Corsair Community

Adding RAM now system wont POST

Dmbeirne

Hi,

I have been trying to add new RAM to my system. So it currently has 2x8GB RAM sticks and have wanted to add 2 additional 16GB RAM sticks to the system. The sticks are all same make/freq (corsair vengeance pro) and originally I had to reset BIOs then it worked. It would only give me 2133 out of the sticks when they are all 3600 capable. I tried turning on X-AMP and setting it to auto. Pc did not post. I reset bios to try again. Still nothing. I have all 4 sticks of RAM (48GB) in and it will post fine on 2133 the default but when I try to max out it wont post. The 2 16GB are in DimA2 and DimB2 and DimA1 and DimB1 for the 2x 8GB ones. Any ideas to get the full freq potential out of this or what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.

https://i.gyazo.com/feb81458d18f5eac91694eca81a7b88c.jpg

This is for reference on the BIOs when it does work once i reset it

https://i.gyazo.com/6d26f89d005ab10e697e1e3b075f5d78.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/60993b589c8e2520ee52c5d6982cd5d1.jpg

Edited by Technobeard
merged posts

Mixing different RAM kits is always a hit or miss proposition. You have mixed two different types, with two different sizes and densities. The odds are massively against you. You will never be able to use XMP and will have to tweak settings manually. Mixing the 16GB modules with the 8GB is really tough. I would exercise the return options you have or in a worst case scenario, drop the two 8GB modules. You likely can't use more than 32GB anyway.

• Corsair Employee

Not only are you mixing memory, but you are mixing two completely different kits of memory and expecting to be able to turn on XMP without any issues. Both kits are rated for different speeds and timings, different capacity, and most likely uses different memory ICs. This is not a validated or guaranteed use case for either kit of memory as we do not guarantee mixing kits of memory will work.

You most likely are not going to get those two kits to work and this isn't something covered by the warranty. If you are able to you should return your newest kit with the retailer you purchased it from.

If your intent is to upgrade capacity it is our recommendation to purchase a single kit of memory at the capacity, speed, and timings you wish to have that is listed on your motherboards memory QVL as compatible for your specific series of Ryzen CPU and your motherboard.

Not only are you mixing memory, but you are mixing two completely different kits of memory and expecting to be able to turn on XMP without any issues. Both kits are rated for different speeds and timings, different capacity, and most likely uses different memory ICs. This is not a validated or guaranteed use case for either kit of memory as we do not guarantee mixing kits of memory will work.

You most likely are not going to get those two kits to work and this isn't something covered by the warranty. If you are able to you should return your newest kit with the retailer you purchased it from.

If your intent is to upgrade capacity it is our recommendation to purchase a single kit of memory at the capacity, speed, and timings you wish to have that is listed on your motherboards memory QVL as compatible for your specific series of Ryzen CPU and your motherboard.

Both parts seem to be the same apart from size capacity they have same speeds...

These are the 2 links to the kits

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 AMD Optimized Memory – Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TC4TPCN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_XsgTFbZME8XN0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, High Performance Desktop Memory Kit (AMD Optimised) - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082DGZJ9C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_dugTFbF0FRD1Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe I’m missing something but on paper everything in the kits looks the same bar one kit is 16 and the other 32?

• Corsair Employee
Both parts seem to be the same apart from size capacity they have same speeds...

These are the 2 links to the kits

Except they aren't the same and either way we do not recommend or guarantee the ability to mix kits of memory together, even if they are the same exact part number, as memory is only validated and guaranteed to work in the configuration they are sold as.

The screenshot of your BIOS shows two completely different kits with two completely different speeds and timings on top of that.

CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 is one kit and the other is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16. You are attempting to mix completely different kits and it just will not work.

Except they aren't the same and either way we do not recommend or guarantee the ability to mix kits of memory together, even if they are the same exact part number, as memory is only validated and guaranteed to work in the configuration they are sold as.

The screenshot of your BIOS shows two completely different kits with two completely different speeds and timings on top of that.

CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 is one kit and the other is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16. You are attempting to mix completely different kits and it just will not work.

You see how the 16GB version has '3200' in it does that mean it's 3200mHz as the one I bought is supposed to be the 3600mHz size...?

I contacted Amazon and it seems that I may have received the wrong size 3200mHz 16GB kit instead of the 3600mHz kit but it was in the 3600mHz Box so slightly confusing. Small error that they may have put the wrong sticks in the box but didn't think I'd have to check each stick before inputting into my machine xD. I have contacted aazon and they have arranged for me to return the kit as it was an error.

Just out of curiosity would it work with 2 kits 2x8GB and 2x16GB if both were the same 3600mHz same brand etc. just different GB size? That's what I was aiming for maybe it's not possible but thought it was.

Thanks for your help can't believe I missed that!!!!!

Edited by Dmbeirne
Contacted Amazon