Corsair Community

AIO placement for Intel i9900k & 2080ti

Stefan_Iyapah

Hi all

I'm in the middle of buying parts for my first PC build and have a question about cooling. My parts so far are:

CPU Intel i9 9900k

GPU ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix OC Edition

Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4x16GB)

Motherboard ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390

Cooler AIO Corsair H150i Pro XT

Case To be decided based on how much airflow I need

I'm going to be using mainly for Animation/VFX/Design (a lot of After Effects and some C4D Animation/GPU Rendering.)

From the options below, what would be the safer airflow setup with my H150i Pro XT in order to keep both the i9900k and 2080ti cool enough, especially if doing a bit of overclocking?

1. Use the H150i as an exhaust on the top of the case with 3 x 120mm case fans on the front to provide cool air for the GPU. However, I've read posts saying the heat from the GPU will just end up heating the CPU too much in this case.

2. Use the H150i at the front as intake and 3 x 120mm case fans on top as exhaust. However for this option I've read that the GPU will get too hot because of air inflow being heated by radiator.

I'm aware there are several posts about this but I haven't seen any specifically with my parts above so wondering what people think is a safe solution for me?

Open to other configuration suggestions for my specs but can't really approach any custom waterloops as I'm PC build beginner!

Thanks in advance for any help :)

My final answer is always case dependent, but since that is in the TBD category it's easy to recommend the front intake for your specific needs. This offers the greatest theoretical air temp differential for the radiator and keeps it out of the GPU heat zone. An open fan design Ti will blow a lot of heat around. In turn, the exhaust temp coming of the H150i on the front will be approximately equal to the coolant temp. On a bad in the worst conditions (28C room, 37-40C coolant), that means you are blowing 40C air at the GPU. Everything about your GPU will be warmer than 40C even it were on a full water block. There is no penalty.

The only common casualty with front intake is if you have one of those MBs with the m2 drive slot sticking out into the front intake air path. For that, blowing 40C air on m2 will heat up the m2 like into the upper 40s. That's well below the limit and likely not applicable, but that or anything else that is substantially temperature sensitive in the front would see a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!

I've narrowed down to a few case and airflow options and wondering what you think would be best for my setup bearing in mind that I have a i9900k and an open-air 2080ti?

Carbide 540 (£120)

Front Intake – H150i 360mm rad with 3 x 120mm fans

Top Exhaust – 2 x 140mm case fans

Rear Exhaust – 1 x 140mm case fan

ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS (£200)

Front Intake – 3 x 140mm case fans

Top Exhaust – H150i 360mm rad with 3 x 120mm fans

ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS (£200)

Top Exhaust – 3 x 120mm case fans

Coolermaster H500m (£220)

Front Intake – 2 x 200mm case fans

Top Exhaust – H150i 360mm rad with 3 x 120mm fans

Coolermaster H500m (£220)

Top Exhaust – 3 x 120mm case fans

Thanks again for any help on this

Stefan

I'd get that Air 540, front intake rad, add some fans bottom intake to support GPU with more fresh air. top + back exhaust.

Pro tip: raise the case a bit farther off the ground with some taller feet for better airflow

edit: just noticed the Air 540 doesn't have support for bottom fans like the Air 240 does. Check out the 680x in that case

Edited by Infin1tum

Specifically for the 540, I would top mount the radiator. Lots of experience with that case including SLI builds. The best thing about it is that short distance from front fans to the GPU and everything else. You are effectively blowing the air through the back with those front fans as the only intake air source. Muting it with the radiator would really take the temperature edge off. I also don't think you would have a choice. It's not a super long case and that GPU at 305mm would likely make front mounting a radiator impossible. That also means you are looking at 280mm unit and not 360mm.

The Evolv X and H500 I do not have personal experience with. The Evolv has the typical solid panels for noise dampening, so that will have an effect on airflow. I would lean toward front mount for that case, but it really does come down to nitty gritty details like offset from the panel, etc. The CM case is more open. People either love or hate the 200mm fans, so you can decide based on that. I wouldn't say they are good for direct cooling on a GPU, so sticking the 360mm radiator up front should have minimal effect on that.