The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM

POST ID # = 454363
mconway Reputation: 10
Default H50 Push/Pull + CM690 II Adv + Fan Placement

Hate to beat a dead horse here as I've read more few threads regarding the pros/cons of using the H50 in an intake vs. exhaust configuration. I have my parts on the way and would like to know what some others are doing with a similar setup. I will only be using the included fans in the CM 690.

Option 1:

This is the orientation of the included fans and using the H50 as an intake as suggested by Corsair. My concern here is a disrupted airflow caused my the front intake and the the H50 intake.

Option 2:

Reversing both case fans. I think the airflow inside the case would be better but still might get a bit of turbulence due to the proximity of the H50 and top intakes.

Option 3 (my preferred):

H50 exhaust. I know this is against Corsair's recommendation but it looks like a good option. The 140mm sucking air in the front, the 120mm sucking air from the top (to be immediately sucked out by the H50). Just seems like a cleaner movement of air to me.

Option 4:

Dunno. Feel free to comment on this one.

I appreciate any insights/suggestions.

Regards.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 454445
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Options 1 and 3 look the best to me. If you do option 3 then I would see if you can fit the H50 radiator and fan assembly in the top mounted area. I would definitely have the fan in the front as an intake and you will want either the top or rear fan exhausting since heat rises.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 AM
DeterH's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454536
DeterH Reputation: 10
Default Another Solution to CM 690II Advanced

Another solution might be to duct fresh air from the front of the case and direct it toward the radiator as shown by the attached photos. As I recall, bladed fans (being intrinsically low static head devices) do not push air through an upstream resistance as effectively as they pull air through such a resistance. That being the case, I thought maybe if the radiator were mounted in the top of the case and the H50 fan pulled air from the case through it but with cool air being supplied from outside the case, it might work better. With the configuration shown in the Pict's, recorded max temps - using Prime95 and no overclocking - were about 55-58 deg C. Idle temps were about 35-38 deg C. Another fan mounted at the radiator should help even more. But, running Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 for a couple of hours only had the max CPU temps in the range of 51-53 deg C. These result seem to be pretty good but I'm sure it could be improved with a little more work. I seem to recall some people record idle temps as low as 28 deg C. The ram didn't even break a sweat BTW.

I'm new to overclocking, so I'm still trying to learn how to set up the system with this somewhat complicated motherboard. So, this is a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator Installation.jpg (179.8 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg Intake Fan Installed.jpg (222.2 KB, 879 views)
File Type: jpg Fan Intake Duct.jpg (169.9 KB, 740 views)
File Type: jpg Case Front View.jpg (137.4 KB, 596 views)

Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
sbely's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454587
sbely Reputation: 10

I might suggest adding a fan at bottom, sucking air in, place H-50 fan directing in, other two, top and front also in.

I have an Osidian 800, and I have used H-50 according to instructions(intake), other stock fans are left default(intake), I have added additional base intake fan(the one that i removed from case, by installing 120 H-50 fan, and then added three cheap Yates on top exhausting. My cpu is overclocked 40 %, (i7 860 at 3665) and idle temp is 29-30, and stress temp 59-64

Does the 690 not also have side fan as intake?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:53 AM
DeterH's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454672

Thanks mconway. Looks like some experimenting is definitely in order. I suspect that Corsair engineering department has done same and has recommended the "both fans inside" configuration accordingly. I do have two fans blowing in from the side right toward the video card. Additionally, I have a fan on the bottom sucking air in - this fan is controlled by the motherboard. The H50 pump is also controlled by the motherboard. All other fans are controlled by the fan controller mounted just below the DVD drive as shown in the attached photo. At idle temps, I can turn down the fans and the sound level is actually very low.

I'm not sure why the top fans should be mounted inside vs. outside the case in the annulus between the case frame and the top. It seems to be exhausting air quit nicely in the current position though. Further comments would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks Again,
DeterH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Installation.jpg (282.7 KB, 634 views)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Guillaume10025's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454869
Guillaume10025 Reputation: 10
Question Similar Fan placement question with H50 and CM690 II + one extra 120mn fan

Good evening.
I am starting too with pc building. I just bought H50 and CM 690 II advanced.
English is not my mother tongue but I will do my best to explain what fans I have and what I think to do.

Please let me know if you believe that this is the best solution or if you recommend something else.

Fan I have

*One Stock fan coming with the Corsair H50
1700RPM at 12V - 50 CFM (cubic feet per minute)
FAQ Corsair - http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79974

*One Scythe GentleTyphoon D1225C12B4AP-14 120mm Case Fan - 1450 RPM
45.9 CFM - (120 x 120 x 25 mm) - 21 dBA - Double Ball
http://www.svc.com/d1225c12b4ap-14.htm
-> I was told that it was a good fan to use with a radiator (?)

*CM690 3 stock Fans:

Top left: 140mm fans 1200 RPM a 19 dBA. (Exaust)
Front toward the bottom: 140mm 1200 RPM a 19 dBA (Intake)
Back toward the top: 120 mm, 1200 RPM fan a 17 dBA (Exaust)

What I think to do

(for reference there is the CM 690 II Fan diagram enclosed below that show a number for each position in the case. I will use that to explain.
( < & > are the direction of the flow)

a/ Case<Stock Corsair H50 Fan<Radiator< Scythe GentleTyphoon (Exhaust)
[I was told that I should use the fan with the max CFM for pull (as I don't have 2 of the same kind]

-> On the rear at the position Number #3 on the graph attached

b/ Case<140mm Stock Case CM fans 1200 RPM (Exhaust)
-> At the top, on the position Number #1 on the graph attached

Should I put it on toward the back or toward the front as there is the place for two fans?

c/ Case>140mm Stock Case CM fans 1200 RPM (Intake)
-> At the front, on the position Number #2 on the graph attached

d/ Case>120mm Stock Case CM (took from former default rear position) fans 1200 RPM (Intake)
-> At the bottom, on the position Number #4 on the graph attached

Should I put it on toward the back or toward the front as there is the place for two fans?

Really, I never done that and beside the fact that I spent weeks on the net looking at it, I would really like a clear advice. I guess it would be also useful for the other many guys with the h50 and the same type of case.

Last, I posted directly to the support team for the same question: getting additional screw for the push/pull (last # was 1529609). I believe my message don't register as I have not received. Any advice?

Thanks a lot (and more than that), G.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CM 690 II Advanced - Fan & Airflow Diagram.GIF (63.7 KB, 2599 views)

Last edited by Guillaume10025; 06-18-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-18-2010, 02:26 PM

POST ID # = 454948
Question

Hello. Any confirmation or suggestion?
I received all these parts for the PC and would be so happy to build tonight.
I just don't want to mess with the processor cooling and the case cooling.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:04 PM
everettfsj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454954
everettfsj Reputation: 10

Unless someone else has your exact same setup, in the end, some trial and error is always required.

The airflow diagram you posted should be followed; bottom/front as intake, top/rear as exhaust, and side as intake.

IMHO the case is made for maximum airflow, that means two fans on the bottom, two fans on the top, and two fans on the side, per the airflow diagram.

Work with what you have, move the top and bottom fans to their alternative lateral locations (two fans, four fan slots, four possible (1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2) orientations).

If you don't like the temperature results, add more fans, or higher CFM fans.

YMMV.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM

POST ID # = 454961
Question

Thanks. Almost understood but I have only 5 fans total with:

- Two 120 on the rear with the H50 as push/pull (exhaust)

Could you confirm that:
Case<Stock Corsair H50 Fan<Radiator< Scythe GentleTyphoon
is better than:
Case< Scythe GentleTyphoon< radiator <Stock Corsair H50 Fan
(Because the Scythe as a better CFM, see previous)

- One 140mn stock CM fan on top will have to be move toward the front of the case (from what you said/I understood) (exhaust)

- One 140mn stock CM fan will be kept at the front (Intake).
- The extra 120mn stock CM fan will be at the bottom (Intake). But toward the back or the front? (I prefer to not move the HDD case) if possible.

Thanks, I believe I am almost good after that.

Last edited by Guillaume10025; 06-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM
everettfsj's PC Specs

POST ID # = 454962
everettfsj Reputation: 10

I don't think the order of the push/pull fans will result in a measurable difference as there is only ~4 CFM between them.

But I think I'd always place the higher CFM fan on the pull side and the lower CFM fan on the push side.

As for the bottom fan, you should place it where it has a clear upward space, the space between the back of your GPU and the HD's, if there is any.

If you place the bottom fan adjacent to the front fan, the airflow pattern might become rather complicated, resulting in less overall air throughput.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:03 AM
LadKiller's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457294
LadKiller Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterH View Post
Thanks mconway. Looks like some experimenting is definitely in order. I suspect that Corsair engineering department has done same and has recommended the "both fans inside" configuration accordingly. I do have two fans blowing in from the side right toward the video card. Additionally, I have a fan on the bottom sucking air in - this fan is controlled by the motherboard. The H50 pump is also controlled by the motherboard. All other fans are controlled by the fan controller mounted just below the DVD drive as shown in the attached photo. At idle temps, I can turn down the fans and the sound level is actually very low.

I'm not sure why the top fans should be mounted inside vs. outside the case in the annulus between the case frame and the top. It seems to be exhausting air quit nicely in the current position though. Further comments would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks Again,
DeterH
as far as i know you should have the H50 pump always at full power, and just regulate the H50 fan/s

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM
DeterH's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457374
Default H50 Push/Pull & CM690 II Adv fan placement

Thanks for the input, Ladkiller. Is it possible that connecting the H50 to the CPU fan controller as recommended in the instructions will result in less than full pump speed?

I've run my configuration with some light OCing (bus at 148 MHz) and the core temps seem to stay below 55 deg C with majority at 50 Deg C while playing BFBC2 for hours as recorded by Speedfan and Core Temp. SpeedFan says my CPU at idle is 35C while the cores are between 23 and 27C. Don't know why the difference. Core Temp at idle indicates cores are between 35C and 39C. Don't know between Core Temp and SpeedFan which is more accurate. It looks like the CPU0 Fan speed is 1592 at idle and am not sure if this should be higher.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this?

Best Regards,
DeterH

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 457434
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterH View Post
Is it possible that connecting the H50 to the CPU fan controller as recommended in the instructions will result in less than full pump speed?
Best Regards,
DeterH
You should be able to disable the fan speed adjusting functions in the BIOS. This will allow the pump a full 12v.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:26 PM
DeterH's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457481
Default Pump Speed

Ok, thanks for the reply - will do accordingly.

DeterH

Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Sabottx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 457497
Sabottx Reputation: 10

Room temp is around 28C.

Option 1 test at idle was 31C (Everest & SpeedFan) 34C (Real Temp GT)

Option 2 test at idle was 25C (Everest & SpeedFan) 28C (Real Temp GT)

Case temps dropped as well from around the mid 30's C to around the high 20's.

Dawned on me that the H50 is sucking in the heat from the video card which is just below it. The 5970 runs a little warm around 60C and up. All that heat has to go out the back. I also mounted a PCI exhaust fan below the 5970 to help with air flow.

My tower sits on my desk, to the right of me. Sound from the push/pull fans was reflecting off the wall when it was on the back setup as intake. When I moved it up to the top of the box, the sound was above my head, thus making the box very silent.

Since I mounted both push/pull plus radiator inside of the box, mounting up top keeps it out of the way of the motherboard as well.

Last edited by Sabottx; 07-14-2010 at 05:16 PM.