Corsair Community

VX450W – PC does not boot to the BIOS screen

Mer

Today I purchased a Corsair VX 450 to replace my existing PSU for two reasons:

1. I transferred my PC into a Media PC case and the cables on my existing PSU are too short.

2. I wanted a quiet PSU as this will now be used only as a Media PC.

I installed the VX 450 PSU into the case and the PC began to boot up but it did not make it to the BIOS screen (it powered up though). :bigeyes:

To test:

I plugged my old PSU in and it worked fine.

I removed the new PSU from the case and tried again (to eliminate any grounding issues).

I tried the paperclip test and it passed.

I took the VX 450 PSU back to the store and they tested it on another PC and it booted all the way into the Operating System. :sigh!:

Attached to my profile are the specifications of my PC. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Hi RAM Guy,

Specs are as follows:

Mer's PC Specs

Motherboard ASUS M2N-E SLI

Processor AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core

Video Card # 1 Gigabyte GeForce 8600 GT

The PC was purchased new in ~ Nov 2007

Cheers,

Mer

I beleive that RAM GUY is correct as it pertains to a compatability issue. I have the same issue with my HP (a1150y CTO) machine. I tried another brand PSU (650W) and it would not get past the BIOS screen. I contacted HP and they said my MOBO would only support up to (max) of a 450W unit. So, I bought the Corsair 450W unit...and same thing. ( I have an Asus P5LP-LE motherboard....proprietary of HP). If I put the stock PSU in the machine, it proceeds directly to the OS.

I called HP back, because their tech said that a 450W unitl WOULD work, but it does not. After much run around, they simply said that my computer is old and is not worth upgrading. Tried to get me to buy a new machine from them.

Long story short; I think you are in the same boat that I am in as far as a new PSU.

hmmm... I was under the impression that the ATX standard was developed to be backwards compatible. As the store has proven that the VX450 still works on a newer mother board does this mean that it is totally useless for my application or is there a setting or workaround available here?

I had the same problem one time, building a new system. It was the 4-pin connector which had connecting issues. The plug was not sitting tight enough. After i slightly bent the pins in the plug housing on the mainboard it worked fine.

Greets Dominik.

• Corsair Employee
The ASUS M2N-E SLI should be compatible with ATX12v 2.01 and newer spec PSUs and should be compatible with all of our PSUs. The only other thing I can think of which would explain why the PSU works in a different system is that the VX450 is detecting a ground or short which the other PSU is not. You may want to remove the motherboard from the case and bench test the system with a limited hardware configuration.

You may want to remove the motherboard from the case and bench test the system with a limited hardware configuration.

Been there, done that:

I removed the new PSU from the case and tried again (to eliminate any grounding issues).

Guys,

I have taken the mother board out and ran it only with the graphics card. It still behaves the same way... I note that it "locks up" i.e. I cant turn off the computer by holding down the power button, however, if I boot the PC up without the graphics card installed I am able to shut the PC down by holding the power key for 4 secs... Wondering if it is the graphics card that is the problem??

• Corsair Employee
Guys,

I have taken the mother board out and ran it only with the graphics card. It still behaves the same way... I note that it "locks up" i.e. I cant turn off the computer by holding down the power button, however, if I boot the PC up without the graphics card installed I am able to shut the PC down by holding the power key for 4 secs... Wondering if it is the graphics card that is the problem??

This sounds like a grounding issue. We can try replacing the PSU for you, but if there is no change then its got to be either the mobo or graphics card that is causing the problems.

Have you tested the graphics card in a different system?

Request an RMA

• 4 years later...

My Computer spec are

Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz,

Asus IPIBL-TX Motherboard bios version 5.21,

500 GB Hard Disk Sata,

2 GB DDR2 Ram,

ATI HD 5450 DDR3 1 GB,

Local Brand 450 Watt PSU,

recently i have purchased Nvidia GTX 560 and Corsair VX450. After installing psu to my pc, my pc not boot into bios, My pc starts everting works, cpu fan moving, dvd player working, led blows, but my pc not boot,

when i removed corsair vx450 and use my local brand psu then pc boot without any prob.

my friend has corsair vs650, when i tried corsair vs650 to my pc then my pc boot,

Again i tried with Corsair VX450 then my pc not boot.

I have tried so many things,

1. Use only my 1 ram.

2. May be its a grounding issue thats why i removed my motherboard in my cabinet and then try still no boot.

3. Removed all the cable to psu and use only atx supply and 4 pin connecter to motherboard and still no boot.

My pc boot with local brand 450 PSU and corsair vs 650 but not in VX450.

Please help me

Archived