Corsair Community

Bad RAM stick? Confusing results.

Weioo

In an attempt to resolve a freezing issue since I installed a new cpu/mobo/ram 3 weeks ago, I came across a post recommending reseating the RAM to fix the problem. I swapped the sticks A2/B2 slots for the hell of it, and could not post. I tried all sorts of arrangements but suddenly I could only post off of the one stick of RAM. The two were working 'fine' before. The 'bad' stick in the same A2 slot will not post, the 'good' stick will. Apparently I heard that I need to try to boot with the good stick in other slots, to rule out the mobo slots being bad (I guess one stick can go in any slot?) The confusing thing is I ran MemTest86 a few nights ago on the 16gb, both sticks, and had ZERO errors after 13 passes running overnight.

I upgraded to this: ASUS Z270E STRIX Gaming mobo with an i7 7700k, and the RAM is DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz (Part # CMK16GX4M2B3000C15). I did a full format on the boot drive.

I read that this particular mobo can have issues running this Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, and/or the DIMM slots could possibly be bad on these Asus Z270 boards that have been defective.

Any suggestions? I already opened a ticket with Corsair. I do not have another board or other DDR4 RAM to test on. Is it obvious with these results that I have a bad stick of RAM?

Rest of specs just in case:

HDD is Samsung EVO 850 250gb

PSU is EVGA 1000w platinum

Archived