 850, 750, 650, 550

Weight 1.0525

Series RMi, RMx, SF

Pin Out Type 4

Product Family ACCESSORIES

Channel Attribute RETAIL

Product Name Type 4 Gen. 3 Individually Sleeved Cables

Product Type DC Cable Kit

Edited by Zotty

Thank you … and sorry !!!!!

so type 3 and type 4 are pin compatible they just have a extra cap in the leads , which means the full leads sets will still be mix of type 3 and type 4 leads ?

Edited by peter247

they will be type 4's in the premium braided kits and type 3's in the supplied stock cables as far as i can tell

as you can see, the below braided sata cable is type 4

-CP-8920186-Gallery-CP-01.png

Thank you for your help again, You can see why I`m confused ? .

They could say for Type 5 PSUs, which would be the same pin compatible cable has type 3 and 4 but now braided.