Corsair Community

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Memory options

pats

Hi there, Righto, ive got this motherboard and an Athlon 64 bit 3000+ cpu, its been running fine even with my PC2100 ram. All that is needed left to buy is some quality RAM and ive chosen Corsair. Ive been looking at some of the following specs of memory and cannot come to a defintive decision on which RAM to buy! Would I be best buying TwinX memory or normal? Ive found that there is not much of a price diffrence between Dual or single. Ive narrowed it down to the following modules but need a firm decision on which one i should go for! Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200XL Pro TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 or going for the standard Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200C2 Pro CAS2 - qty 2 Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LL Low Latency Pro CAS2 - qty 2 Ive read up (to page 40 on this fourm) and done quite a bit of research on this and just need a firm choice out of the above. Thanks for help your time :):

TwinX is not dual channel memory, and neither is CMX single channel. Memory is neither one or the other. It is the use of the memory that is one or the other. In most boards dual / single channel usage of memory is controlled by the chipset's memory controller. In the Athlon 64s, the memory controller is on the CPU itself. Since it seems you would like to run your memory in dual channel, it is recommended that you gt TwinX memory, as it is pre-tested in pairs to ensure the tightest timings right out of the box. If you were to buy 2 sticks seperately, they may not run at their single stick rated timings when paired up. I'd go with the XL Pro as it has the tightest timings, however I'm not sure if the Athlon64s will take full advantage of the timings. If not, then I'd go with the LLs.

Do you not think that 1gig of memory is sufficient for future tasks? I mean I will probably get another system before 2gig will be put into proper use? 1gig will run most tasks and furture games that are yet to be released. Do you not think?

[quote name='RAM GUY']Yes I would agree! However, some of the software on the horizon like Doom 3 will not be able to load all of the maps unless you have 2.0 Gig of memory![/QUOTE] Bugger! ah but at low/med res it still should be playable and loadable im sure. It has too be!

Righto ive made up my descsion and im going for the - Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 Its not the pro version so will I only be loosing out on the LEDs? im guessing that all the specs are the same as the Pro version of this memory? Im going for this version becuase it just alot cheaper to buy here in the UK retailing at £219 for non Pro and Pro retailing for £265! Ill probably spend the extra on memory when I get my next new system. Cheers for your help guys :):

• 2 weeks later...
Right im back :): new memory installed and everything looks good.. I think. Installed : Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LL TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (black Heatspreader) Anyway im running everything at defualt values. I upped the fsb to 205 and got into Windows just fine however after about 20mins I got a random reboot. The system has set itslef back to defualt values after a message "overclocking failed" The sticks are installed in slots 1 and 3 and most of the settings are set to auto. Changing the dimm volatge might work, anything else that I would need to alter? the system has been fine and super quick for the past 30mins on defualt values. Ill see how it goes. Im going to run memtest tonight and leave it over night :):

Result : :): DDR voltage set too 2.7 everything else auto, its running sweet, been up for an hour and bit now so it should be alright. :): might up the fsb later see how it responds. Anyway. Bring on Doom 3! Cheers for the help and time you guys have given me! ill try and get some benchies up.

Archived