Corsair Community

Recommendation for Fully Programmable Keyboard

warc1

I'm a lefty that can only game with movement assigned to arrow keys. More games are being designed that set movement to wasd keys with no option to change. Therefore, I am looking for a fully programmable keyboard where I can reassign keys within specific game profiles. Reading Corsair product descriptions, it looks like this can be done with at least some of their keyboards using their iCUE software. I'm looking for confirmation and any specific recommendations. Price is not a constraint.

I'm a lefty that can only game with movement assigned to arrow keys. More games are being designed that set movement to wasd keys with no option to change. Therefore, I am looking for a fully programmable keyboard where I can reassign keys within specific game profiles. Reading Corsair product descriptions, it looks like this can be done with at least some of their keyboards using their iCUE software. I'm looking for confirmation and any specific recommendations. Price is not a constraint.

I think all major brands of keyboard and mice manufacturers supply a model that can reassign the asdw keys to the arrow keys. You can find keyboards in which all keys are programmable for each manufacturer. The macro programming abilities of Corsair, have deteriorated in 2018, but are still in some ways superior to the competition. 2 abilities they have that I haven't found elsewhere, are,

1. they can attach a second action to a key, so you can create an action on the press, while pressed, or on the release of a key.

2. You can manipulate mouse movement from the ICUE program, so you can create windows, or go to an area of the screen as part of an action.

ICUE has a real problem with modifier keys, so if you want 2 keys together to perform an action, look elsewhere. There is a workaround, but I have found it exceedingly painful.

The question for you is what left handed mouse do you prefer? You should probably link up your keyboard with your mouse. I think the mouse is elsewhere, and other keyboards can meet your asdw requirements.

Some advice I have in your search:

Avoid Youtube and Reddit and comparison search terms: Their agenda is to get you to click on the article or video, and will use click bait. They will be positively reinforced by companies they give a positive review of, and because they want to appeal to a large audience they will focus on inane things with a wider appeal.

The Corsair K95 platinum keyboard can do what you want with the ASDW keys, and is Corsair's top of the line product if money isn't an issue. On regular key presses, looks, and endurance, there are no complaints, and it will win in comparison articles. For straight key transferrance, I have found that competitors perform better. ICUE is introducing a noticeable lag in my key transfers. I cannot switch profiles in game right now with my Corsair products, as it is currently taking 2 to 4 seconds to switch profiles. You are paying extra for gimmicks, I think, but as money is not an issue, what is an extra $40, on top of $200. CUE is weighing itself down and introducing bugs with those gimmicks though.

Some other honest answers, I cannot give you, because I have to walk on eggshells, the mods of this forum will delete my post if I mention a proper competitor product by name, and other things.

Corsair has discontinued production of its K95 keyboard, because people don't want extra G buttons on their keyboard. How many people want a left handed keyboard? You are in danger of not getting support for issues you may have.

I lost hand mobility a year and a half ago (mostly better now) and bought Corsair for maybe partly similar reasons as your left-handedness may give you. The happiest tech purchase I ever made, I think, was the Corsair K95 keyboard last year. The most disappointing and painful tech purchase I have made was the Corsair Scimitar mouse this year. (For me, not because it was a bad product in itself, but CUE has deleted my list of profiles twice since, and the response from Corsair has been really poor in my opinion.)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm currently using a Logitech G910 keyboard, which is one of their high end models, but I can't see where anything beyond their G keys can be reprogrammed. A web search is not giving me many hits on gaming keyboards that will do what I need so I'm coming to believe their may not be that many gaming keyboards that are fully programmable.

The K95 you own was one fully programmable keyboard that I found on Google, but I found on my own that is was discontinued. The replacement K95 Platinum specs don't explicitly state that it's fully programmable but I take your word that it is. I am concerned about the lag you mention on key transfers. Are you saying that doing what I want (transferring WASD to arrow keys) would result in a lag every time I pressed an arrow key. That would be untenable.

With regards to mouse preference, I only use left handed mice and have settled on the Razer Deathadder after using alternatives. It's simple, with only two extra buttons beyond left, right and the center wheel, but that works best for me.

I do have more questions for you, but since they will involve alternatives, I'll take it to PM.

Archived