Corsair Community

780t Fan Connection question

snowy2015

I am building a system around a 780t.

The MB is a ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi.

The 780t case has the 2 140mm fans at the front and 1 140mm fan at the rear.

Should I connect those three fans to the fan connectors provided in the case (there are 4 of them) which I PRESUME will mean that I can control them with the button on the top of the case ?

OR

Should I connect them to fan headers on my motherboard ?

I'm really unsure as to the best way to go on this.

(BTW: CPU cooling is a H115i Pro RGB that is going in the top horizontal space.)

Many many thanks in advance for any advice and help :)

I think is mostly down to preference with one caveat. The fan controller on the 780T is DC, so it will only work with 3 pin DC motor fans. The stock fans are. Many others are PWM 4 pin and that won't work out right.

On the box fan controller, it's 5/7/12v or basically low/med/high speeds. If it's within arms reach and you aren't picky about exact RPMs, this works fine. You can make it quiet/hurricane in a second.

On the motherboard, you have the option to program control curves. That is a plus and a minus. You can make the control points very specific, but then everything is balanced on a few degrees of one temperature. Most motherboards default to CPU temperature and that is not a useful control variable for most people and not what case fans do. Some boards have better options like thermistor sensors, motherboard sensor, or anything else, but this does require you to learn the normal range of temperature and likely make some corrections along the way. The problem with this is most changes need to be made in the BIOS (requiring reboot to access) or the use of MB fan control software, which can have other consequences to other control programs.

In the end, your case environment and resulting hardware temps don't change because you run 100 rpm faster or slower. Managing the fans is mostly about managing the noise to be comfortable without letting temps get out of control. If you are fine with the L/M/H case controller, you are not likely to any revelations on the motherboard.