Corsair Community

Advise request for RGB setup

scopio

What I am about to ask may have been asked before 100’s of times but I would appreciate advice on my intending build for reassurance.

My case is Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Full Tower ATX, PSU is Corsair HX850i 850W Full Modular, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4 and AIO Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB. Corsair STRAFE mechanical keyboard and mouse.

What I intend to add are 6x ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans and SKU CL-8930001 CORSAIR Link RGB LED Lighting Kit.

My questions are;

1. Do I only need Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller and Six (6) port RGB LED hub for CORSAIR RGB fans to control the fans and lighting strips and fit the 4x Thermal sensors?

2. Do I also need the Lighting Node PRO?

3. Should the AIO Corsair Hydro H150i PRO fans be connected to the CPU fan header or the CoPro? My motherboard is an Asus ROG STRIX AMD Ryzen X470-F GAMING AM4 ATX and I would not connect the AIO header as I am advised the AIO and W_PUMP headers on this motherboard run at 100% speed, indeed the manual verifies the speed as 100%!

4. So, should my shopping list be as listed below if not I would appreciate any other products I should add or remove?

1x Twin Fan Pack with Lighting Node PRO ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan

4x ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan

1x Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting Controller

1x Corsair RGB Lighting Node Pro Lighting Controller or would 2x CORSAIR Link RGB LED Lighting?

Where is the PSU USB cable connected to?

Once the shopping list advice is resolved I will post back on how to connect it all.

Thanks

1) Yes. The Commander Pro is the fan controller and software interface. The RGB lighting hub is the power pathway for the lighting. You will either need to buy the RGB Lighting Hub from Corsair directly or pick up one of the twin packs of ML140-RGB to get it inside. That triple pack will also include a Lighting Node Pro, that you currently do not need. However, it can daisy chain into the Commander Pro for future expansion or more flexibility.

2) Not at this time.

3) Connect the "dummy" H150i motherboard header to CPU_FAN or AIO. It doesn't make much difference. There is no power on this path and it simply reports a pump speed to the BIOS. However, the other thing is does is get you past the CPU Boot error that occurs when nothing is on CPU fan. Since you will have all your other fans on the H150i controller or the Commander Pro, you might as well stick the H150i connector on CPU fan and solve two problems. The fans themselves connect to the H150i's internal fan controller. Those will be controllable in iCUE though the cooler's device portal.

4) 2x140 front intake. H150i top exhaust. 1x140 rear. Where will the other two ML140-RGB go? Bottom intake?

*PSU needs a USB 2.0 port. There are two on the Commander Pro and your motherboard likely has 1, although that will be for the C-Pro.

"1x Corsair RGB Lighting Node Pro Lighting Controller or would 2x CORSAIR Link RGB LED Lighting" -- Do you mean the RGB strip lighting? Or something different?

*Also note the fans that come with the H150i are not RGB. This seems to get missed frequently.

Yes. The Commander Pro is the fan controller and software interface. The RGB lighting hub is the power pathway for the lighting. You will either need to buy the RGB Lighting Hub from Corsair directly or pick up one of the twin packs of ML140-RGB to get it inside. That triple pack will also include a Lighting Node Pro, that you currently do not need. However, it can daisy chain into the Commander Pro for future expansion or more flexibility.

(1) So, I need 1x SKU CO-9050078-WW ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan — Twin Fan Pack with Lighting Node PRO which comes with an RGB Lighting Hub included. The only additional products I need is 1x SKU CO-9050077-WW ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan — Single Pack and possibly 3x more depending on how I fit the 3x fans on the H150i.

4) 2x140 front intake. H150i top exhaust. 1x140 rear. Where will the other two ML140-RGB go? Bottom intake?

No, I have no intention to place any other fans at the bottom.

"1x Corsair RGB Lighting Node Pro Lighting Controller or would 2x CORSAIR Link RGB LED Lighting" -- Do you mean the RGB strip lighting? Or something different?

Yes, I meant RGB strip lighting.

*Also note the fans that come with the H150i are not RGB. This seems to get missed frequently.

I am aware the H150i are not RGB.

I am in two minds whether to replace the 3x140 fans on the H150i as I don’t know if it is best to place the fans above the radiator as exhaust as they would not show the lighting within the case so it would be a waste.

Now by having the 3x140 fans on the H150i as exhaust and the 1x140 fan on the rear as exhaust and only 2x140 fans in the front as intake would that not result as negative pressure instead of positive pressure? I would appreciate your advise.

There are two USB 2.0 headers on the board so can I fit a USB Extender like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077G9VZSQ/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item?

Many thanks for your help.

The H150i is a 360mm cooler which means it carries 3 x 120mm fans. While I believe it is possible to fit this in the 750D by ripping out the drive bays, perhaps what you really want is the H115i Pro - a 280mm cooler that is 2x140mm. It is a more natural fit and there is no meaningful difference in cooling between a 280mm and 360mm, except in special circumstances like a minimum noise set up or when otherwise case restricted. You do not need to run the H115i Pro in push-pull with two sets of 140mm fans. It just isn't needed unless you have extreme long professional loads and even then it is a debatable point.

Putting the fans above or below the radiator will have minimal impact on performance, so you can make the decision to hide them or show them off. I generally prefer to mount them on the interior so only one side of the fan is in contact with a solid surface. This tends to be slightly softer in tone, but I am also very picky about that. It is a subtle difference on most cases.

I have not used that USB. Theoretically it should work, although I might be cautious about over doing it. Putting 4 USB devices on the same path when you don't need to might be unnecessarily complicating things. I certainly would use the two on the back of the Commander Pro before going to a powered splitter system.

Got a bit confused :confused: with the size of fans on the H150i you are right again, the 3x fans are 120mm it is the 2x front and 1x rear fans on the case which are 140mm.

The H150i fits on the top of the 750D AirFlow which is where I have fitted it with the fans on the underneath as I don't know yet how warm the radiator gets and I wouldn't like the fans above it as they would push the warm air back into the case. I will have to see how they perform for a while and then decide to have the fans to pull is the case temperature gets too warm. I wouldn't mess with fitting the H150i on the front as I have measured it and it is too tight even by removing one of the drive bays which I already have done as I don't need 6x drives and helps with the airflow.

Next I will study how the CoPro and the RGB Lighting Controller are all setup together. If there are any diagrams available I would appreciate to be pointed towards it.

Thanks again.

Having looked at the excellent wiring diagrams here provided by @Zotty and @DevBiker I decided to draw one of my intended setup for knowledgeable members to have a look and advice me please of any thing wrong with it or how the setup could be improved. I would ideally would like to control all the fans including the PSU and the H150i fans if that is possible with iCUE.

Bear in mind there are only 2 USB 2.0 headers on the mother board and I need 1x for the front panel USB 2.0, 1x for the PSU, 1x for the H150i and 1x for the CoPro!! How can I alter the setup to accommodate all four neede USB 2.0??

Wiring-diagram-2.jpg

Do you have 3 motherboard USB 2.0 headers? That's the only thing that I see as a potential issue here ... very few motherboards these days have 3 headers. Now ... you can do things with adapters and cables to get your configuration onto two headers but don't forget that you have two additional headers with the CoPro as well.

Other than that, looks right on!

Do you have 3 motherboard USB 2.0 headers? That's the only thing that I see as a potential issue here ... very few motherboards these days have 3 headers. Now ... you can do things with adapters and cables to get your configuration onto two headers but don't forget that you have two additional headers with the CoPro as well.

Other than that, looks right on!

Do you have 3 motherboard USB 2.0 headers?
No there are only 2 USB 2.0 headers but I would need 4 USB 2.0 headers as I pointed out above

"1x for the front panel USB 2.0,

1x for the PSU,

1x for the H150i

and 1x for the CoPro"

So, if the CoPro is connected to one of the USB 2.0 on the motherboard I can use the two on the CoPro for the H150i and the other for the PSU, in other words the two USB 2.0 are passthrough headers?

Yes and they work for any 2.0 device. It does not have to be Corsair branded, but I would certainly put the PSU and cooler on the Commander Pro.

Well that is good news as it solves the USB 2.0 without having to use a USB Extender.

As the case is a full tower there is plenty of space to fit the CoPro and the RGB Lighting Hub and I have 2x 50CM Micro-USB Male to 5 Pin Motherboard Female Adapters, which were supplied with the H150i and the PSU. :):

Archived