Corsair Community

CPU temp on i9-9920X

Karsal

I recently received a Corsair One Pro i180 with the i9-9920X CPU and RTX 2080 Ti. In a room that's around 18°C, the graphics card idles in the sort of range I'd expect - around 32°C - but the CPU idles at around 55°C (top fan always running, but pretty quiet), gets to high 70s under ~20% load (fan still pretty quiet), and reaches up to 90°C under full load (fan ramped up a lot to cover it). The "CPU coolant" temp value likewise generally hovers around 20°C hotter at idle than "GPU coolant" is.

Is that expected for this CPU in this machine? Seems a bit high to me. Since the cooling system's getting hot as well as the actual CPU it doesn't seem so much like an issue of heat not getting out to the radiator, more like the CPU just runs super hot - and certainly it heats the room it's in, even at idle.

This Tom's Hardware review seems to have the same model maxing out under load at 55°C, but there's a typo so I'm going off the °F conversion and I don't totally trust it. If true though, that's 35°C below where mine tops out.

I've attached a couple of screenshots at idle temps.

iCue.thumb.png.3157cc64ffd44721941fdb79bc5bd5e7.png

hwmonitor.thumb.png.8eda465479ecd267796f33d95cb5e274.png

Edited by Karsal

Re-paste your processor with some really good stuff like Conductonaut corsair using good TIM, but there is better. Helped my temps by like 5-7C. Though I also delided and repaste the inside of a 7700K which is known to run hot. Did this with the original C1

Thanks yeah, usually thermal paste is the first thing I'd try as well. But since there's a temp sensor on the actual cooling system in this case and it's also showing much the same temp, it makes me feel like the thermal connection must be OK and either the CPU is just extra hot, or the cooling system itself isn't doing so well. Maybe that's an incorrect assumption though. I'm also hesitant to mess with this system at all considering the cost; if something goes wrong I'd like the have the warranty intact. Edited by Karsal