Corsair Community

Something's iffy with the spacebar

Regnum

Heya there.

I got the K55 keyboard recently, and I didn't take long to realise I kept making a kinda specific mistake quite often. Sometimes, I'd add a space before I actually wanted to, as in: "Hello ,how are you?" or "Hell o, how are you?". I thought I'd simply have to get used to the new keyboard, but recently I've noticed something else that is definitely NOT my fault.

There's a game called Guild Wars 2, in which you can press the Dodge and Jump keys at the very same time to do a dodgejump. Back then, with my previous keyboard (a Logitech G11) I had absolutely no problems doing this, however with the K55, I might be able to make it work once every 5-6 attempts. It's as if there would be a big enough delay for both keys to not be delivered at the same time, so that got me wondering if there's something weird going on with my keyboard.

I've got in touch with support but since I couldn't reset my keyboard physically to reinstall the firmware, all they could do was offer me a new one. I also tried updating the firmware through the ICUE, but it crashes everytime.

Thanks!

Space bars and standard A-Z keys typically have different force required to actuate and well, space bars are often just different in general. For GW2, take the easy solution and create a macro with Dodge + Space bar then assign it to G5, X, C, whatever. If you have a Corsair mouse it can go on there as well. If you haven't made a macro before, you will record yourself doing both and then clean it up deleting unnecessary lines (like the left click to stop the recording). It should look the below when you are done (you do need the release for each key). I have dodge bound to C.

1) Press Space Key

2) Press C key (or your dodge)

3) Pause execution for 3 ms (or something low)

4) Release Space Key

5) Release C key

6) Pause execution for 30 ms (you want a little pause to prevent you from double clicking and interrupting the first execution in mid-air)

Now aside from that, you probably need to figure out if the space bar is wonky or you are still adjusting. The jump-dodge is not a reliable indicator because there are some game and latency factors involved as well. Typing issues are a better indicator. Give it some time, make sure the space bar is properly mounted, and make a decision before your local return options run out.

Thanks for your answer!

I made the macro and it works fine, however I'm still not sold on on the fact that there's something a bit weird going on. I'll try updating the firmware (altho first I have to stop ICUE crashing whenever I try to update the firmware :P) and see how it goes. I know a couple people who have very similar keyboards (one of them is the K65) and also play GW2, so hopefully they'll tell me if they also suffer this problem or not. I know it might not be the best indicator, however it always worked perfectly fine with my old keyboard, so it should also be the same case with this new, I'd say.

Anyway, thanks for the reply again!

Mechanical switches and specifically Corsair space bars have a lot of travel. It is distinctively different in feel from the other keys. I can see why it would be difficult on a K65 and certainly is a bit 'iffy' as well on my K70 and K95P models. However, you have a membrane keyboard and it should be fairly direct without much travel. It should also feel more or less like the others. I think if you can sit there in this reply field and tap away, not getting a space when you expect, then something is a bit off and you should swap it out.

Yeah, the space bar always seems to work fine if I just spam it. I managed to update the firmware and so far it FEELS like the issue of adding spaces before I wanted to is.. mostly gone? Either way, since the other issue still remains, Amazon are sending me a new one. I'll try to remember to update this thread once I find out if it's fixed or not!

Thanks again