Corsair Community

Force Series 3 120 GB, Only half speed (250 MBs)

gustaf.f

I just installed my new SSD last night and I have set everything according to the instructions.

• Updated firmware on the SSD
  • Update Marvell drivers aswell as chipset
  • Enabled AHCI

And still i "only" get about half the promissed speed...

What might be the error?

Thanks for your repsonses!

Results.thumb.jpg.2d2c892d3b8e89f852e27d4bd48bedcd.jpg

Here are some things which affects performance:

C-states (power savings, enabled/disabled in the BIOS)

Marvell controller SATA 6Gb/s (isn't as good as the Intel ones)

I _THINK_ you have an option in the BIOS to allocate more bandwidth to SATA 6Gb/s on that board

Those are some things you can try messing around with.

Beware, though, you won't be able to reach the Force 3 rated speeds on that motherboard of yours.

Edit: Actually looking at the pic it looks like SATA 3Gb/s w/ power savings enabled. You sure you plugged it into the 6Gb port?

Okey so thats why the preformance is so low...

Nope no idea, BUT it only occurs when plugged in to the sataIII port.

I've tried updating every driver i could find on Asus homepage, and still it happens.

Latest BIOS aswell as Marvell drivers they supplied...

How do i use Intel drivers instead of Marvell, or is it Intel making the Marvell drivers?

Well 400/250 would still be a Huge increase for me!

So no thoughts on why i get BSOD when trying to boot with sataIII?

This is slowly driving me insane, especially when it seems to be an unknown error hehe.

Thank you all for helping though!

So no thoughts on why i get BSOD when trying to boot with sataIII?

All I can say is that Sandforce+Intel Chipset = Hell for some users! Sandforce is hoping Intel will release new BIOS updates soon to solve this BSOD issue. Something to do with Intel's less than stringent implementation of the SATA standards. Mind you. Not all Intel users are affected. It's really all a crapshoot for Intel users with Sandforce drives. That's the strange part.

all that get BSOD's with these drivers isnt Intel users, even if most got them with the mb they use ;)

But yeah somehow im turning to beliw that all mighty FW isnt the problem on any of these cases, but that just me.

Gustaf, when you see this BSOD? ..is this ssd the driver where is your os or is it for storage? ...have you installed the OS when the driver is in it?

Forgot to tell you, for some reason I Can't run it on Sata 3, it leads to BSOD...

EDIT: Shouldnt Sata 2 be enough anyway, it supports up to 1,5GB/s?

FYI there's a difference between Gb and GB. b = bit, B = byte.

SATA II = 3.0 Gb/s = ~375 MB/s. With overhead, that ends up being ~285 MB/s real world.

SATA III = 6.0 Gb/s = ~750 MB/s.

@Gustaf, i dont know other then mechanic HDD ;)

But jokeing away they are vert different so even if may forums like this shows you option to clone your hdd and install it to your SSD thinks it as joke.

They and you may get on windows and be stable on prime and so on but all other are they crap.

atleast after w7 it knows what SSD is and install it for it.. so make fresh install on that sata3 and see if you have bsod's after that. dont forget to secure eraser the disk(s) http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85344

UPDATE!

Just completed a fresh install of W7 after doing a secure erase.

Results are a bit better about 200 write and 360 read.

So thanks a lot for all the help, really appreciate it!

BUT, however, i discovered my RAM sticks are only running at 1333mhz. (they are 1600).

And since you already have been so helpful, anyone might want to assist with this issue aswell?

Thanks alot!

Archived