Corsair Community

High CPU usage

ROBOCALYPSE

Hello 👋

Hoping someone can shed some light on my problem I have been experiencing with the iCUE software. For the past month my computer has been experiencing lag in games and streaming. I had discovered very high cpu usage while running iCUE software. Even after a shut down the cpu would be pegged at 100% before running any programs. Uninstalling and reinstalling would sometimes seem to fix the problem but it would always start back up soon after. I could tell when it would be acting up because my idle temp would sit at 50c. After uninstalling the software the computer runs fine with an idle temp of 30c with 1-2% cpu usage after booting. I’m dissapointed I can not run the software that ties all my Corsair products together. This is a new build with minimal software installed mainly used for gaming.

P.S. I have a feeling it could be problem with iCUE conflicting with some other monitoring software. The only other installed is MSI’s Dragon Center, Intel extreme tuning and MSI afterburner.

Thanks in advance for and advice / help

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve been searching and reading through these forums for about 2 weeks now. I did across this fix and while it did work, the problem was back after the next reboot. At this point I have uninstalled the software and it’s been smooth sailing, no lag, no dropped frames in Streamlabs OBS. I have 7 pieces of Corsair hardware in my new build that interact with iCue (10 pieces of Corsair hardware total). I am dissapointed I can not run the iCue software. I’m not talking a small amount of cpu usage, it pegs my i9 at 100%.

I’ve had the same issues with an MSI Z370 build utilizing only 2 sticks of Corsair memory and a cpu cooler which makes me think it’s an issue with the MSI mother boards or software (dragon center Z390 / command center z370)

Anyone else have these issues?! I’ve seen similar posts further back in the forums with little support offered.

You guys think this is something I could open a support ticket on? Maybe reach out to Corsair myself? I figured I’d reach out the the forums first.

Yes! Exactly what I’m thinking. Hoping to understand this problem better. I mean who would by a mother board and not expect to be able to run its software. Must be a way to make the two work in harmony.

Please let me know if anyone out there has a similar set up and has experienced the same problems. 🤙

Here are two photos that show my problem when running a fresh install of iCue. This first photo shows the task maganger on a reboot with iCue set to run when windows starts up. The second photo shows the task manager with iCue closed out. Big difference between the two. I still cannot find any solution to this problem.

726D2456-7AE5-467B-A2F0-4CB884014151.thumb.jpeg.39f11968cdc64ff66562d3869c6dc52f.jpeg

5314DDC9-601B-4D38-9FA0-52FBB44B29A1.thumb.jpeg.49009b093f43b5982d5c99079c0a1b43.jpeg

• Corsair Employee
It's honestly just something that needs to be corrected in CPUID's backend software we use. So, we're aware of it and working on it on our end, but for now I can't suggest much other than waiting for an update and making sure that software control for the RAM is turned off. It's just all that lighting info having to move through the CPU takes up a lot of bandwidth right now. I can assure you we are definitely looking into improvements in optimization though.

• 7 months later...

Is there an update to this thread? I'm having the same problem as of the day of this posting. I have to disable my iCue software and Corsair.Services process not because of high CPU usage but because of constant spiking of my CPU cycles. See attached history. CPU goes from 4600Mhz to 800Mhz over and over all day long. I use the software for my Strafe RGB Keyboard.

It's honestly just something that needs to be corrected in CPUID's backend software we use. So, we're aware of it and working on it on our end, but for now I can't suggest much other than waiting for an update and making sure that software control for the RAM is turned off. It's just all that lighting info having to move through the CPU takes up a lot of bandwidth right now. I can assure you we are definitely looking into improvements in optimization though.

1647531726_Annotation2019-11-18205155.thumb.png.99727df4ef08963b18cdddfa529f2327.png

I have the same issue with cpu usage being abnormal as I use a gaming laptop (Acer Predator 17 G9-791)with 2 corsair devices which the Void Pro Wireless and K70 MK2 Blue Cherry Keyboard and this issue affects battery life (due to the cpu being kept at the max performance all the time instead of idling at low mhz) as I have tried the various tips mentioned in this topic as soon the ICUE starts up the issue returns, so in essence there is a sever bug in the software causing this issue and needs to be fixed post haste.

Hi;

having the same issue;

as soon as ICUE is installed windows gets Laggy; mouse stops responding and my framerate drops.

even with the option disabled for software control form the ram this happens.

i can live without ICue but this is really bad for someone that has the full corsair lineup. it seems to happen more with x570 and AMD Cpus.

only solution for now is the remove ICUE completely.

Corsair please have a look in at what is causing this. with your software the machine is unusable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting 20% cpu usage (even on static colour) on my i7 9700K when RAM is on full software control. Is this a bug? Will it ever be made lower? Because you can do so much more with full software control over the RAM leds.

EDIT: Corsair probably trolled me because they released an update today to fix this issue, software version 3.24.52. Good job!

Edited by Cruxiaer

Getting 20% cpu usage (even on static colour) on my i7 9700K when RAM is on full software control. Is this a bug? Will it ever be made lower? Because you can do so much more with full software control over the RAM leds.

EDIT: Corsair probably trolled me because they released an update today to fix this issue, software version 3.24.52. Good job!

The update didn’t fix it for me. I just added 4x8GB of Dominator Platinum RGB to my PC today. Unfortunately, it’s making my CPU run at the max of 4.48 GHz 100% of the time, and the usage is about 20%. Disabling full software control immediately fixes this, but I lose the lightning on my RAM. This is really frustrating.

$250 for an item that eats up my PC’s resources if I want to use it the way it’s intended. I’m really displeased.

The update didn’t fix it for me. I just added 4x8GB of Dominator Platinum RGB to my PC today. Unfortunately, it’s making my CPU run at the max of 4.48 GHz 100% of the time, and the usage is about 20%. Disabling full software control immediately fixes this, but I lose the lightning on my RAM. This is really frustrating.

$250 for an item that eats up my PC’s resources if I want to use it the way it’s intended. I’m really displeased.

The fix for the Vengeance required a firmware update. Not sure the status on the Dominator but I'd guess it's in process.

And you don't lose lighting with hardware control. The effects are limited, yes, but you still have lighting. I get that it's annoying but hyperbole doesn't help.

I also got 4x8GB of Dominator RGB after this iCUE update. Forgot to mark down the firmware it came with as I updated the firmware on the RAM instantly but no high CPU usage for me.

Currently they are on 1.02.23.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to bump an old thread but I am having the same issue. I only have the K95 Platinum keyboard, and I don't have the option to disable full software control. That button doesn't even exist as a setting anywhere for my K95 in iCUE. Both iCUE (v3.24.52) and the firmware on my K95 (v3.21.28) are up-to-date. When I notice the 100% CPU usage most is when either The Division 2 crashes (I have a separate RGB profile for that game) or when starting up Black Desert Online (goes away after start-up, does NOT have a separate profile). It uses 100% CPU during those times and even the mouse on my screen moves with incredible lag. Been this way a couple months now, still no fix for me. I do have MSI Afterburner installed as well but I don't use it (might be running in the background, I don't know).

• 2 weeks later...
So it's February 2020 and the issue continues. Software off for RAM, static colour only, mouse polling rate low - I've tried it all.

Nobody can help if you don’t detail your specifications, iCUE version, exact details, etc. The new RAM driver reduces CPU usage to a pittance. If you still have high cpu usage, you are probably looking at a local issue. We can’t blindly guess about that.

• 3 months later...

I got a K70 RGB mk2 a couple weeks ago, and about six times now I've been idly using my computer while working from home (no PC gaming the last while) and iCUE pegs a core at 100% and makes the system super unresponsive until I kill it and re-start it.

Both iCUE and the K70 are all up-to-date: iCUE 3.28.70, K70 v3.24.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041 (Insider Slow)

Core i7 6700K

Gigabyte Z170X-UDF-CF mobo

Corsair CMK32GX4MA2666C16 4x8GB RAM

AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB

My iCUE install is fresh -- never had it before. The only thing I'm using it for is a simple default profile with a simple color shift between 2 colors.

I don't see any Settings at all for RAM as mentioned here; and everything is set to the default.

I do also have a simple dashboard configured but I've not looked at it when this problem happens...it just has CPU, mobo, RAM, and GPU status.

Edited by Asher

I got a K70 RGB mk2 a couple weeks ago, and about six times now I've been idly using my computer while working from home (no PC gaming the last while) and iCUE pegs a core at 100% and makes the system super unresponsive until I kill it and re-start it.

Go to Windows Settings -> Apps and left click on Corsair iCUE. Select modify and run the repair installation. Hopefully that cleans it up. If not, you may be looking at some kind of interaction with another program.

People who use iCue and still have high CPU usage like I do.

iCue caused the WMI Provider Host and System process to eat up 25% CPU together.

I think I found the culprit or well on my system(i7-8650u) and these iCue processes caused System and WMI process to use a lot of resources:

Corsair.Service.CpuIdRemote64.exe

Corsair.Service.DisplayAdapter.exe

Corsair.Service.exe

I renamed them all and since then CPU usage gone from 25% to around 5%.

Corsair, please take a look in these processes, I don't need them and yet they activate together with iCue causing WMI and System process to use a lot of CPU.

• 2 months later...

Don't know if anyone still having the issue will find this helpful at all. But I had to update to the latest version (3.31.81). I had been using an older version since I got a RAM detection bug and high cpu usage when using ICUE. Due to the fact that I also have Armoury crate installed. But even with that unistalled I got the same bugs in ICUE.

I monitored this today and with the new version ICUE uses 6.0% of my CPU, in fairness it's probably due to it detecting the Mobo and Graphics card in the new version. But it always seems to eventually break for me anyway.

What has currently worked for me is simply deleting the ASUS folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\plugins so that it can't see the MOBO and Card anymore.

I am aware it's not really a fix, but it works for me and my CPU usage from ICUE is down to about 1-2% which is better than it was. So I hope someone finds this helpful.

I still wish I knew why I get so many bugs even If I uninstall Armoury crate and have just ICUE but hey ho :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, i've encountered high CPU usage after updating to the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview build 20201 from build 20197, Corsair Service cpu usage rose up from like 1,5-2% to 16-17%. Any things u can recommend other then trying to go back to previous build? Thanks.