Corsair Community

Will the new TWINX2048-4400PRO work on P4 Platforms?

Clint H.

Hi all. I was about to order some of this new TWINX2048-4400PRO memory, but I finally found the PDF for it at the Corsair website and I as I expected, they ONLY mention AMD in it! (What's the deal, why is no one making any DDR550+ memory for P4 platforms any longer???) :mad:

I'm hoping someone can tell me if this memory will work on a P4 platform at the DDR550 speed. My mobo is the P4C800-E Deluxe, (and my CPU will do at least DDR580, 290mhz bus @1:1).

Thanks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all. I was about to order some of this new TWINX2048-4400PRO memory, but I finally found the PDF for it at the Corsair website and I as I expected, they ONLY mention AMD in it! (What's the deal, why is no one making any DDR550+ memory for P4 platforms any longer???) :mad:

I'm hoping someone can tell me if this memory will work on a P4 platform at the DDR550 speed. My mobo is the P4C800-E Deluxe, (and my CPU will do at least DDR580, 290mhz bus @1:1).

Thanks.

The problem is that they mention only currently produced platforms, not recently discontinued platforms, in that PDF. Right now, all currently produced Intel platforms require the use of DDR2 memory, as all of Intel's DDR1 chipsets have been recently discontinued.

Why WOULDN'T it work? :)

Well because the PDF datasheet only speaks about the AMD platform: "This memory kit consists of two CMX1024-4400PRO memory modules that have been tested together on an AMD dual channel DDR motherboard at DDR550 (275 MHz)." And: "Tested as a matched pair in a 275MHz AMD test setup."

So, going by that, if I shell out over 300 bucks for these and they don't work on my P4C800-E Deluxe @DDR550, I'm screwed because technically no one is under any obligation to take them back because I'm not using AMD.

I wish someone from Corsair would clear this up definitively. Unless you know for a fact they will work, please let me know.

Thanks.

Corsair won't respond. Why? Weekend :)

RESEARCH.

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/mini/search_redir.aspx?type=mb&mfgid=75&modelid=120

Answer: YES. How they test it doesn't limit the capability of the memory.

Yeah I figured that. ;): But I thought someone from them might be here at the boards.

Well I went to the URL and nothing happens. I tried all areas and the page just refreshes and resets all values after I click "Go" or the mobo model #! Friggin' cookie BS. :mad: It works now. :rant: Why a site demands you accept a cookie for things like that I never understand. :confused:

Ok, I see it's listed, so thanks a bunch Wired. I appreciate it. I'm not sure what to make of this though since when I put a checkbox next to the TWINX2048-4400PRO in that box at the bottom of the page of listed memory under "A Complete List of Modules Compatible with your Product", the popup is blank! Yet when I check anything else, the popup has the memory info! At any rate, it IS on the page as compatible, so that's good.

Thank you again. :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Well people, after forking out 310 bucks on this POS memory, and after being told it would WORK, this crap barely loads the Desktop!! BSOD's out the a$$ and all the stability of a Tijuana crack wh0re on withdrawal.

I installed the memory, went in the BIOS and set the it to 275mhz memory speed, 3-4-4-8, restarted and got that typical "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". So I changed it to SPD settings. Same thing, another BSOD right when the Desktop loaded, except this time I think it was "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". I went into Safe Mode and changed the PageFile to 3gb. Same crap. I tried changing the PageFile again in Safe Mode to "System managed size", same BS. :confused:

Also, the PC won't even restart while in Safe Mode, I have to click the "Reset" button on the PC case! It just hangs up on "Windows is shutting down......". Other BSOD errors were "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

I'm not positively sure of exactly when those specific BSOD's occurred, but I am positive of their names because I wrote them down.

The best I was able to do, for some reason, when getting XP to load in the normal mode, was when I got as far as opening OE, one of the BSOD's happened. Also on another try, I was copying files from one HD to another and the BSOD happened again.

Pathetic. And what really sucks about this is the other memory I was looking at (OC*) had its rebate end yesterday! So now I'm doubly screwed. :mad: This has got to be the worst buying decision I EVER made.

[update]

HOLY ****, IT GETS EVEN WORSE! This apparently ruined my HD! I can't even start OE now, it says OE is corrupt!!! Look at this crap on the screenshots!!!! Now how the hell am I going to get to my customers' emails!!!! I tried running chkdsk and that did nothing! Still can't open it! :mad: :mad: :mad: Now how in the hell am I going to fix this!!??

1.png.4fb7c0da67f713e260fd99b29e9f2a35.png

2.png.fe3f757d2552c59009ef851d60fafb88.png

My OE is STILL #$%&@! DEAD! I have tried chkdsk, SFC /scannow, even a registry backup generated by "ERUNT", plus I even copied over a backup of MSOE.DLL and it still won't start, and I'm still getting those error messages!

I was finally able to fix OE and get it started by deleting the folders.dbx file. However, there is also other corruption now showing up!! (Yes, my old sticks are back in my PC).

Obviously Corsair needs to pull these from the market a second time!! So much for their "testing" and quality control!!

They weren't pulled a first time, and one person having problems that haven't even been diagnosed yet is no reason to pull a product off the market.

So, are you running the FSB:MEM ratio @ 1:1, or something else?

Try these settings:

Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Command Rate: 2T

(yes, I know they're the same, just clarifying what timing is what for other readers)

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts (warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts, some have found 2.60 is better for the 4000 series)

All other settings to defaults.

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

Based on your specifications you list, you get a better OC with 2 x 256mb (3.4ghz) than you do with 2 x 512mb (3.0ghz). If this is any indication, module density is going to affect your OCability. Can you list what settings you are trying to use including all your voltages, RAM, and CPU settings. Also, do you have any active NB cooling? And, can you relist what PSU you are using and the specs on it?

And, have you reset CMOS since you added the new memory? Often when adding/changing memory, a CMOS reset is required and will work wonders.

Mike.

Based on your specifications you list, you get a better OC with 2 x 256mb (3.4ghz) than you do with 2 x 512mb (3.0ghz). If this is any indication, module density is going to affect your OCability.

Actually, most of today's 256MB modules have the very same IC density as their 512MB siblings - because most of today's 256MB modules are SS. However, modern memory controllers perform best with four banks of memory total. 2 x 256MB modules would result in only two banks of memory being used, which may result in lower performance. And that's not to mention that modern 2 x 256MB SS modules share the same OC'ing limits as their 2 x 512MB siblings.

On the other hand, the older 2 x 256MB modules in a DS configuration (with 128Mbit density IC's) would not work with any platform that's newer than a Socket 478 Intel P4 system due to minimum requirements and restrictions of any of the newer memory controllers.

They weren't pulled a first time, and one person having problems that haven't even been diagnosed yet is no reason to pull a product off the market.

So, are you running the FSB:MEM ratio @ 1:1, or something else?

Try these settings:

Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

CAS Latency (tCL): 3

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4

Row Precharge (tRP): 4

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8

Command Rate: 2T

(yes, I know they're the same, just clarifying what timing is what for other readers)

Memory Voltage: 2.75 Volts (warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts, some have found 2.60 is better for the 4000 series)

All other settings to defaults.

Test one stick at a time in each slot using Memtest86+.

Hello, I call it "pulled" when places were selling these modules, then they just disappeared and also could not be found at the Corsair website. If that's not "pulled" or "recalled", then, whatever you want to call it is fine by me.

Yes, they are 1:1. This mobo doesn't have the Command Rate setting. I find it hard to believe that 2.85v Vs 2.75v can cause all these problems. I didn't try the Vdimm that low, but if you actually think that's the problem, I will. These modules are not at the URL you provided.

Running MemTest, WMD, Prime, etc., and with both or one stick, is irrelevant and a further waste of time. Regardless of 0 errors or a million+ errors, the result is the same; (so far) they don't work and have to be returned/replaced as a matched dual-channel set.

Based on your specifications you list, you get a better OC with 2 x 256mb (3.4ghz) than you do with 2 x 512mb (3.0ghz). If this is any indication, module density is going to affect your OCability. Can you list what settings you are trying to use including all your voltages, RAM, and CPU settings. Also, do you have any active NB cooling? And, can you relist what PSU you are using and the specs on it?

And, have you reset CMOS since you added the new memory? Often when adding/changing memory, a CMOS reset is required and will work wonders.

Mike.

Hi, I've already listed the memory settings, what other settings do you want me to list? I'm not interested so much in an O'clock, the memory is...was not O'clocked so this should have no bearing on anything. My CPU is capable of at least 3.6ghz (tested with some other test memory). I think I listed in my specs that I WAS using a 512mb DC kit (PC4000, another brand) that would do 281mhz bus (~3.4ghz). I then got the same brand and model in a 1gb DC kit (what's currently in the PC) that will only do its rated DDR500. The CPU is more than capable of running the 3.3ghz these Corsair modules support.

Since all S478 HT P4 platforms use the 200mhz bus, ANY memory over PC3200 is an O'clock of the CPU @ 1:1 ratio. So even PC3500 memory using an HT P4 platform is an O'clock. Using PC4400 memory at its default speed is of course an even higher O'clock of the CPU, and since this PC4400 memory was supposed to run in this P4 platform as told to me by Corsair, it should do just that and at its rated specs.

I haven't installed the Sintek 500SLI yet, I'm using the Fortron-Source FSP400-60PFN ( http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/06/09/high_power_for_power_users/page15.html ), actually is 450 watts. I don't recall the specs on it, but they are somewhere in that review. It's a very highly rated PS by every site that's tested it.

Not only does the NB have a fan, but the highest temps I've EVER got on any piece of hardware is only about 100°F and that's the CPU under load! Everything runs very cool, usually even cooler than room temp. I have everything monitored with a DigiDoc 5.

You already know my memory timings & settings, CPU settings (and Vcore is 1.6v), and all other memory settings are set to [Auto]. There's only about 2 others besides the x-x-x-x memory timings. FYI, mobo manual: http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/P4C800E-DX/e1347b_p4c800-e_deluxe.pdf , around page 86 is memory settings. The only other adjustable voltage is AGP which is set to 1.7v.

I haven't reset the CMOS, I don't see how that would help, but again, if you think it will I'll try it. It's just a PITA to get things set back after that.

What the hell happened to my other MAIN post on this!??? Someone from Corsair didn't "like the sound" of it?? "TWINX2048-4400PRO Disastrous results!! BSOD's, Desktop barely loads, now HD corrupt!!" http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=243992 . THAT is the thread where this conversation should be held since this is a NEW issue! Because of the title, this thread title is now obsolete and irrelevant, and will yield far fewer replies and information than the other thread!

From both posts above, the reason the modules "disappeared" is that they were out of stock. These modules and the sister modules (PC3500LL) sell VERY fast and frequently disappear from stock listings.

I would suggest either 2.85v or 2.85v on memory. This can make a huge difference.

And, testing each stick individually is not a waste or time. IF you find that each stick will run individually then, you have determined that the memory is not faulty. Therefore, some other system component is responsible.

Also, I have not Googled for your power supply specifications. However, what you are posting "could" be a power related issue.

As to the settings, there are 2 you should double check AFTER resetting CMOS. Make sure in the CPU section that the Performance Mode is set to STANDARD. And, in the memory section make sure the Memory Performance Mode is set to AUTO. I can't explain to you in scientific terms why resetting CMOS could be helpful here but, RAM GUY frequently recommends it so I am confident that there is a valid reason for it.

As for memory timings, I always prefer to set the 4 primary timings manually. I don't trust the bios to do it for me. I would suggest using the timings provided above by Wired set manually and also set burst length to 8.

And just so we are clear:

Since all S478 HT P4 platforms use the 200mhz bus, ANY memory over PC3200 is an O'clock of the CPU @ 1:1 ratio. So even PC3500 memory using an HT P4 platform is an O'clock. Using PC4400 memory at its default speed is of course an even higher O'clock of the CPU, and since this PC4400 memory was supposed to run in this P4 platform as told to me by Corsair, it should do just that and at its rated specs.

What you have posted here is not exactly accurate. If you are at a 1:1 AND with the CPU FSB still at 200mhz, then the CPU and the memory are NOT OCed. Just because memory is rated at PC4400 does mean it is running 4400. You probably realize this but the way you worded it makes me wonder. What is the fastest FSB you have previously run stable?

What the hell happened to my other MAIN post on this!??? Someone from Corsair didn't "like the sound" of it??

And, it's a weekend so no one from Corsair is here. Also, you seem upset since your computer is having problems but the mild expletives are against forum rules.

Mike.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?t=48305

Only just came out in the retail market it looks like.

Naa, like I said they were being sold many months back, then left the scene and left Corsair's site. During that time I saw reviews on them and many were indicating there were 3D crashes using them. Because of these items is why I used the term "pulled".

Naa, like I said they were being sold many months back, then left the scene and left Corsair's site. During that time I saw reviews on them and many were indicating there were 3D crashes using them. Because of these items is why I used the term "pulled".

Not the 2gb versions. The 2gb kits ( 2 x 1024mb ) have just been released. Wired gave you the info above. And it hit shelves after the PC3500LL which is based on the same IC. You might be thinking of the PC4400C2.5 (512mb modules only) or the PC40002gb kit which was totally different memory.

Regradless of the misconception this RAM has not been "pulled". And, it has nothing to do with your current problem.

What the hell happened to my other MAIN post on this!??? Someone from Corsair didn't "like the sound" of it?? "TWINX2048-4400PRO Disastrous results!! BSOD's, Desktop barely loads, now HD corrupt!!" http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=243992 . THAT is the thread where this conversation should be held since this is a NEW issue! Because of the title, this thread title is now obsolete and irrelevant, and will yield far fewer replies and information than the other thread!
You were double posting and as such the threads were automatically combined.

I would suggest either 2.85v or 2.85v on memory. This can make a huge difference.
2.75 - 2.85 I take it? :)

Archived