Corsair Community

MX Brown Metallic Sound

Myrkul23

I just received my K95 RGB Platinum XT keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches. As soon as I started typing I noticed a metallic pinging sound every time I pressed a key that is different than the standard clicking of mechanical keyboards. As this is my first keyboard from corsair I wanted to know if this is normal.

The sound is accentuated when I take off the key, which is what I do in the first part of the video.

[ame]

[/ame]

Happens on my Platinum Rapidfire and K95 Vengeance as well, the springs within the switches resonate and create the common pling sound which varies from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer but is generally present in mechanical keyboards. It can also be heard by tapping on the metal plate above the arrow keys.

If it's too extreme I suggest you to either get used to, or RMA it.

I fixed my K95 by adding dampener mats on the inside, as well as lightly lubricate the springs. It's a time consuming process that's not recommended for everyone, but an option.

I agree with the above. It seems to vary. I have several K95P and XT and there are not uniform in this regard. I just put the XT back on my main system after a few weeks with a K70 SE. It feels very different, despite both having the same switch type and PBS double shot keys. If you have the ability to painlessly swap it, go ahead. The other thing to watch out for is the keys are not actually all the way down on the switch. You got me checking all mine and even 7 months later, I found a few I missed the first time around. Those are the rattlers. Some like space bar, Left shift, and delete are different by design.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and returned the keyboard and got the same one. My new one arrived and has only a very faint "pling" sound. There is a clear difference between this new one and the one I returned. Thanks for the advice!