Corsair Community

New Corsair One Elite BSOD twice in 3 days - Should I be worried?

kcnicho

Hey Folks,

Just got a new Corsair One Elite delivered 3 days ago. Amazing machine! Beautiful, quiet, very solid & compact piece of computing machinery. Love the design!

One thing that concerns me: I've had two BSOD events in the last 3 days, both while playing graphically intensive games (one on HTC Vive Pro, one Sniper Elite 4, max settings.) The machine just suddenly shows a blue screen, then reboots. Looking at the event viewer, I see two critical errors listed at the time these happened that say: "Kernel-Power".

I've tried to monitor graphics card temps, and they don't seem to go over ~ 73 Deg C. That said, the fan sounds like its running full speed. A related concern I have is that (I think) the One Elite has a 500W power supply, but nVidia recommends minimum 600W PSU (per the GTX 1080 Ti user guide.) Could this be a possible cause?

Running DisplayPort 2560x1600 monitor (just one), have latest nVidia drivers, and latest Win 10 updates. Have not updated any BIOS or other MoBo stuff (a little reluctant to do that, have read posts about dead video after update.) Stock out-of-the-box Corsair One Elite.

Should I be worried? Should I submit a ticket? Hate to part with this thing so soon.

- Kevin

Thanks for the fast replies!

It seems to be running fine on lower stress applications or games. I need to run some of my more challenging programs, for a longer time, to see if this is a "one-off" issue, or if it's something that is going to continue to happen.

Can either of you let me know what specific tests I might run to identify if this (PCI-E ribbon cable) is the problem? Is it software that I can download to do this test?

I have a computer engineering degree, and I do electronics hardware design at work, so I'm comfortable with digging into the case if I have to, but honestly I'd rather not do that if it might void my warranty, and really it shouldn't need it at this point.

Thanks for your help!

- Kevin

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the fast replies!

It seems to be running fine on lower stress applications or games. I need to run some of my more challenging programs, for a longer time, to see if this is a "one-off" issue, or if it's something that is going to continue to happen.

Can either of you let me know what specific tests I might run to identify if this (PCI-E ribbon cable) is the problem? Is it software that I can download to do this test?

I have a computer engineering degree, and I do electronics hardware design at work, so I'm comfortable with digging into the case if I have to, but honestly I'd rather not do that if it might void my warranty, and really it shouldn't need it at this point.

Thanks for your help!

- Kevin

The ribbon cable issue ties back to EMI, the cable in some units are not shielded properly, so the symptom won't be consistent, hence why it's hard to catch during factory testing. I still recommend getting a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thought it might just be a one time thing, but it just died again, this time during Anno 2205. Fans were running moderately, then all screens suddenly went black (I added 2 screens) and fans went full on.

Music from game still playing, but all black screens. Rebooted, and now graphics only show up on one of my side screens. Rebooted several times, and only get single screen active.

So, very sadly, I will have to get a support ticket and send this in. Will get a ticket going.

- Kevin

It appears the GTX 1080Ti is dead (or, mostly dead.) It does not appear in the Corsair Link utility, or the Corsair One Diagnostics. Since I do have a single monitor working apparently there is a low level display mode that still works.

Have not heard from Support on my ticket yet. I did purchase this through Amazon, and my window for return of defective equipment is closing quickly, so I may just have to return it to them for a refund.

I hate to do that because there are no Corsair One Elite models available, and I really do like this machine and would like to keep it. Just wish you folks had better quality control so these types of problems wouldn't get out into the field.

Had 15% one star reviews on Amazon due to quality issues, and I never (usually) buy anything with that high of one star reviews, so I knew there was a risk, I guess I was crossing my fingers hoping I'd get a "good one".

You guys have a really great concept here, I hope you can work the bugs out, it would be amazing!

- Kevin

> CMBoss: Sorry, I didn't try it until directed by the support person. As i hope to get my money back at this point, I'm hesitant to try anything without some proof I've been directed by their support team (I know, a bit paranoid, but $3k is a lot of money.) I had not done any manual configuration of overclocking, it was straight out of the box.

Turns out, doing a CMOS reset worked once. After about 20 min, the displays shut down again, all screens blank (but audio still playing.) Now I cannot get any display at all, even after multiple "reset CMOS" attempts, and leaving unit unplugged for several hours. I think I can also detect a faint "burned electronics" smell. I'll try leaving it running for a while, and see what happens, but I'm guessing something pretty major has occurred. Probably best to just return this one to the store I purchased it from, and get a refund

As I said before, I love the design, the nice solid feel, the dual liquid cooling scheme, and especially the compact size & quiet operation. The gaming rigs that some other companies produce look like a nightmare, all angles, lights, flash & "chrome", targeted to teens apparently. The Corsair One was a much better aesthetic design (IMHO) but there are just too many QC problems. Read these forums, read the Amazon reviews, etc. So, I took a chance and got bit, lesson learned.

I'll look forward to "Corsair One Elite, Version II" if/when it comes out. There's always a learning process for a new design. These are some of the risks you take when you're an early adopter.

• Corsair Employee
> CMBoss: Sorry, I didn't try it until directed by the support person. As i hope to get my money back at this point, I'm hesitant to try anything without some proof I've been directed by their support team (I know, a bit paranoid, but $3k is a lot of money.) I had not done any manual configuration of overclocking, it was straight out of the box.

Turns out, doing a CMOS reset worked once. After about 20 min, the displays shut down again, all screens blank (but audio still playing.) Now I cannot get any display at all, even after multiple "reset CMOS" attempts, and leaving unit unplugged for several hours. I think I can also detect a faint "burned electronics" smell. I'll try leaving it running for a while, and see what happens, but I'm guessing something pretty major has occurred. Probably best to just return this one to the store I purchased it from, and get a refund

As I said before, I love the design, the nice solid feel, the dual liquid cooling scheme, and especially the compact size & quiet operation. The gaming rigs that some other companies produce look like a nightmare, all angles, lights, flash & "chrome", targeted to teens apparently. The Corsair One was a much better aesthetic design (IMHO) but there are just too many QC problems. Read these forums, read the Amazon reviews, etc. So, I took a chance and got bit, lesson learned.

I'll look forward to "Corsair One Elite, Version II" if/when it comes out. There's always a learning process for a new design. These are some of the risks you take when you're an early adopter.

Sorry to hear about your experience. And I feel the same way about the machine's design (: In any case, if you can PM me your ticket, I can do my best to have it properly taken care of.

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the offers of help, but I decided to return my Corsair One Elite after less than a month to Amazon for a full refund. Just too many unacceptable Quality Control problems with this little machine, as you can see looking at any of a number of forums. I was holding out for a response from the support folks to my question that if I returned a brand new defective unit (less than 30 days old) would I be sent someone else's refurbished problem, or would I be sent a brand new unit (of course, I felt I was entitled to a brand new unit.) No answer to that question, so I returned it for a refund.

I feel sorry for any users who get stuck with faulty Corsair One's and for Corsair who may have pushed the envelope a bit too far, too fast. My last computer was an Alienware with Win Vista, and that thing lasted for ~ 8 years, so I know it's possible to make long lasting reliable computers.

I've got to say, thumbs up to Amazon for their return policy. Zero hassle, a few clicks on their return page, and the UPS guy shows up the next day, with pre-paid return shipping, and I didn't even have to print out a shipper. Wish all companies could make it that hassle-free to return defective equipment.

I sincerely hope you folks can recover from the bad publicity, as I think you have a good idea here, you just really need to do much, much better at making sure you don't ship out marginal units that are not THOROUGHLY tested. No doubt you're under a lot of business pressure, but you have a very good reputation for other components, you really need to do whatever you can to preserve that reputation.

I'm off to purchase a custom built gaming machine, which no doubt won't look as nice at the Corsair One, and will be more expensive, but I suspect will be much more reliable (fingers crossed) have much more expansion options.

Good luck!

- Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Since you asked...

I have a fairly small area on my desk that won't fit a normal tower, that's why the Corsair One was perfect. I really liked that computer, and hated to give it up. Wish I had a better outcome with it.

At first I was going to go with another custom computer builder. Narrowed it to Origin PC or Falcon NW. They had smaller computers that would at least fit, and provided most of what I wanted. They were both significantly more expensive than the Corsair One (but to be fair, had more high-end features.) However, when I priced out parts Vs their build cost, as well as not having exactly what I wanted, I decided to build my own.

As I expected, the one I ended up with doesn't look as nice as the Corsair One, and it is certainly a lot more expensive, but on the other hand it has more features, is expandable, and has exactly what I wanted:

Motherboard: ASRock X299 Taichi XE

Processor: Intel i9-7940X

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 quad memory

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid (Liquid + Air)

SSD #1 (OS, drivers, other): Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVMe, 1TB

SSD #2 (CAD, larger faster games): Samsung 970 Evo M.2 NVMe, 2TB

Spinner HDD (data, media, slower smaller games): WD Black 6TB, 7200 RPM, 256 MB Cache

Power Supply: EVGA 1000W SuperNOVA 1000T280+ Titanium

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H105 Extreme Performance 240mm

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo

Fans: Noctua PWM 200mm case fan, 2x Corsair LL140 RGB fans + controller

So, it's no Corsair One, but I think I will manage :-)

- Kevin

Archived