Corsair Community

Bad Sectors on Performance 3 128 GB

jhenry0302

Today was quite the troubleshooting adventure for me. After I installed some optional Windows updates (for .net Framework 4.0), my system became unstable after the first reboot from installing the updates: nearly every single program that is set to load on startup reported an error and immediately terminated; half the time, my system would just go dark and reboot itself.

At first I assumed that something went wrong with my .net Framework update, but, after hours of troubleshooting, it turned out to be bad sectors on my Performance 3 SSD (which explains why so many seemingly un-related programs were all reporting errors and crashing). Acronis True Image Home initially reported bad sectors when I attempted to create a fresh image of the partition, and CHKDSK later confirmed bad sectors. Luckily, chkdsk c: /b seems to have fixed the issue for now, and my system has been stable for the last few hours.

So here's my question: What the heck? I haven't had this drive for more than a year, and already there are bad sectors? I wasn't even aware that SSDs could get bad sectors. Is there a way I can restore this drive to optimal health? Not more than a few months ago, I did an SE and reinstall to improve performance (at that time it was taking 12 minutes to load Win7 x64). Will another SE help at this point? What other options can I explore?

Thank you!

-jhenry0302

Oh I'm running weekly incremental backups on it, and the only thing on that drive is my OS and a few programs; no critical data to lose here, only time and energy to reinstall or re-image.

I may just do that though. I was kind of hoping one of the tech support or customer service reps would chime in though.

• Corsair Employee

I think I would do a secure erased on the drive with parted Magic and then do a fresh install of the O.S. and do the updates after you have installed all the latest BIOS and drivers for your MB.

I ran into an issue like this and found it was caused by an older driver for a network card when Net frame work was updated; go figure! If you have a problem with the drive it will not finish the secure erase.

Archived