Corsair Community

Can you use the iCUE Commander PRO standalone, without connection to a motherboard?

skjoedt

Hello

I have rack for my network and servers at home, since i installed some new equipment it is getting a little toasty, so i was thinking about creating some air circulation in my rack with some fans.

I do not have a motherboard available, where i could connect the iCUE Commander PRO, so i was think about making an adapter for the SATA power cable and then just power the iCUE Commander PRO with pure SATA power and nothing else.

I don't care if the fans connected to the iCUE Commander PRO will run at max. speed 24/7 or if they will only run at a static speed, since the rack is in a seperate room and noise would not matter too much. :)

I hope some of you guys can help answer me if this would be possible or the iCUE Commander PRO need a USB-connection to function?

Best Regards

Frederik

It's totally possible.

You can even connect a thermistor to it and set a fan curve to cool the rack.

All you'd need to do is just make an adapter with a spare USB lead, like to plug it to a laptop and set the fan curve with iCUE.

Then when you unplug the USB, it will control the fans from that thermistor reading.

My fan at the office is just that.. old corsair fans with a commander pro and a thermistor. Very handy in summer :p

• Confused 1

Hey there, it should still provide power when you have SATA power going through it. You may need to connect it to USB the first though to enable the fan headers. It won't require USB to continue running though.

Thank you very much, i might give it a try! :)

It's totally possible.

You can even connect a thermistor to it and set a fan curve to cool the rack.

All you'd need to do is just make an adapter with a spare USB lead, like to plug it to a laptop and set the fan curve with iCUE.

Then when you unplug the USB, it will control the fans from that thermistor reading.

My fan at the office is just that.. old corsair fans with a commander pro and a thermistor. Very handy in summer :p

Thank you very much, i might give it a try! :)

And sounds really nice and quiet for cooling during the summer period :D