Corsair Community

USB 2.0 Header Adapter

Jim Nasium

I recently purchased a AX1200i. I don't have any available USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard, an Asus ROG Strix Z390 e-gaming. The two headers are connected to a four port USB 2.0 expansion card which I use for sim racing setup. Wheel, Pedals, Shifter, Handbrake. I've had problems when the devices are connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port.

If I connect Corsair Link to the following adapter and plug that into a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port on the back of the computer would that work. The product states that it uses only 5 of the pins. I'm not sure how to determine how many of the pins corsair link module uses. I have an electrical tester but I'm hesitant to poke around with it. Will I have problem similar to what I did with the shifter if I connect Corsair link to a USB 3.1 Gen 1 port?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/J8bCmG/placeholder-

MFG Part # - B07Q4QZW57

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Robert

Yes Robert, looking at the pic of the adapter cable, it should work fine. You just connect the extra cable to the header from the PSU in the way that's self-explanatory (and as per the pic on the PartPicker website), plug it into an external USB socket and off you go.

For the sake of completeness, those USB header plugs have nine active pins. One is the cable shield, and the other eight are two sets of four pins (for the two USB ports): ground, 5v supply, data+ and data-. So the Link header uses five: cable shield and one set of USB traces

Edited by Citizen Crazed

Thanks for explaining the pinouts, which helps explain why two devices are supported per header. This would be a better solution then using a splitter on one of the internal headers. Was curious if doing that would even work. Thanks again.