Corsair Community

Can Vengeance RGP PRO be too heavy for motherboard slots?/Causing Issues

website4you

So here is a question is it possible that Vengeance RGP PRO is too heavy for motherboard slots?

I have a new build using Asus Strix X570-I Gaming MB,

Now after 5-6 hours of idle whenever i shake the computer case slightly computer just reboots or gets blue screen.

To diagnose it, i opened the case up checked evey cable and every component every connection. Everything is solid except even slightest movement of the RAM stick causes reboot or blue screen.

Now if i put downward pressure on the sticks to reseat them in the slots reboots upon movement go away for about 5-6 hours.

My suspicion is that memory sags down or shifts in the slot after some time which causes reboots.

Anyone experiences something similar?

The Vengeance Pro is very heavy. However, your motherboard should be able to handle it without any problems. I believe that you may have a faulty motherboard. I would contact Asus's Tech Support to see what they have to say about it. You may have to RMA the board.

Ram socket solder failures are one of the common flukes on motherboards. I also believe that's your issue.

When you'll get your replacement, mount the ram on the board over a flat surface before installing it in the case, to avoid unnecesary flexing of the PCB. It should help :)

That is what i was worried about, so was kind of leaning towards specific RAM MB physical incompatibility. But MB defect crossed my mind, however i was thinking towards slot defect rather bad soldering.

Anyhow Asus did offer RMA to fix it, however since the issue is kind of intermittent, and if they test on flat bench with lighter ram, issue might not even show up. It would suck just to go trough disassembly mailing it in waiting 10-14 days to get no result.

I wanted to try to get lighter ram, possibly different manufacturer to test it first, and if issue still persists mailing MB to ASUS.

• 1 month later...

Did not get new RAM yet but can confirm that issue appears to be weight of sticks. After about 4 weeks i noticed one of the sticks did not glow right was blinking (RGB lighting). So i tried rebooting, did not fix the issue. Only after removing the stick and reinstalling it RAM started glowing right. And that was happening in the 2nd slot, not the one that caused reboots i mentioned in previous post.

IS it possible exchange it for a different model by contacting Corsair support or is it useless to try?