Corsair Community

Radiator size question

RonnieG

I,m new to this water cooling stuff. Love to play Modern Warfare, a gamer I am, and sometimes Gears 5. I have a LG 4K monitor, and like to have my video settings on high, or up to 4K settings. My video card would scream on max settings, a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti turbo. So I get into water blocks to see if my ATX case can fit one in (a ibuypower element case) Had to go with a XD3 Cosiar water pump and a waterblock system (a XG7 water block for my graphics card) All I am cooling is my graphics card as its already has a water cooler system on my CPU. So anyways, I got a EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 240 Radiator to fit, or get into this little case I have. It has 3 Corsair ML120 Pro LED, Red, 120mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan attached to it, and my temps seem to hover around 45 degrees on high MW settings. Could it get temps lower if I installed a EKWB EK-CoolStream SE 280 Radiator, Slim Dual with the 3 140mm fans from corsair ( Corsair ML140 Pro LED, Red, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan CO-9050047-WW ?

I wouldn't mix EK's current SE radiators with corsair fans.

They have very dense fins (22 fpi), and corsair fans have low static pressure. 140mm fans by their very nature have also lower static pressure than 120mm.

If you go with a Corsair rad, or Hardware labs, 280mm (16 fpi), with ML fans, it would work way better, and these rads are more efficient than EK's (they are in the process of replacing them actually).

280 and 360 radiators are very close in performance, so you should see a slight improvement in temperatures.

That said, 45° is still pretty cool for a 2080ti

Thanks for your information, I wasn't considering that stuff in radiators, or new it would make a difference. These fans go up to 2000 rpm, didn't see that option with 140mm fans. Looking on amazon, that is. Wife will skin me alive if I get any more stuff, but a guy I am, and always looking around for a better solution. Thanks much, I see my knowledge is lacking on this stuff. Your heads up is very useful.

Radiator size is not going to lower you GPU temp any more than it is now.

GPU water block efficiency, water temp in loop and ambient temp in room are going to have a bigger effect on lowering GPU temp.

The water temp in the loop will never get below the ambient temp in the room, no matter how big or how many radiators you have.

More radiator surface only means the loop would be able to move more heat from the water\radiator to the surrounding air before becoming saturated and unable to keep up with removing heat from the water.

FPI density of fins on rad and type of fan used are very important for efficiency of the radiator(s).

A good 240mm radiator should be more than sufficient for a RTX 2080Ti unless it is an EVGA KingPin model.........

As said before, 45c is pretty good for a RTX 2080Ti under load on water.

You're not going to see any worthy gains moving from 240mm to 280mm on the radiator. The only reason to do so would be for case fit or some preference for 140mm fans. As far as temps go, it would be measured in tenths of a degree. 45C is about as low as you are going to go on a 2080 Ti without doing something exotic.

EK SE rads are often amongst the worst performers in every benchmarks, and Hardware labs (the OEM for Corsair rads) amongst the best. so, there will be differences ^^

it won't be spectacular. maybe a degree at best at full speed if the stars and planets are aligned. But the major change will be silence.

Better efficiency = not needing to get the fans blasting at full speed or close to. That will be the most noticeable change. You could get the same temperatures at hundreds less RPM which is GG.

((for example, my setup has a 2080 + CPU, on two 360 plus a 240. the GPU stabilizes at.. 45°, always 11° above water temp. but i have these results with fans at 1000 rpm. If i run them at 2200 rpm, there's virtually no change besides a goddam racket. As soon as you hit the peak efficiency of your waterblock, you can pile up rads, temps won't change, and you are pretty much there. Adding more rad space = easier dissipation = slower fan speed for the same result))

I am about an average player in Modern Warfare Call of Duty. Its not that I am not trying, but the graphics are really cool. So I wanted to play it at the best settings, and the Turbo could not do it without a lot of noise, sounded like a jet taking off. This water cooling has done the trick for me, I did not even know if would fit in this tiny case, or if I could pull it off even. But alas, all is working to my surprise. Thanks everyone for your input, you guys or gals are great !!!!