Corsair Community

550VX Dead Dieing....?

-Shadow

I built my first PC last weekend. On the first power up it powered on then of on its own. Without me touching anything it turned back on then off then on again. The third time it turned on it stayed on and I loaded XP. I spent the next couple hours loading drivers and such, with multiple resets without issue. One of the last programs I installed was Unreal Tournament 3. I started UT 3 and played for about half an hour, then turned the PC off.

The next day I turned it on and it booted like normal. I activated Real temp 3.0. All temps where around 30 to 32. I then started UT3. I noticed I had plugged the speaker cable into the wrong jack so I moved it which prompted the audio program to load. I answered the question it asked then closed the program and clicked on the UT3 tab to maximize it. Everything then froze. The clock on real temp stopped running and everything just stalled for about a second then the PC shut down.

I tried to power it back up but it would not do anything. I tried everything. One time I left the PSU unplugged for about half an hour, plugged it in and pressed the power button. For maybe a second it tried to load then died again.

I eventually found on Corsair's web site where you do the green and black paper clip trick. Nothing. So I started the RMA through newegg. I then found this form which says you need to have a fan or some load to properly perform this test. So I unpackaged everything and tried it with a fan plugged in and the PSU fan and fan i had hooked up powered on.

I hooked everything back up and powered the PC on. Everything worked as it should until I started UT3 again. It didn't even finish loading UT3 when the PC died and would not power back on. I unhooked everything except a fan and again tried the paper clip test and nothing. I tried it again about five minutes later and both the PSU and fan spun up.

I'm hoping this is the PSU since I have already opened the RMA and paid for shipping back to newegg.

Sorry it got so long:o:

• Corsair Employee
I would try to test the PSU in a different system just to be sure there is not some other issue. The turn on/off/on functionality is common with some Intel based chipsets, so I would not worry about that. If you could only duplicate these same issues when loading up UT3, then I would suspect the issue is either video card, or driver/software based. Do you have any other 3D applications that you can try to run to see if the same thing happens?

I had no other PC to test it in, so I ended up buying a power supply from a local store and installing that one. Everything is working fine on the PC now. I sent the 550VX back to new egg to get a replacement. Must have just been a bad egg :(:

• Corsair Employee
I had no other PC to test it in, so I ended up buying a power supply from a local store and installing that one. Everything is working fine on the PC now. I sent the 550VX back to new egg to get a replacement. Must have just been a bad egg :(:

Let us know if you have any more problems with the replacement unit!

Archived