Corsair Community

Keytroke hold via mouse button.

McTaff

Ok, I'm rather confused (and quite annoyed at Corsair; but lets see if I can figure this out here).

I purchased this new keyboard and mouse from Corsair because I was informed by many folks out there that this was the best and easiest to use. I have a specific requirement, and was informed that this keyboard and mouse would be able to deliver what I wanted.

===

So, to the point: I've been looking everywhere for a solution to a problem that I have, and I suspect I might have to use macros. I have seen similar requests but not exactly the same, all with fairly negative comments stating it is not easily or cannot be done.

Let me explain the behaviour I want in the key, and then explain the behaviour I see when I try to map it. Please, read on...:

-

Situation:

I need a Push To Talk button for Windows Speech Recognition. However, I can only use it for 'short bursts', similar to a Ventrilo/Teamspeak PTT, after which I need it to shut off again. The key combination needs to be held for the duration that the mouse button is held down for.

The keystroke "Ctrl" + "Win" will correctly activate and deactivate WSR with the required behaviour, provided it is held in for longer than a fraction of a second.

Mission:

Create a macro that can hold down Ctrl + Windows keys (and possibly one other key) for the duration of a mouse button press.

It can't be for a specific length of time, as the statements I will be saying vary in length significantly, and the background noise I have means WSR cannot cope with it staying on.

Observation:

I tried in the Corsair M65 software, however all I could get the mouse to do was to repeatedly press the button, not hold it down like my old Logitech mouse would do for a PTT button.

In addition, the "Ctrl" key needs to be pushed fractionally in before the "Win" key, similar to any other Ctrl-key combo for it to work.

Limitations:

I have no idea how to script or write macros. Even looking at the instructions on how to try to install Hard Macros / AutoHotKey, it filled me with dread. There is no reference to my particular mouse and keyboard. So I'm struggling here already.

Resources:

Corsair K95 RGB, and Corsair M65 RGB, both brand new. CUE program is running, latest drivers.

===

So there you have it.

The idea is that "Ctrl + Win" will 'wake up' the Windows Speech Recognition application for the duration it is held down (this is tried, tested and proven correct, so the keystroke itself works).

I just need that mapped to the side mouse button (Button 4). I don't care if the mouse button maps to a keyboard G key which then takes over, or whatever, just as long as it works.

(As a secondary, I'd also need a separate program to recognise this mouse button as 'held in' at the same time - but I'll get this sorted out first and then see if simply mapping to the mouse button will work, or if additional steps to the macro need to be added.)

I actually thought this would be a fairly simple thing to do. It's remarkable that it hasn't been added as a out-of-the-box feature in the most recent iterations of the product.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried that.

The Action does not hold down - it simply repeats. Software recognises this as repeated presses, and not being held in.

I need the computer to say "Oh, hey, he's holding in the mouse button, so that means I hold down CTRL, and then immediately hold down WIN, and don't let go until he lets the mouse button go".

• 4 weeks later...

To shamelessly bump (and reiterate), there are four choices in the CUE software.

On/Off (toggle) - Action will be executed until the button which triggered it is pressed again

While Pressed - Action will REPEAT while the button is pressed

None - Action will not be repeat after it finishes

Repeat x times - enable to repeat x times when started.

There is no option that is a blend of On/Off and While Pressed, which will execute as the keys being held in until it is let go.

I just need that fifth option.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea if this works, because I don't have the software to test it. Maybe you should give it a shot to see if it works anyway.

The idea is that you split the keystroke in two macros to avoid repeating key events. We are not assigning anything just yet, we first create them. The order in which we do things is important.

1. To create the first macro go to "Actions" and click "New..."

2. Click the "Record" button.

3. Press Ctrl+Win.

4. Click the "Stop" button.

5. You will see 7 events in the list. Delete the FIRST 4 entries by right clicking each one and selecting "Delete" from the popup menu.

6. Now 3 entries are left. Right click the second entry in the list (the one indicating a pause) and select "Edit delay".

7. A small dialog box appears. Set the "Constant" value to 5ms and click the "Insert" button.

8. Under "Macro Start" check the "Start on release" radio button.

9. Give the macro a name (call it ReleaseCtrlWin) and optionally document the macro in "Notes".

10. The macro will look something like this screenshot.

11. Click the "OK" button. The software will complain and asks you if you want to continue. You do. Click the "OK" button again.

We are going to use the above macro in the second macro. It looks much the same as the first one. But there are slight but important differences. Read carefully.

1. To create the second macro click "New..." again in the "Actions" window.

2. Click the "Record" button.

3. Press Ctrl+Win.

4. Click the "Stop" button.

5. You will see 7 events in the list. Delete the LAST 4 entries by right clicking each one and selecting "Delete" from the popup menu.

6. Now 3 entries are left. Right click the second entry in the list (the one indicating a pause) and select "Edit delay".

7. A small dialog box appears. Set the "Constant" value to 5ms and click the "Insert" button.

8. Tag the check box under "Double "Macros". Click the line with the arrow below it and select "ReleaseCtrlWin" from the drop down list. BTW: Do not bother with the "Macro Start" option this time. It should be set to its default ("Start on press").

9. Give the macro a name (call it WSR) and optionally document the macro in "Notes".

10. The macro will look something like this screenshot.

11. Click the "OK" button. The software will complain again and asks you if you want to continue. Yes, you do. Click the "OK" button.

Now we are going to assign the last macro to the mouse button of your choice. This is how to do it.

1. Click "Profiles" and make sure you are in the "Assignments" tab.

2. Select the M65 RGB (if it wasn't selected already). An image of the mouse should show up.

3. In that window left click the button you want to use and select "Assign action..." from the popup menu.

4. A dialog box, called "Actions List", will show up with a list. From that list select "WSR" and click the "OK" button.

That should do it. Let's hope I didn't waste your time. Ghehe. :P

• 3 weeks later...
That look amazingly complex...

... I will definitely give it a go when I am substantially less tired!

Thanks a bunch, really appreciated!

Idk if its similar in corsair software but i was able to do this in 5 seconds with coolermaster storm sentinel software on my mouse.

the key to this whole thing, at least in this mouse, is that the software allows programmable scripts that are

1. not necessarily macros

and

2. can do keyboard presses or commands in two stages

im sure there is something like that in the corsair software, its proibably just worded differently

what it means in this case is that there is an action when the mouse button is pressed down, and as long as it stays down, the first action will remain held down

ie i mapped my side button to this script, set it to two phase mode, and hit record and pressed ctrl+win. then in the script, i inserted a pause in between the ctrl+win down stroke, and the ctrl+win up stroke

its much simpler than it sounds though, see attached pic. i hope it is of help to you

http://i.imgur.com/IzcPnB9.jpg

there is a more complicated way to do it, but this way takes 5 seconds. hope i can help, though im sorry i didnt have the same software as you.

Capture.JPG.82f0515e59d1eba6b07ff9531fb35ab6.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

this was requested 6 months ago cmon corsair we need this function people have been asking for ages

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=811757#post811757 we need toggleable keydown/up presses

and also another post here http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143100 requesting the same function why is it so hard to implement? just add on keyup/on keydown section.

edit: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=138393

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126309

more here too

I tried that.

The Action does not hold down - it simply repeats. Software recognises this as repeated presses, and not being held in.

I need the computer to say "Oh, hey, he's holding in the mouse button, so that means I hold down CTRL, and then immediately hold down WIN, and don't let go until he lets the mouse button go".

Why are you using that many modifiers? Why not bind whatever action you want to a single keystroke? Or at least with a single modifier. That works very well and games do register it as a key combo being held down.

I have several keystroke actions that are various keys combined with CTRL, or ALT, and they work just fine.

Are you creating a 'macro' or using the 'keystroke' option? If you are using the keystroke option and it's not being detected as being held down, something is wrong since it works for me.

Take screenshots of your action details that you created and said didn't work.

I have a Vengeance M90 mouse, but its not playing nicely with Windows 10.

I just purchased the new Scimitar RGB mouse and I'm pretty bummed that a simple "hold keystroke" functionality that was in the M90 mouse is NOT in the brand new Scimitar.

In the M90, I could easily assign the "CTRL" as a keystroke and then in game bind many commands to "CTRL-R, CTRL-T, CTRL-V" using the side buttons to work as the CTRL key on the keyboard. (I don't have to stretch my pinkie over to hit CTRL.. just use a thumb button on the side of the mouse.

But I can't do that in the latest and greatest CUE software????? Why is that available in older products but not the newest???

Make a macro that presses the CTRL button when you press the key, then in the same macro use the option "Run a second macro after release" and choose a macro (registered before) that only releases the CTRL button.

It should work fine like this I think. I have not tested it however, I just came up with it right now.

• 1 month later...
Please tell me this is a joke? This is supposed to be the top of the line mmo mouse. This is a REQUIRED feature. I cant bind my ptt button for vent or ts to my mouse??? there are no dedicated mouse buttons beyond l/r scroll and dpi adjustments??? Im sorry i guess im returning this.

• 2 weeks later...

yea it doesn't actually work as if you are holding the key down what it does instead is while u hold the key down it constantly keeps repeating the keystrokes over and over.

this becomes painfully obvious in ventrilo when using it for the push to talk button you'll see the microphone change from red to green constantly making the noise of u rapidly pressing the push to talk key

sadly the other alternative is to map the button to a single key >_>

• 3 weeks later...

This is for the M65 RGB

I had a similar problem re-mapping the sniper button for grenades to keystroke Q. I fixed it with the below.

Keystrokes/macros appear to only be momentary or repeated. I'm not sure how Corsair missed such an obvious requirement as a "press and hold".

I got around it by remapping "forward" to the sniper button. Forward and Backward are "press and hold" functions on the mouse. They will also show up as "Mouse 4" and "Mouse 5" in the game/program. I confirmed that this worked in Teamspeak as a push to talk as well.

This doesn't resolve the issue if the game/program only allows 1 mapping per action and you want to have the flexibility of hitting the keyboard or the mouse.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue. I want to bind my force to move in diablo 3 to the "1" button on the schimitar, but this seemingly simple task seems to be far to complex for corsair.

My worn out Logitec G600 did this with no effort. I just simply rebound the "1" button to a random out of the way keyboard button and it would function EXACTLY like the button on the keyboard

hey found a solution for this. its more complex then it needs to be but quite simple still

what you need to do is create 2 macros for it it was pushing and holding F9

First macro

the first macro you want to just be the pushing action of the key so make a new macro click record and click F9 then click stop. you should have 3 actions on the macro window. select and delete the relase action as well as the pause action and save. a message that an action was not completed and are you sure you want to save. click yes

Second macro

repeat the process for first macro but now deltete the press key action and the pause action. save it , same error will pop up do same as before

tie them together

go back to your first macro and edit it. on the right you will see DOUBLE MACROS enable this and choose your second macro.

there really should be a simple selection for theis but i hope this work around helps. it should work the same way with multi button pusses as well just remove the release of and delay of both buttons for the first macro and for the second remove the press action and pause for both.

hope this helps

Using Corsair Utility Engine 1.15.36 with an M65 RGB mouse

Edit Read MadIce 's solution for more indepth on creating the 2 different macros, but use the double macros feature to keep the binding to one key

• 11 months later...

Thank you, MadIce.

Your instruction worked perfectly for me.

This really shouldn't be so hard though... It seems like an easy feature Corsair can implement.

It frustrated me even more when i purchased a M65 purely for the full customization with the RBG lights.

After buying it i realized the the CUE software had 'downgraded' nearly 3 weeks before i bought it.

Corsair got +1 strike for that, It just got another strike for not having a simple hold down macro (seeing as though the 'downgrade' to CUE was so that the interface would be more 'user friendly'), one more strike and im no longer interested in purchasing Corsair peripherals.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone from Corsair actually address this?

Corsair and XSplit have software that basically refuse to work together. I want a push to talk key for recording live streams in XSplit, but XSplit requires there to be a modifier key with the push to talk key. I.e., alt, control, or shift. If I wanted to make my push to talk key alt+(whatever push to talk key I assign), Corsair software reads it as a constant repeat, and won't toggle it as a hold for ptt.

I really have no understanding as to why such a simply function as press and hold is so limited, but I have yet to find a solution for this situation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27875&stc=1&d=1487720938

CUE2 makes this simple. You create a macro that releases the keys, and activates on key (mouse button) release. You create a macro that presses the keys, and activates on key (mouse button) press, specifying the second action as the macro that releases the keys.

If you press a key and don't release it, then this is the same thing as holding it down (for modifier keys). For typematic keys, you would actually want to send multiple key down events, I think.

M65pro.cueprofile

M65.thumb.png.74d8c19e5b93f1e38265d3926b9fa650.png

CUE2 makes this simple. You create a macro that releases the keys, and activates on key (mouse button) release. You create a macro that presses the keys, and activates on key (mouse button) press, specifying the second action as the macro that releases the keys.

If you press a key and don't release it, then this is the same thing as holding it down (for modifier keys). For typematic keys, you would actually want to send multiple key down events, I think.

Ok. I missed the release of CUE2. Working on fixing this now. This has been a headache for me for a year+, so I'm excited to see if I can finally get this to square away. Thanks for the response.

• 1 year later...

This is a little cumbersome although it works great.

Create a new Action – and assign to the button you want as a left mouse click.

Set Record Settings as Mouse Clicks

Click on Record twice to start and stop record

You will see two entries:

Left mouse button press

Left mouse button release

Select the (Left mouse button release) and delete the entry (the macro name may say Macro 1)

Create a new Action – and assign to a button you will not be using.

Set Record Settings as Mouse Clicks

Click on Record twice to start and stop record

You will see two entries:

Left mouse button press

Left mouse button release

Select the (Left mouse button press) and delete the entry (the macro name may say Macro 2)

Select the first action created for the left mouse button.

Click on the Advanced Settings icon

You will see the following:

Action trigger On press (checkbox) Execute uninterrupted

Action repeat No Repeat

Second action (click on the down arrow and choose the second macro created [Macro 2])

Works Perfectly as Left Mouse button, you can even use for drag and drop.

Archived