The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:08 AM

POST ID # = 607514
mactalla Reputation: 10
Big Grin Firmware upgrade with Linux -- It works!

Being happy with my Corsair RAM & PSU I didn't think twice about getting a Corsair SSD. Too late did I discover the .. err situation w.r.t. upgrading the firmware. Honestly I was shocked. But lemons and lemonade, etc.

Thanks to Yellowbeard for this little tidbit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Our firmware packages and the update tools both come from SandForce in their complete form.
It's nice to know that the firmware is a clean drop from SandForce with nothing special done to it. I was able to confirm that only the header is different between the .vic files as delivered by Corsair and the firmware releases by other SandForce vendors.

What this all means is that the firmware updater also is nothing special (cf. again Yellowbeard's comment). I can confirm that the Linux firmware updater for SandForce SSDs is not vendor specific. I know I can't mention anyone by name, so I'll just mention that Wikipedia has a nice list of SSDs with the SF controller. A number of those do distribute the Linux updater (sadly not our Corsair...)

For reference:
I flashed a 60GB Force 3 SSD from fw ver 1.3.3 to 5.03 using Updater version 1.0.1.100223 under Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit and it couldn't have been easier. No mucking with boot disks, Windows, or other nuisances. I noted that more than one vendor is distributing that exact version of the Updater so really it doesn't matter where you get it from.

Hopefully Mac users can benefit from this information as well.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM

POST ID # = 609378
xdarma Reputation: 10

Good to know, thank you for sharing.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM
FrankT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 609893
FrankT Reputation: 10
Default Follow up

Hey there !

@mactalla: Thanks for heads up; you saved me alot of hassles; I was hesitating between buying a Windows license or giving up a perfectly good drive.

Sorry for the post redundancy, but I was hesitating at first and figured that some people would be a tad more confident hearing it in stereo.

So :

Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on ASUS P8Z77-V PRO. I build a few of these system but only one with a SSD (a treat to myself !) on which I had random system freezes on a daily baisis (while the others did not). Flashed my Force 3 GT from 1.3.3 to 5.03 and it never happened again (roughly two weeks now, on a busy system running 24/7).

The "LiveCD" solutions work, and then there are a few who just ship the SandForce tool to run it on your own OS... it's the same tool... I would suggest not bothering with the LiveCD.

For those who still hesitate, let me add that the tool shipped for every sandforce drive is exactly the same let it be for a bit of branding; you can follow up with Corsair's HOWTO pdf (see Yellowbeard's posts). You will, of course, need to grab the firmwares from Corsair...

have fun !

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 PM

POST ID # = 613648
dOCZ Reputation: 10
Question

could you please tell me which tools are needed??

Im currently using a Force GT 120 + Macbook Pro.

Used to install windows via bootcamp, do all the tricks to make AHCI running then finally upgrade my firmware..

but using a live cd or even some native mac utility would help me a lot ;)

soo... where can I find this "Sandforce firmware linux updater"?? the only one I found was the OCZ version =/

thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:13 PM

POST ID # = 613667

Around here they don't want anyone to mention a competitor by name. Please refrain from doing so in the future.

You have already found the correct tool. Sandforce creates and distributes the firmware updater to the SSD makers who uses their (Sandforce's) controllers (Corsair + others). These SSD manufacturers slap their name and sometimes their logo on this software but otherwise do not modify it. That means that the firmware updating tool is functionally identical. Just ignore the visual differences as it is irrelevant.

Now, what tools do you need? You say you have a Mac. Do any manufacturers of Sandforce Driven SSDs offer a Mac updating tool? (That's not rhetorical, I never looked into that). If someone does, then go ahead and use that.

Otherwise, you'll want a Linux updating tool. You want either the stand alone tool that you would run after booting any Linux LiveCD of your choosing, or you can get a pre-built LiveCD that contains the updating tool. I know there are at least 2 manufacturers who offer the stand alone tool. I used one of those. I also know at least one manufacturer who offers a Linux LiveCD with the updating tool built into it. I don't remember who that one was since the non-LiveCD is easier for a machine that is already running Linux.

Again to emphasize: the software to upgrade the firmware can be obtained from any manufacturer, but the firmware for your specific drive must be the exact one that Corsair tells you to use.

Hope that clarified things.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

POST ID # = 613749

thank you, for explaining these things !

ok then !

sorry for the brand mentioning, just wanted to be specific..

guess Im going to use that tool after all haha

Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 PM

POST ID # = 614228

wtf mactalla, are you some sort of Linux guru? eww nice stuff there :)

I will try that with the next firmware release.

nice tip about the filesystem, I've never tried that with files from a flashdrive, even knowing that you can create stuff (like a .doc sample using the bundled office-like utilities)

Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM

POST ID # = 625984
weimaraner Reputation: 10

please I'm desperate, I can not update the firmware

my motherboard does not support ACHI

WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO UPDATE USING 64-BIT KUBUNTU?

I know nothing about LINUX

THANKS

Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM

POST ID # = 626082

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimaraner View Post
my motherboard does not support ACHI
Do you mean that your BIOS doesn't have any option to enable AHCI or that when you enable it then Windows won't run?

If it's the first I'm afraid you need to find another computer to do the update on. I haven't heard of any way to access the firmware without AHCI.

If it's the second then we can probably help you out.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM

POST ID # = 625989
Sad Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactalla View Post
Being happy with my Corsair RAM & PSU I didn't think twice about getting a Corsair SSD. Too late did I discover the .. err situation w.r.t. upgrading the firmware. Honestly I was shocked. But lemons and lemonade, etc.

For reference:
I flashed a 60GB Force 3 SSD from fw ver 1.3.3 to 5.03 using Updater version 1.0.1.100223 under Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit and it couldn't have been easier. No mucking with boot disks, Windows, or other nuisances.

Please could you tell me step by step how you did

Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM

POST ID # = 626108
Talking I refer to this

I refer to this

Quote:

For reference:
I flashed a 60GB Force 3 SSD from fw ver 1.3.3 to 5.03 using Updater version 1.0.1.100223 under Kubuntu 12.04 64-bit and it couldn't have been easier. No mucking with boot disks, Windows, or other nuisances.

my motherboard does not support ACHI mode

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM

POST ID # = 630291
TarAldarion Reputation: 10

Interested in the process as to how this is done thanks. In fact there are probably a hundred of them that need this firmware upgrade in work, running ubuntu 64bit

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM

POST ID # = 630399

I've PM'd you the link to the firmware update tool.

To update:
1. Download the .zip file from the link I sent you.
2. Unzip it.
3. Mark the 64bit file as executable.
4. Run it.
5. Scan for your drive(s) and identify which firmware is needed for it (the drive signature).
6. Download the proper firmware from Corsair's site.
7. Feed that firmware into the updater and have it update the drive.
8. Repeat as needed for your other drive(s).

Oh, and I think they recommend rebooting the machine after updating the firmware is changed.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM

POST ID # = 634772
skybub Reputation: 10

Quote:
I've PM'd you the link to the firmware update tool.

To update:
1. Download the .zip file from the link I sent you.
2. Unzip it.
3. Mark the 64bit file as executable.
4. Run it.
5. Scan for your drive(s) and identify which firmware is needed for it (the drive signature).
6. Download the proper firmware from Corsair's site.
7. Feed that firmware into the updater and have it update the drive.
8. Repeat as needed for your other drive(s).

Oh, and I think they recommend rebooting the machine after updating the firmware is changed.
Hi Mactalla,

Is this method OK on a Mac computer running Lubuntu live CD ?

Could you then post the flash tool ?

Regards

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM

POST ID # = 634776

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybub View Post
Is this method OK on a Mac computer running Lubuntu live CD ?
Yes, if you boot a Lubuntu LiveCD then you're running Linux and can follow the Linux instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybub View Post
Could you then post the flash tool ?
PM sent.

Tags
linux, linux firmware upgrade