Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 AM
jld78's PC Specs

POST ID # = 370619
jld78 Reputation: 10
Default Asus P5 Q and TWIN2X2048-6400 G compatibility

Hello,

I have a very big problem with my new PC : I cannot install correctly any Linux distribution and even Wndows installation is difficult, because the PC stops during installation, and the keyboard LEDs capslock and scroll are blinking.

This explanation seems a little big long, but I tried to make it the clearest and the most accurate as possible, to help my problem solving. Thanks to be patient to read it.

After many experiments, I discovered memtest86+ returns many memory errors.

Please notice that this memory set reference does not exist exactly in the Corsair Memory Configurator at
http://corsair.com/configurator/prod...aspx?id=688452 , but only TWIN2X2048-6400 with 2 DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C5) modules and TWIN2X2048-6400C4 with 2 DDR2-800 (XMS2-6400C4) modules are listed, which have not the same timings. Other references exist, but no one has the "G" index. May be the modules set is not compatible with my motherboard ?

What is written on memory module 1 :
CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-18
1.90V ver5.2 800MHz
1024MB
1241032 08311810 XMS2-6400

What is written on memory module 2 :
CM2X1024-6400 5-5-5-18
1.90V ver5.2 800MHz
1024MB
1241031 08311810 XMS2-6400

I tried memtest86+ which showed many errors, using the bios default memory configuration :
errors with modules 1 and 2 on DDR2_DIMM_A1 and B1 slots (yellow)
errors with module 1 only on DDR2_DIMM_A1 slot (yellow)
ONLY 1 error with module 2 only on DDR2_DIMM_A1 slot (yellow)
NO errors with module 1 only on A2 slot (black)
NO errors with module 1 only on A2 slot (black)
errors with modules 1 and 2 on A2 and B2 slots (black)

So I flashed the Bios from version 0506 to 1306, then I tried a Debian installation, but it has stopped during it.
errors with modules 1 and 2 on A2 and B2 slots (black)

I tried to use 1.9V for the DDR voltage (in place of Auto in the Bios) :
NO errors with modules 1 and 2 on A2 and B2 slots (black)
errors with modules 1 and 2 on A1 and B1 slots (yellow)

Then I tried to set the delays to 5-5-5-18 (still with 1.9V) :
errors with modules 1 and 2 on A1 and B1 slots (yellow)
NO errors with module 2 on A2 and module 1 on B2 slots (black)
NO errors with module 1 on A2 and module 2 on B2 slots (black)

After that, I installed a Debian Lenny distribution WITHOUT ANY ERROR. on the Sata disk.

It seems that in any case the yellow slots are not working correctly.

Finally my question is : now I have a running system, if I want to add other memory modules on yellow slots, my PC will not work. That means it is limited to two slots. What should I do to make ALL memory slots working correctly ?

Thanks to have read all this history, and thanks in advance for your answer.

Last edited by Wired; 10-11-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: moved specs to profile

Old 10-10-2008, 07:16 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 370714
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld78 View Post
Finally my question is : now I have a running system, if I want to add other memory modules on yellow slots, my PC will not work. That means it is limited to two slots. What should I do to make ALL memory slots working correctly ?
I would work towards an RMA with the motherboard manufacturer. Give them the history of testing and the resultant issue and they should respond with RMA. Keep in mind that if you do this and get a new board back, you are still advised to drop the DRAM speed when you populate all four DRAM slots.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 370715
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld78 View Post
It seems that in any case the yellow slots are not working correctly.

I would agree with Derek. If the modules are working without any problems in the other 2 slots, then I would contact Asus and see if they would recommend having the board replaced. There is no reason why the memory would work in 2 DIMM slots, and not the others.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:00 AM
jld78's PC Specs

POST ID # = 370751
jld78 Reputation: 10

Thanks for your anwers.

But I don't understand well what means "if you do this and get a new board back, you are still advised to drop the DRAM speed when you populate all four DRAM slots"

Does that means that with four RAM*modules the speed must be reduced ? But 800MHz is near the lowest, 667 Mhz for this board ? And for what reason ? This kind of limitation does not appear ont the P5Q user guide...

Old 10-11-2008, 03:32 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 370754
DerekT Reputation: 10

It is advised to drop the bandwidth when populating with four DRAM slots. Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showth...gabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

If you intend on running the four sticks at the full speed of a kit, then I would advise you to raise the MCH (Memory Controller Hub / Northbridge) to 1.45v on that motherboard. I would not increase the voltage to the DRAM greater than 2.1v which is the maximum warranted voltage for that DRAM.