Corsair Community

My experience with the Corsair's Obsidian

jrock75

I received my case Saturday and am very happy with 95% of it. I should note that my case was shipped with FedEx, which I would suggest to anyone that will be ordering this case. There was one broken piece which appears that it was shipped with. The rear access to the CPU is made with a cheap piece of plastic and one of the tabs was broken off that hold it in place. Currently I have duct tape holding it in place (Not Cool). I sure hope that Corsair will replace this part for me. A few other things that everyone should consider are pump clearance, negative air pressure, and the plastic hot swap trays. If you have a Swiftech MCP655 pump it will not fit in the lower compartment. I was able to use the Bitspower mod replacement top to change the outlet direction so that it would fit. The negative air pressure in the case maybe a problem if you install the three fans on the top of the case. I installed 3 high speed fans and the pressure was so bad that the rear exhaust fan stopped, then began to spin backwards. I have since reversed the fan, so that it is an intake fan. Lastly, the plastic hot swap trays have a cheap plastic lock to hold the lever in place. I broke one while installing a drive. This was my fault, but be careful it doesn't take much to break because of the plastic parts.

Ram Guy: I have yet to get a reply about an email regarding getting a replacement part for my CPU rear access cover. Is there anything you can do to help me? Also is there a way that I may purchase a replacement hard drive tray since I broke one?

Thank You

P.S. Here is a photo of my new build with EVGA Classified and 2 GTX 295's.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/jrock755/IMG_0375.jpg

. If you have a Swiftech MCP655 pump it will not fit in the lower compartment.

That might be the deal breaker for me. Nice job and thanks for posting !

Also, does the filter still slide out with the pump sitting on it? Can you take another shot(s) from other angles? Thanks

I installed 3 high speed fans and the pressure was so bad that the rear exhaust fan stopped, then began to spin backwards.

Interesting, never gave that a thought. Strike two. Plus no place for a floppy (yes, I still require a floppy). :)

boogieman: As I said you could use Bitspower top on the pump and some fitting to route the hosing as I did. The filter with a little help was able to fit over the bolt heads also.

Nordic: I have my i7 920 overclocked to 4.2ghz and defaults on the cards. My current temps on my CPU are 42/42/40/40 and that is with CPU Vcore of 1.3 and my cards are similar at 44/40/44/40. I haven't done much testing yet, but using Linx for a short time my cores temp topped out at 70.

I would also like to note that my intent was not to discourage people from getting this case. I love the case! In fact it is the best case that I have ever had and it looks great. It is just a few minor issues that I wanted to make Corsair and fellow system builders aware of.

Nice Setup. I have a similar build in the works but I went with the EK NB/SB Full water block and I am installing 3 9800 GT's until the new 300's come out and I can take a look at them and their watercooling capabilities. I also went with the H50 for my cpu cooling and since that is recommended to have the fan blowing in, I don't forsee the same issue with pressure. I hope it will cool the CPU enough. What Radiator did you use? I am also going to try out the Primochill Typhoon III w/ the pump and see if I like how it works. Did you notice if there is room for another radiator in the bottom? A 120 say for RAM cooling since I am using the H30 also? I am still waiting for the new Corsair 12Gig RAM to become available to complete the build. Any idea or help would be appreciated.

jrock75 - I'm close to getting the Corsair's Obsidian and go with water cooling as well :D:. I am just a little concerned that a 360 rad won't be enough to cool a i7 920 and my GTX 260's.

Do you think you are going to add another rad? If so, were do you plan on placing it?

Also, what rad and fan setup did you use?

jrock75 - I'm close to getting the Corsair's Obsidian and go with water cooling as well :D:. I am just a little concerned that a 360 rad won't be enough to cool a i7 920 and my GTX 260's.

Do you think you are going to add another rad? If so, were do you plan on placing it?

Also, what rad and fan setup did you use?

Here's an older guide I did but might give you an idea how to calculate whether a 360 can do the job.

https://home.comcast.net/~msl1954/Build%20Notes%20A.htm

Dallanar : I’m using a Feser X-Changer Triple 360 Radiator. Regarding a radiator being placed in the bottom, well if you don’t have a pump there maybe but it would be pretty tight.

SpeedRacer: One triple radiator would work fine for your i7 and one GTX 260 providing you have good air flow. I’m running an i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz and 2 GTX 295s, mine is a little warm but still very acceptable. I have considered another radiator, perhaps hanging off the back in the future. I’m currently using the Feser X-Changer Triple 360 Radiator and 3 Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fans. These fans are pretty load and I have a fan controller to turn them down some. Each one is rated at Air Flow of 133.60 CFM and Noise Level of 45.90 dBA.

QUOTE : jrock75

Ram Guy: I have yet to get a reply about an email regarding getting a replacement part for my CPU rear access cover. Is there anything you can do to help me? Also is there a way that I may purchase a replacement hard drive tray since I broke one?

As many of your have read this thread, and have seen that no one from Corsair has replied regarding my first post quoted above. I have called customer service and they informed me that it would take a couple of week because they had to order the parts from overseas. I say parts because I broken a hard drive tray and have requested to purchase a replacement.

Yeah I was planning on yanking out the hard drive tray in the bottom and cutting some fan holes. I am giving the primochill typhoon 3 a try. It is 2 bay mounted (had to bend the guides out of the way) and equipped to run a dual loop and from what I have read it seems to do okay so I decided to give it a shot. Good on the Rad, same one I have ready to go in. I have the xtenders for it but not sure if I am going to use them with my YL 120 fans

• Corsair Employee
As many of your have read this thread, and have seen that no one from Corsair has replied regarding my first post quoted above. I have called customer service and they informed me that it would take a couple of week because they had to order the parts from overseas. I say parts because I broken a hard drive tray and have requested to purchase a replacement.

Please send an email to ramguy@corsairmemory.com with "800D" in the subject line. Include the parts which need to be replaced, your contact information and your shipping address and we will help you ASAP!

Received my case today. Box was in fair shape, no Styrofoam damage and case was in good condition as far as shipping goes.

However there was some paint chips on the case (see attachments) at the corners and the side panel did not want to go back on and stay, the button would not pop back out. Turns out both problems had the same cause. I started filing the top corners of the side so that the top would not hit the case and chip the paint when I touched it up. Apparently the top was hitting the top of the case and not letting it go all the way in because when i filed a little off of the side so that it would not hit the case the side panel latch started working correctly. Rust-Oleum Textured black is a very close match to the finish on this case.

Both problems were minor and I will be able to fix without much trouble. The problem could be fixed in production very easily by trimming the top corners of the side panel by a small amount. The other side fits fine. Now to trial fit a motherboard in the case to see if the cards align. Be aware that there is an extra MB standoff that has to be removed. Don't mount your MB with the standoff in place or you could damage it.

CaseIMG_0012.thumb.jpg.5fd302958a0c1b6d6b9edd4486ef639c.jpg

CaseIMG_0013.thumb.jpg.7bcf75ef97125acebf86a04899c1e8ce.jpg

Archived