Corsair Community

H100i V2 constant disconnect and reconnect

kencredible

So I searched around before posting, but nothing seemed to match my problem exactly. Prior to my problem I was using CL to run my pump and CPU fans (connected to the radiator), and Asus Fan expert 3 to run my case fans. I really wasn't a fan initially of the CL software, but after some research and forum browsing, and learning I started to like it more, and was planning on using it to run everything.

The above set up was running fine for three weeks (new build). The problem started today when I updated my bios (Asus Z170-A mobo) via the EZ update tool. Now, everything else on the system is fine, but my cooler disconnects and reconnects every few seconds from the mobo, to the point i had to turn off the sound as it was driving me nuts. I also went to the asus website and installed the latest usb drivers, which I believe I already had

I downloaded SIV in preparation for red-ray's response.

Hopefully some helpful info:

Mobo: Asus Z170-A bios version 3007

Corsair H100iV firmware version 2.8.0.0

CL shows my H100i V2 at all times, with constant updating of fluid temp, pump speed, Core temps, package temps, and Load, GPU temp and fan speed, my HDD temp, and 2 of my 3 SSD temps (one drive isn't listed).

Siv: At Times the USB Bus shows:

Siv1.thumb.jpg.169884cc898172ab0c861abc4f15d217.jpg

and when I Click on the Corsair port (Port 0.13) I get this screen:

64966756_Siv2.thumb.jpg.f6bc2277c820b2007bf6c51eba4c6a29.jpg

My Link devices screen is:

1166593176_Siv3.thumb.jpg.3a178066ebba8113d9e67e80c018dc92.jpg

the port lights up blue and grays out as the device attaches and detaches

Here is a screen shot of when it isn't detecting the Cooler

1728229013_Siv4.thumb.jpg.667e3a6b6bec9f30b86073388046cf8a.jpg

CL Home screen:

CL1.thumb.jpg.13834e1ff5beab22b26e0934b2ac37d5.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help.

I suspect when you updated the BIOS this may have enabled fan control for the CPU_FAN header. Have you checked it's disabled as it needs to be? If not the H100iV2 will not get the constant +12 volts it needs and could well disconnect/connect as the power comes and goes.

Further running CL4 + ASUS software at the same time is asking for problems as the ASUS software fails to use mutexes to interlock access. Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118371 you should see Corsair say AI Suite and CL should not be used at the same time and AFAIK the same is the case for Fan expert 3.

SIV + ASUS c**p should not be run at the same time and I can't support SIV if users choose to do this, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=886400

If you just run SIV after totally exiting CL4 do the sample counts for the H100iV2 always increment every two seconds? I suspect all the current values will be zero from time to time and the counts will stall. You need to totally exit CL4 as there is a bug in the CL4 locking code that causes issues with SIV being unable to access the H100iV2, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=866159. Both Tamas (AIDA64) and I expect this is a bug in the CL4 implementation of the locking semantics.

Well done for posting SIV screen shots, if only all users posted the SIV screen shots without needing to be prompted :biggrin:. BTW .PNG works better than .JPG for screen images.

Edited by red-ray

I suspect when you updated the BIOS this may have enabled fan control for the CPU_FAN header. Have you checked it's disabled as it needs to be? If not the H100iV2 will not get the constant +12 volts it needs and could well disconnect/connect as the power comes and goes.

Thank you for the reply. I checked and all the settings seemed to be as I had left them prior. I was unable to find how to disable the fan control for the CPU in the bios (still learning a bit), but I did set it to a 100% DC. In Fan Xpert 3, CPU fan control is disabled though. Setting it to 100% DC seems to have fixed my issue. I'm pretty sure it was set to the standard slope in the bios before updating, and from what I understood a 3 pin connector plugged into a 4 pin pwm port would run at 12V since it didn't have the 4th pin. (I could be wrong here, again trying to do research on this)

Further running CL4 + ASUS software at the same time is asking for problems as the ASUS software fails to use mutexes to interlock access. Looking at http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118371 you should see Corsair say AI Suite and CL should not be used at the same time and AFAIK the same is the case for Fan expert 3.

I have read that, but figured I'd be okay if I was using CL link for just the pump and radiator fans, and Asus software for my chassis fans. My plan was to just hook the pump up to the pump header and radiator fans to CPU fan and CPU opt in the future, as I wasn't really liking the CL software compared to the Asus software initially. I see your opinion on the Asus software below, I find the fan xpert 3 to be fairly customize-able, do you really recommend against it while I do more reading into SIV? If running SIV, I should or should not be running CL software, as it seems SIV has all the CL options in it.

SIV + ASUS c**p should not be run at the same time and I can't support SIV if users choose to do this, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=886400

I just installed SIV as I had read a lot of posts on here, and knew if you replied you'd want the info I posted above. This isn't my first build, but it is the first time I'm really starting to tinker (slowly, and trying to research a lot). I really like the SIV software, but I need to do A LOT of reading before I use it as my primary control. Im assuming SIV lets you do a lot of editing, and is just not a monitoring/diagnostic tool?

If you just run SIV after totally exiting CL4 do the sample counts for the H100iV2 always increment every two seconds? I suspect all the current values will be zero from time to time and the counts will stall. You need to totally exit CL4 as there is a bug in the CL4 locking code that causes issues with SIV being unable to access the H100iV2, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=866159. Both Tamas (AIDA64) and I expect this is a bug in the CL4 implementation of the locking semantics.

I will look more into this

Well done for posting SIV screen shots, if only all users posted the SIV screen shots without needing to be prompted :biggrin:. BTW .PNG works better than .JPG for screen images.

Thank you, I have been members of various forums in the past and try to use proper forum etiquette, to see if my question has already been answered. In looking up my problem I found you answered a lot of these posts, and seemed to be the resident expert, and requested SIV screen shots. Thank you for what you do for the communuty

Edited by kencredible
added follow up question

I wonder why not, if you post Menu->Devices->SMART Drives I can probably tell. For the one that's not press the [sATA 600] and post that screen as well.

You can see above that my intel drive is not listed in the CL home page

In Siv it shows it:866037503_Sivdrives.thumb.png.08f22174bd2fffd4031d23ec4e342b9b.png

SATA 600:139623088_IntelSATA600.thumb.png.73bf6e4bef42c3063184e1383063fac4.png

Edited by kencredible

Thank you for the reply. I checked and all the settings seemed to be as I had left them prior. I was unable to find how to disable the fan control for the CPU in the bios (still learning a bit), but I did set it to a 100% DC. In Fan Xpert 3, CPU fan control is disabled though. Setting it to 100% DC seems to have fixed my issue. I'm pretty sure it was set to the standard slope in the bios before updating, and from what I understood a 3 pin connector plugged into a 4 pin pwm port would run at 12V since it didn't have the 4th pin. (I could be wrong here, again trying to do research on this)

Good :biggrin:, pin-4 is actually the PWM signal and pin-2 is +12 volts. For ASUS boards PWM is what I would select as this means pin-2 will always be +12 volts. With DC the pin-2 voltage may vary which is why you needed to set 100%.

I have read that, but figured I'd be okay if I was using CL link for just the pump and radiator fans, and Asus software for my chassis fans. My plan was to just hook the pump up to the pump header and radiator fans to CPU fan and CPU opt in the future, as I wasn't really liking the CL software compared to the Asus software initially. I see your opinion on the Asus software below, I find the fan xpert 3 to be fairly customize-able, do you really recommend against it while I do more reading into SIV? If running SIV, I should or should not be running CL software, as it seems SIV has all the CL options in it.

ASUS + either CL4 or SIV is much the same as playing Russian Roulette, do you feel lucky?

All of AIDA64 + CL4 + CPUZ/HWM + HWiNFO + SIV at the same time should be fine. Once the CL4 locking bug is fixed then the CL hardware reporting will be improved.

I really like the SIV software, but I need to do A LOT of reading before I use it as my primary control. Im assuming SIV lets you do a lot of editing, and is just not a monitoring/diagnostic tool?

Some use CL4 and some use SIV to control their CL hardware. If SIV is controlling (-AIOCTL) you should not have CL4 active as unlike SIV it will always control.

If you wish to do something that SIV does not support and I feel it would be sensible for SIV to do this it might take as long as 48 hours before there is a Beta that does, read from http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=887306. There are some things I would like to add that I can't as Corsair decline to provide me with the hardware/protocol information.

Have you read http://rh-software.com/Using%20SIV%20to%20Control%20Corsair%20Link%20Hardware.pdf?

• 2 weeks later...

So I just, yesterday, put together my dream build that includes the H100i v2. I was so happy to have it and it looks perfect in my build!

That feeling of joy was all washed away the moment I plugged my sound in to hear the constant disconnect/reconnect sound. Grrrrrr..

I have the MSI Z270 Platinum that has a dedicated pump connection and found that it the issue is related to my profile for that connection. Essentially, even though it is labeled "pump" it is just a renamed fan controller. In the software bios, msi command center, and CL I was trying to limit the amount of noise by reducing the fan/pump speed below 50% at low temps. Turns out that anything below that just isn't enough power for the fans and pump to run so it was losing power and disconnecting at lower temps (which explains why I got the stupid reconnect/disconnect sound more often at idle) 3am rolls around and I'm about to give up trying to fix it, I saw a warning message in my bios that said something to the effect that anything below 50 may not be enough power to run a fan (like I stated above) so I changed the profile for the pump so that it will run at at least 50% at all times. Pretty much ran the fan and pump full bore for 5 or so minutes at idle, recorded the lowest possible temp on the CPU and then made sure that the pump was set to run at 50% at a couple of degrees lower than that. This way it will run at this speed base line and then ramp up from there as the CPU takes on load.

Long story short no more disconnect/reconnect sounds for me.

I think, in the future, it may be a good idea for these AIO devices have separate power to the ATX rather than power off the MB fan connection.

Hopes this helps others.

• 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem as others in this thread. My Corsair HydroSeries H100i v2 keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. My understanding is that I need to set the CPU Fan voltage control to 100% so that it operates constantly at 12V, but I'm not sure how to do that in my BIOS. I tried looking all over the place but I can't seem to find that setting.

Here's what I've done so far.

At first, the disconnect/reconnect was happening very often. I ran USBLogView to see what was causing it and it pointed to the Corsair fan as shown here:

corsair%20%28Small%29.png?raw=1

I installed Corsair's iCUE software and that improved things quite a bit, but I still periodically get the disconnect/reconnect.

My motherboard is: MSI PRO X299 PRO https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X299-PRO/Overview

Here's a screenshot of the BIOS:

msi_bios%20%28Small%29.jpg?raw=1

Anyone know how I can solve the disconnect/reconnect problem?

Anyone know how I can change the CPU fan voltage control to 100% in my MSI BIOS?

Thanks in advance!

So that's confirming that you aren't powering the fan properly.

Do you see those little circles on the fan curve?

Put them all at the top.

Note that running your fan at less that 12V will eventually damage the pump.

Thank you for your advice. I changed the fan curve as you suggested on CPU 1 settings while leaving PUMP 1 settings alone. Is that correct?

msi_bios2%20%28Small%29.jpg?raw=1

msi_bios3%20%28Small%29.jpg?raw=1

The fan is running noticeably faster and it's noticeably louder. Is this a necessary downside of running it as it was designed?

fan_speed%20%28Medium%29%20%28Small%29.jpg?raw=1

The fan is running faster because it's now getting the full 12V. It's a PWM fan so that's exactly as it should be.

You would need to set a custom fan curve from here. Also, tbh, the stock fans for the H100i are loud ... period.

Edited by DevBiker