Corsair Community

Maximum Number of Hard Drives in Obsidian 550D and 750D

laceiba

I am looking to build a file server for a friend that will potentially contain a lot of 3.5-inch hard drives, perhaps as many as 12. I love the 550D with its noise reduction features, but I suspect it will not accommodate that many drives. My questions are:

• What is the maximum number of hard drives I can put in the 550D and the 750D?
  • I see that I can purchase extra drive cages. Can those be used to increase the hard drive capacities?
  • Can the 5.25-inch bays be removed and replaced with 3.5-inch cages?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You could strip the 750D down and remove the optical drive cage by drilling the rivets out, but you would then have the groblem of how to fit the 3.5" drive bays. If, as suggested in the thread that you found, it is possible to install an extra 2 drive cages on top of the existing 2, it may be possible to install a further 2 cages on top again, in the space previously occupied by the optical drive mounts. It would probably be easier to use a 4 into 3 housing mounted into the optical drive slots which would at least get you 4 drives. Don't forget that the limit on the number of drives may be the Sata data and power connections.

I don't like the idea of drilling out anything in the case, but it sounds like I have some options and that the 750D is the way to go. I would pick a beefy enough power supply to serve the 12 HDs. It looks like hard drives I am considering generally consume around 10 Watts when active, so even with 12 of them, it is not a huge demand. I would get some SATA power extensions and probably use a hardware bus adapter to get enough data connections.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think so. I bought an Icy Box one off Amazon, it has an LED fan for cooling which is controllabe for speed and LED on or off, and you can switch individual drives off. It also uses only 2 Sata power connectors. They also do a cheaper one without the frills and Akasa also do one.

Archived