The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2004, 04:04 AM

POST ID # = 137520
mstrmold Reputation: 10
Default Corsair TWINX1024 3200C2Pro wierd crashes

Hello,

I picked up a pair of TWINX1024-3200C2PRO (the ones with the blinking LED's) to swap out my Mushkin Memory and have run into a problem. I've tried multiple timings from the default SPD to the ones advertised for this memory with no luck. Memtest86 passes without errors with both modules in, but under WindowsXP I get apps that will crash (most point to urlmon.dll) such as email, or explorer. Yet, (here's the wierd part) I played DoomIII without issue for two hours. I've tried upping the voltage with both modules with no luck. Removing one module and trying the crashing apps and they now work?!! Sounds like a PSU issue, right? But then, why just any client that uses the above dll file? Other apps seem to be ok, and its very consistant.

Here is a list of some of the timings I've tried:

2 modules 2.5-3-3-8@ 400Mhz v1.70 - Memtest Passes / Apps crash
2 modules 2.0-3-3-6@ 400Mhz v1.75 - Memtest Passes / Apps crash
2 modules 2.5-3-3-8@ 333Mhz v1.75 - Memtest Passes / Apps crash
1 module 2.5-3-3-8@ 333Mhz v1.70 - Memtest Passes/ Apps load fine

And now my setup:

MSI KT8M-ILSR m-ATX w/ AMD A64 3400+
1Gb Corsair CMX512-3200C2Pro v1.0 (2x512Mb kit)
Nvidia Geforce 6800GT OC
Running in an Antec Aria Case with 300watt PSU.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

Regards,

Ed

Old 08-14-2004, 10:53 AM

POST ID # = 137553
chaosx123 Reputation: 10

Try dropping your command rate from 1T to 2T and see if that works.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:35 PM

POST ID # = 137571

I don't appear to have a command rate setting in the BIOS. My choices are: CAS TRCD TRAS TRP. Any ideas?

-E

Old 08-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 137654
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

I can't say that your power supply is the cause of this issue but it is very possible since you have a 300w model. I'd highly suggest that you upgrade to a high quality PSU and a MINIMUM of 400w. I have used Thermaltake and Aerocool and they do very well. Also, if you want the best made try a PC Power and Cooling PSU.

Other than that, if you can play DOOM III with no crashes, and the modules pass Memtest, and the error is urlmon.dll, I'd try a Google search. It could easily be a virus or something causing this. However, Internet Exploder/email etc is nowhere near as demanding as DOOM so I'd look to a software issue as opposed to the hardware.

Good luck, Mike.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:56 PM

POST ID # = 137838

I don't think its the power supply either. I hooked up an external 400watt PSU with the same results. Now, if I swap my old memory back, I am generating GPF's all over the place. I believe the memory controller on the motherboard is the cause of this. Now it doesn't matter what modules I add it will crash. Virus Scan comes up clean as well as adaware and spybot. I believe this MSI board gave up the ghost when I raised the VDIMM up past 2.70v (It couldn't handle it). I ordered a new motherboard (a Gigabyte board) so we will see in a couple of days if I can find root cause to this. I'll post back my findings once completed.

Regards,

-E

Old 08-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 137859
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Please do let us know! However, I would agree with your suspensions based on what you have posted!

Old 08-18-2004, 11:43 PM

POST ID # = 138436
Default :!: Fixed?!!

OK, I received my new motherboard today and did the install. I ended up buying a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800M m-ATX board replacing the MSI K8TM-ILSR that had so many memory issues. So far after doing a "repair" for WindowsXP and applying all service packs, the system is running stable. Memtest is clean as well as running Futuremarks 3DMark03 comes up clean. Previous apps that were crashing no longer crash and everything appears happy in the world. :)

One thing I did notice with the MSI was that my XMS Pro memory LED's would pulse irregular when both modules were installed. Each module has two rows of LEDS and one of the two rows would show access while the second row would pulsate a bit and go back to the first green LED. In the Gigabyte board, the LED's are solid and move up and down as they are accessed. I believe the MSI just couldn't supply enough power to the VDIMM. At this point I'd say stay away from this MSI m-ATX board until they can fix this.

Regards,

-E

Old 08-19-2004, 01:26 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 138549
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Thanks for letting us know, but I would suggest a fresh install with the new MB!

Old 08-20-2004, 02:03 PM

POST ID # = 138785

Yes, I did the second repair option which basically removes the previous OS instead of blowing the partition away. Did all my OS updates and everything is great!

I'd recommend on these single channel boards (Socket754) that you run CAS 2.5 by default. I think CAS2 is a bit strong unless you up the pre-charge delay. Even then for stabilities sake, 2.5 seems like a nice overall performance option.

Regards,

-E

Old 08-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 138795
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrmold
I'd recommend on these single channel boards (Socket754) that you run CAS 2.5 by default. I think CAS2 is a bit strong unless you up the pre-charge delay. Even then for stabilities sake, 2.5 seems like a nice overall performance option.
From most user feedback, I'd agree with your suggestion. I think that the MCH being onboard offsets any latency increased so CAS2.5 is fine.

Mike.