Corsair Community

[QUESTION] ~ low/high density, double/single sided without seeing the module?

Zehryo

Hi everybody.

Today I've realized memories are not just a matter of size and clock, but also of "density".

That is, motherboards' chipset can be quite fussy, when it comes to RAM.

A couple of days ago I've bought a 2x4GB kit to change a machine's purpose to something more RAM intensive.

The motherboard is a Foxconn H55M-S which, at least according to its specifications, should be able to manage up to 16GB of DDR3 @1600MHz RAM spread over 4 slots.

Obviously the new modules didnt work, otherwise I wouldnt be here, but the reason wasnt clear until I stumbled on a number of forum threads reporting my motherboard not being compatible with that particular model of RAM.

Reason: memory "density".

It didnt make much sense, for me, until I read that chips are often arranged on the PCB depending on their size (in megabytes) and the amount of total memory of the module.

And that not all motherboard chipsets can read higher density memory chips.

Damn!

Ok, well, I've already RMA'd the RAM kit back to Amazon, but now I dont know what other memories to order.

Since prices for DDR3 @1600MHz modules are low, these days, I decided to go for a brand that has never failed me, Corsair.

But the problem stays, because pictures on Amazon (as well as on Corsair's site) dont show both sides of the modules, or the heatsinks just hide the whole PCB.

Also, the specs reported dont mention this particular parameter, thus I just cant get to know what I'm gonna buy until I've bought and tested it.

So the question is: is there any way to know what kind of memory chips size/arrangement a Corsair RAM module uses without physically seeing or testing it?

Or...

Does anybody know for sure what models use a 8x256MB per side, double-sided chips arrangement?

I need a 2x4GB, DDR3 @1600MHz memory kit.

Thank you.

Archived