Corsair Community

Which PSU do you recommend for me?

Mazinho

Hello people, how are you? I use a computer with the following configuration:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (will be upgraded to Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400)

2x 2 G DDR2-800 (will be upgraded to 4x 2 G DDR2-800)

Pegatron GeForce 9300 GS 256 MB (perhaps another low-profile GPU for the future)

HP Benicia with FireWire

Bestech PSU

The computer in question is a HP Pavillion with Bluray Drive.

Well, I use this for work and don't trust so much the PSU and I won't change the platform for a time, just some upgrades.

The parameter of the computer is a micro-tower, so I consider any Corsair PSU will fit, right?

I live in Brazil and here the prices are high because of dollar flutuation, so I am looking for a good product, but with a good price.

I was looking for the newer Corsair CV450, but people say and the price is higher for the CX450, what's the main difference and do you recommend for me the CV450? I would use for at least 7 years. Even changing the platform from 775, I would keep the PSU.

• Corsair Employee
Mini tower 18 large, 37 height, 40 comprimeter. a6750br the model and I will also build another mini tower pc, so if fits this one will fit the another.

Ok. Lucky you, that's a standard ATX PSU and motherboard.

The CX450 is much better than the CV450.

CV450 uses a double forward topology and group regulation. Sleeve bearing fan.

The CX450 is a half-bridge resonant LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan.

Ok. Lucky you, that's a standard ATX PSU and motherboard.

The CX450 is much better than the CV450.

CV450 uses a double forward topology and group regulation. Sleeve bearing fan.

The CX450 is a half-bridge resonant LLC with DC to DC. Rifle bearing fan.

Thank you buddy for your help!

• 3 weeks later...
Detail people, I will use an i3-8th gen, possibly the 8100t ou 8300t and onboard or a low profile graphics card from AMD. I won't need so much power from a PSU, but since Intel has standards of ATX and I saw about EPS there are versions too, one Vs400 fits well with i3-8th gen or only Cx series? Cheers.

• Corsair Employee
But both support the standards imposed by Intel? They are compatible with 8th and 9th gen processors?

No. Only a PSU with DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V can meet those requirements. You would need to disable deep sleep states like C6, C7, etc.

The cheapest Corsair PSU with DC to DC is the CV650 or CX450.

No. Only a PSU with DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V can meet those requirements. You would need to disable deep sleep states like C6, C7, etc.

The cheapest Corsair PSU with DC to DC is the CV650 or CX450.

So CV650 and CX450 meet these requirements? And do you recommend CV650 or CX450?

• Corsair Employee
So CV650 and CX450 meet these requirements? And do you recommend CV650 or CX450?

Yes. They both meet those "requirements".

There is a hierarchy to the Corsair power supply product lines. With quality and features starting from low/none to high/several.

Starting with VS, then CV. Both are double forward, group regulated. Until you get to CV650. This one is still double forward, but has the +3.3V and +5V outputs upgraded to DC to DC. Then you have CX-M, which is double forward with DC to DC with the added feature of semi-modular cables. Then you have the CX (non-M) which is an updated/upgraded topology; half bridge LLC resonant mode. Also with DC to DC... and so on.

Reference: http://www.jongerow.com/Corsair_PSU_hierarchy/index.html

I only suggest CV650, even though you don't need 650W, because you seem concerned with supporting the deep sleep states of the latest CPUs. 650W is way more power than you need, but it supports those deep sleep states.

A CX450M or CX450 will also support these sleep states, but some times, because of the higher quality of the product, tend to be higher price than the CV650. Since you're not using any kind of discrete graphics card and are mostly concerned with sleep states, I suggested these PSUs.

So, depending on how much they cost, you get the cheaper of these three:

CV650

CX450M

CX450

That's it.

It's because I am very boring about time using the hardware, I don't like to switch year by year or more and mainly the PSU, I would use it for at least 10 years, so with the upgrades 650w would be longer, but I don't am exigent about games graphics for example and the main purpose of the PC is work, so I would upgrade graphics cards with low profile but newer and CPUs the same, low-wattage ones. I am thinking seriously about i3-8100t or i3-8300t. Thanks for your help friend!