Corsair Community

LL120 Fans - Random kick in no CoPro

Ryderr

Hello ladies and lads,

I am having some issues with my LL120 fans, I currently have six on my build (Brand new build). Whenever I do any mundane task or even on idle, my fans randomly spike and kick on so loud.

I unfortunately do not have Commander Pro in this build just the LNP.

Is there anyway at all to control my fan curve or something to stop this issue, as the fans are great, it's just this random kick in spike that's doing my head in.

Thank you in advance guys!

-Ryder

Presumably the fan PWM speed control wires are connected to your motherboard fan headers. You will need to use whatever controls are available in the BIOS or other fan control software from the motherboard manufacturer. Most of these use CPU temp as the default control variable as the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. Unless you are controlling an air cooler, that is not the best choice and recent CPUs are going to be very active up and down. Some MB makers have delays or hysteresis controls built in to help with this. Case fans help remove warm air from the case and hopefully bring cooler air in. That doesn't require a lot of dynamic change. You may get better results using motherboard temperature or another control variable that is more stable in its moment to moment value.

Presumably the fan PWM speed control wires are connected to your motherboard fan headers. You will need to use whatever controls are available in the BIOS or other fan control software from the motherboard manufacturer. Most of these use CPU temp as the default control variable as the only thing every system is guaranteed to have. Unless you are controlling an air cooler, that is not the best choice and recent CPUs are going to be very active up and down. Some MB makers have delays or hysteresis controls built in to help with this. Case fans help remove warm air from the case and hopefully bring cooler air in. That doesn't require a lot of dynamic change. You may get better results using motherboard temperature or another control variable that is more stable in its moment to moment value.

Thank you for the information, it's greatly appreciated. I am going to try this and see what the results yield. I just didn't initially want to play with MB bios too much as the build runs so well at low temps even under extreme stress but I will do some investigating or alternatively just put up with the noise for now. Thanks again!

the gygabyte fan control interface in bios is very easy to use.It even has some hysteresis option, like a delay before speeding up fans. I can't remember its name. that's useful to filter short bursts of CPU usage that make temps spike erratically.

But still, the default fan curves are very agressive. It's worth taking time to set them up properly.