Corsair Community

RAMGuy, perhaps you can assist

AndrewB

Hi, My kit is an Athlon3000+ with an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo and TWINX CMX512-3200LLv1.1 for 1G of RAM. For some reason the BIOS had automatically set the CPU clock frequency to 100MHz. For my processor I believe it should have been 166MHz. So I change it to 166MHz. But the system would sometimes restart itself when I was playing UT2003. Then I changed the Memory Frequency from Auto to By SPD. It still showed the same problem. I then changed the Memory Frequency to 100%. Again same problem. I then bumped the DDR reference voltage to 2.7v. Same problem. I am not sure what settings I need to get a smooth running system at 166Mhz....its getting a bit frustrating.... Thanks in advance - Andrew

Check the jumper on your board. It should be in the 266/333 (pins 1+2) position. Sounds like it's in the 200 (pins 2+3) position. That's why your CPU's FSB frequency is only 200 (100x2). Manufacturers do this intentionally to prevent CPU damage. After that your RAM should be set to SPD, and I'd leave the Dimm voltage at 2.6. Your RAM will runt at 333mhz to match the CPU's FSB. Post back if you run into any problems!

Hi, Thanks for your reply. The jumper is already set for 266/333 (pins 1 and 2). Here's CPU-Z output, the DRAM freq looks suspicous... Code Name Barton Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0 Extended Family / Model 7 A Core Stepping Technology 0.13 µ Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE CPU Clock Speed 2162.7 MHz Clock multiplier x 13.0 Front Side Bus Frequency 166.4 MHz Bus Speed 332.7 MHz L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Speed 2162.7 MHz (Full) L2 Location On Chip L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes L2 Bus Width 64 bits Mainboard and Chipset Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC. Motherboard model A7N8X2.0, REV 1.xx BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1005 BIOS release date 05/14/2003 Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1 Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP-T rev. A4 Sensor chip 6CF AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0 AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes Memory DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size 1024 MBytes DRAM Frequency 166.4 MHz FSB:DRAM 1:1 CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks RAS# Precharge 2 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 5 clocks # of memory modules 2 Module 0 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes Module 1 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes - Andrew

Hi, The above mem freq was when I manually set it to 100%. When I set Mem.Freq. to By SPD 200Mhz is the speed. Here: Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0 Extended Family / Model 7 A Core Stepping Technology 0.13 µ Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE CPU Clock Speed 2171.6 MHz Clock multiplier x 13.0 Front Side Bus Frequency 167.0 MHz Bus Speed 334.1 MHz L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size L2 Speed 2171.6 MHz (Full) L2 Location On Chip L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes L2 Bus Width 64 bits Mainboard and chipset Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC. Motherboard model A7N8X2.0, REV 1.xx BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD BIOS revision ASUS A7N8X2.0 Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1007 BIOS release date 10/06/2003 Chipset nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1 Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP-T rev. A4 Sensor chip Asus ASB100 AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0 AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x AGP Side Band Addressing supported, not enabled AGP Aperture Size 64 MBytes Memory DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM DRAM Size 1024 MBytes DRAM Frequency 200.5 MHz FSB:DRAM 5:6 CAS# Latency 2.0 clocks RAS# to CAS# 2 clocks RAS# Precharge 2 clocks Cycle Time (TRAS) 6 clocks # of memory modules 2 Module 0 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes Module 1 Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes I have to set Mem.Freq by hand to 100% in order to get the proper memory frequency. I've also updated BIOS to 1007. I had left UT2003 running in the Chat window when I went to bed. :zzzz: In the morning I logged on and nothing was there. It had rebooted.... Thanks for your assistance. - Andrew

• Corsair Employee
If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266. If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333 If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

I've set the CPU Freq to 166 and the Mem Freq to Auto. This gives me 333 FSB. I've updated the nForce 2 drivers to 3.13 also. Again I leave UT2003 in chat mode overnight to find the system rebooted in the morning.....sigh.... What else is there to check??? - Andrew

Event log always puts out event 1001. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805366f0, 0xc436c000, 0x00000136). A dump was saved in: H:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini012604-01.dmp. For more information, see Help and Support Center at [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp[/url]. MS KB article: [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329284&Product=winxp[/url] I've looked at this in the past. Basically it says there's a problem with your hardware.....ya, no kidding! :): - Andrew

• Corsair Employee
There are several things that can cause this error,It's general in nature and may be hard to track down. I have no problem replacing your modules if you want to try that. But I would suggest that first you try the system with one module one night and then the other the next as lets see if one module displays this behavior if so then for sure I would say lets try replacing them. But if you get the same problem or no problem running either module that would suggest that CPU or chipset is failing.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Finally got some time for testing. I've tried several combinations. One annoying problem is that when these restarts occur they do funny things with the motherboard/bios. If I make a BIOS change, like disable an unused device (LAN adapter), the startup will fail with a System Failed Memory Test message. I then have to clear the CMOS settings via the jumpers. I then have to reflash the BIOS to get back some stability. Anyways, I finally got the CPU freq to 133 and the memory freq to 100% without the BIOS tripping out on me. Test 1: Memory in slots 1 and 2 Single channel mode System rebooted in under 30 minutes Test 2: First stick in slot 1 System rebooted in under an hour Test 3: Second stick in slot 1 System has been running for days. Only once the machine hung (different issue I guess) but today as I was going to type this message it rebooted (nice timing). (Argh, restarted again as I was typing this out, but I had copied saved text in notepad) I do not know if this is still a memory problem or a motherboard issue. What is common is that the CPU runs at 100% when the reboots happen. I also notice, when in dual channel mode, ASUSprobe starts popping up saying voltage is irregular.... - Andrew

Archived