Corsair Community

Cabride 500R front USB 3.0 ports problem

kwaneowong

Hi,

I have a USB3.0 32GB stick and it works on both the USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports on the Rear I/O Panel of the motherboard and it works on the USB2.0 ports on the front panel of my other setup. However, it just refused to work with the front panel USB3.0 ports on my 500R. Another thing is, my 16GB USB2.0 stick works sometimes with the front USB3.0 ports but a little slow and sometimes it doesn't work at all.

I have noticed there's some other posts have the exact same issue. I have already entered a case with the tech support 2 days ago: #4686711

However, I never got back from them.

I have updated the USB3.0 driver, the BIOS and no luck.

The problem persists and it's very annoying since it's hard to reach to the Rear I/O panel.

The problem details:

1.) it recognizes the 32GB USB3.0 when first plugged in

2.) when copying file to it, it shows "Calculating" and no progress at all

3.) after cancelling the transfer, the USB stick icon remains to show as "Removable stroage" in "My Computer" but it becomes empty and cannot copy files over

4.) it has an error shows up "Could not find this item - This no longer located in Computer " when trying to copy files over

5.) reconnect the header doesn't help

Please advise. Thanks!!

• 1 month later...
I finally got the time to replace the front panel with the new one sent to me by corsair. However , the problem persists, I checked the header and it's plugged in correctly. I tried the mobo with a different case and it works. I tried another usb 3.0 sticks and the same problem. I am really frustrated now. Any other people having the same problem even after replacing the front panel?

I have a 500R case, and my experience with it is the same. Of the two USB 3.0 ports on the front panel, only one works with a USB 3.0 flash drive (the left one when looking at the front of the case.) Also, a USB 2.0 flash drive is not recognized in either port.

I checked the board I'm using with the 500R, a Z77 chipset board, with IB i5-3570 CPU. The Z77 chipset provides four USB 3.0 ports, two of which are on the rear I/O panel. The mother board header for front panel USB 3.0 connections, accepts the 500R's USB 3.0 connector just fine. The boards manual states the header for the front panel USB 3.0 connections supports two USB 3.0 ports, and is provided by the Z77 chipset. I've tried removing and installing the Intel USB 3.0 driver, with no change. The rear I/O panel USB 3.0 headers work fine with USB 3.0 flash drives.

IMO, it seems there is a problem either in the production of the front panel USB 3.0 connections of some kind, or perhaps even in it's design. Front panel USB 3.0 ports are relatively new, particularly those whose interface is directly from a mother board, rather than the jumper cable type from the rear I/O panel. So perhaps all the bugs have not been worked out yet.

It should be easy for Corsair to test one or more production samples of a 500R case, using a mother board with a USB 3.0 connection compatible with the 500R's front panel USB 3.0 connector. They could also test a replacement module for the USB 3.0 front panel headers.

Has anyone had success replacing the front panel USB 3.0 module? I know the mods in this forum are suggesting replacing the module, but I wonder if that is worth our and Corsairs time and effort doing so. Or is there something else that we are missing here?

I just purchased a 500R and have discovered that my front USB 3.0 ports don't seem to be working. While I don't have any 3.0 devices I can test them with, I've been unable to use any of my USB 2.0 devices in those ports. The left port seems to power up for a second before giving me the message "USB Device Not Recognized". The right port doesn't seem to do anything at all when I insert a USB 2.0 device.

I've tried installing various drivers and have been able to get all of my back USB ports to work but I still can't seem to get the front working.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the feedback guys. If this is the case then we will need to discuss this with our Case PM and try to find out if there is a known issue that we need to address.. so far, there are few reports on this issue but we don't know at this point if this a very common problem. In the meantime, submit an RMA lets get the unit replaced for now. Once I get an update from our PM, I'll definitely post it right away.

Ok, I received my replacement front panel connector/cable module for my 500R from Corsair. Thanks Corsair, for a simple and efficient process for getting replacement parts, in my case one week from submitting the order to delivery.

More good news, the new part works fine with USB 3.0 flash drives. Both ports now detect USB 3.0 and 2.0 flash drives. I have two 3.0 flash drives plugged in as I write this, and both are working as they should.

IMO, the new standard connector for USB 3.0 direct to mother board header connections is not the greatest (not a Corsair issue, they did not design it!) and I wonder if that is a factor with this issue.

So it's well worth getting a replacement part IMO, although I've been using mine only for a day. The previous one that came with my 500R never worked right.

• 2 months later...
i got the new I/O front panel yesterday and installed it. did some extensive testing and the USB 3.0 ports seem to work just fine. thanks for the help RAM GUY.

Could you tell me how you removed the old panel? I don't really see any easy way to disasseble it.

thanks

I'm having a different issue with my front USB 3.0 ports. It's only happened three or four times now and I can't necessarily reproduce this problem, but once the USB port contacts (not plugs into) a powered device, such as a flash drive, external hard drive or USB cable connected to a phone, I lose the video signal and my whole system is unresponsive until I hold the power button for more than 5 seconds. Is this a front USB port issue as well?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow - just now finding this thread. I've toasted at least 3 Corsair flash drives and RMA'd them. My 500R is the only case that had issues. I thought it was the Corsair flash drives because other flash drives, even cheap ones would work fine. Looks like it may be the case (USB header). Got my case at the end of 2011 - in fact, I just checked the receipt and I ordered it on November 4th, 2011. So it will be 2 years on Monday. I requested an RMA...

Do they just send you the replacement, or do you have to send your old one back?

Hi

My firts post on forum. I bought 500R black one week ago but i noticed that my case has USB issue. I requested RMA couple days ago, but nobody answers. My ticketnummber is 6223487. I live in Poland, the replace part will be also shipped to Poland?

thanks for your reply

Maciek

Hi there from Poland!

Corsair is closed on the weekends so if you requested your RMA anytime between friday afternoon and now, chances are they are just catching up. Tickets are answered i the order that are received. So it may take them a day or so to catch up. Also please check your spam folder sometimes they end up there too.

But yes, they will ship to Poland as well

Hi there from Poland!

Corsair is closed on the weekends so if you requested your RMA anytime between friday afternoon and now, chances are they are just catching up. Tickets are answered i the order that are received. So it may take them a day or so to catch up. Also please check your spam folder sometimes they end up there too.

But yes, they will ship to Poland as well

I started my ticket on Saturday, and talked to them yesterday (Monday) and they approved the RMA over the phone. This morning I got an email from Corsair with the UPS tracking number. It has already shipped. I am glad I got it going before my warranty was over, which was actually yesterday.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for digging this old thread up, but I literally just bought a new Carbide 500R for my new rig from my local computer store, and I've been experiencing the exact same issues as the OP...

I've lodged an RMA via the website, and my ticket # is 6271709.

Was just double-checking to see if Corsair will send out a replacement front I/O unit to me in Australia free of charge, seeing as I'm well within the 2yr warranty? :)

Apologies for digging this old thread up, but I literally just bought a new Carbide 500R for my new rig from my local computer store, and I've been experiencing the exact same issues as the OP...

Was just double-checking to see if Corsair will send out a replacement front I/O unit to me in Australia free of charge, seeing as I'm well within the 2yr warranty? :)

being your still well within your warranty,i feel confident they will send you an i/o panel

No apologies needed! But yes, they sure will.

Archived