The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2004, 06:19 PM

POST ID # = 138815
RedLine Reputation: 10
Question Corsair 3200XL and AMD Socket 939

I have searched the board and could not find a reference to this issue. I apologize if I just missed it. AnandTech recently did a review of the 2-2-2 based PC3200 memory. In the review they state, "We attempted to run the same tests on Corsair 3200XL, comparing a 3800+ at the standard 12x200 to 10x240, which is also a processor speed of 2.4GHz. Unfortunately, we could not find memory timings that would work with Corsair 3200XL at DDR480 on the Asus A8V Deluxe. Since the Socket 939 has just been introduced, we suspect that this is just a matter of Corsair tweaking SPD timings for higher overclocking on Socket 939 dual-channel. The Corsair 3200XL performs very well at stock speed".

I have just purchased the MSI Neo2 939 nforce 3 ultra based MB and Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL. After reading that information, I am now concerned. Has Corsair said anything about tweaking the SPD timings for the dual-channel 939 MBs?

Old 08-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Its all about the caps
SpDFre@k's PC Specs

POST ID # = 138824
SpDFre@k Reputation: 30

The SPD has nothing to do with over clocking. The SPD function is to tell the MB what values to use when posting for the first time or when the BIOS is left to "Set by SPD". In order to run at the freq that you want to you would have to manually set the timings anyway completely overriding the SPD of the module.

P.S. IMHO that reviewer needs to do a little more research before publishing articles.