Corsair Community

RM750i Single EPS12V Cable

dfwood

Sadly when I replaced my PSU at the beginning of the year, I went for the RM750i and didn't realise that it only has 1 EPS12V cable. At the time no problem, as my X370 motherboard only has a single 8pin CPU power socket.

Jump forward to now, and I thought I'd give my son a good upgrade and make use of the Ryzen 7 1800x I have sitting in it's box. So I've upgraded my motherboard to an X570 (Asus Rog Strix X570-f), but found out that it has an additional 4pin CPU power socket.

What would be people recommendation?

I have a Molex to EPS 8pin cable, so do I just add the additional Molex cable (don't use any currently) and using the converter cable?

Or do I buy the additional Type 4 8-pin (4+4) ATX12V/EPS12V Cable (CP-8920141) and go down to 1 PCIe power cable and use the pigtail to provide the 2 8pin power for my RX5700XT, rather than the 2 separate PCIe power cables I use now?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ta, Dan

• Corsair Employee

Jump forward to now, and I thought I'd give my son a good upgrade and make use of the Ryzen 7 1800x I have sitting in it's box. So I've upgraded my motherboard to an X570 (Asus Rog Strix X570-f), but found out that it has an additional 4pin CPU power socket.

What would be people recommendation?

I have a Molex to EPS 8pin cable, so do I just add the additional Molex cable (don't use any currently) and using the converter cable?

Or do I buy the additional Type 4 8-pin (4+4) ATX12V/EPS12V Cable (CP-8920141) and go down to 1 PCIe power cable and use the pigtail to provide the 2 8pin power for my RX5700XT, rather than the 2 separate PCIe power cables I use now?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ta, Dan

You don't do any of this.

That CPU does not require the additional 4-pin. You just use the 8-pin and call it a day.

You don't do any of this.

That CPU does not require the additional 4-pin. You just use the 8-pin and call it a day.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to be using an 3800x with the Asus Rog Strix X570-f, and that board does have an additional 4pin CPU power socket, so 8 + 4.

So my question was which way is best to provide the extra power when the RM750i I'm using only comes with a single 8pin CPU power.

• Corsair Employee
Sorry for the confusion.

I'm going to be using an 3800x with the Asus Rog Strix X570-f, and that board does have an additional 4pin CPU power socket, so 8 + 4.

So my question was which way is best to provide the extra power when the RM750i I'm using only comes with a single 8pin CPU power.

Right. And you're putting the 1800X into that board, correct?

That CPU does not need the additional 4-pin. You can use that board and that CPU with just the single 8-pin.

Even if you were using a Ryzen 9 5950X would you need the extra four-pin UNLESS you were overclocking.

Right. And you're putting the 1800X into that board, correct?

That CPU does not need the additional 4-pin. You can use that board and that CPU with just the single 8-pin.

Even if you were using a Ryzen 9 5950X would you need the extra four-pin UNLESS you were overclocking.

I'm putting the 1800x back into the X370 board, I'm upgrading from and giving it to my son.

I'll be using a 3800x with the X570 Strix.

I did see in the user manual, it mention only connecting the 8pin if you don't have both, but others out there have mentioned instability.

But thanks for the replies, and I'll see how it goes with just the 8pin.

If I did need the additional 4pin, what would be your preferred way forward without buying a new PSU? ;):

• Corsair Employee

I found a really good Buildzoid video and every X570 board he looks at, he can't see the point in the additional 4 or 8pin ATX/EPS 12V sockets, unless you're using multi GPU setups.

So I'll just go with the single 8pin, as that is good for 384w, but as I already had the Molex to 8pin ATX/EPS 12V cable, I decided to hedge my bets and bought a genuine ATX/EPS 12V cable direct from Corsair, as it was only £4, just in case.