Corsair Community

Lighting Profiles work on Boot when Win Locked

OriginalOreos

So I've been harping about this problem for a while, and 3 updates later, nothing has been done about it yet.

The problem is that it doesn't even really seem to be a real issue, but rather a tweak. I'm talking about profiles running while the computer is locked. Currently, if you lock your computer, the profile will switch to the default rainbow wave. If you boot up your PC from start, however, your computer will load up iCUE in the background prior to even logging in to Windows. This means iCUE can run while locked, so why are we routinely fed lip service about it being intentional or a bug when it can clearly works under such circumstances?

I didn't get rid of my NZXT RGB devices so that I could have restrictions as to which lighting profiles were available. 6 months in, and I'm regretting my decision to switch to Corsair.

So ... it is intentional; custom lighting is disconnected when the workstation is locked. So it's not "lip service" ... it was a design/functionality decision. It's also not a bug as it is to spec.

That said, this is good feedback for the Corsair team and echoes feedback that I've provided as well. Personally, I'd really like to see an option where, when the workstation is locked, you can have:

1) Your profiles continue as-is.

2) Rainbows everywhere

3) Turn lighting off.

4) Something else??

I too have noticed their disregard for this bug.

Stop asking for a fix. Vote for it by posting bad reviews on Amazon and other retailers. Corsair is a company, they pay attention to $, not forums.

Not entirely accurate. They do actually pay attention to the forums and the feedback is taken into consideration. But yes, they do pay attention to $$ as well. They are a business so you would expect them to.

iCue is still under active development and new releases are pretty frequent. Feedback can be - and has been - incorporated into the product.

So ... it is intentional; custom lighting is disconnected when the workstation is locked. So it's not "lip service" ... it was a design/functionality decision. It's also not a bug as it is to spec.

If it's intentional, than under what rationale? The lighting profiles clearly work without security concern under a locked state on boot up.

Simple, the hardware is not equipped to store all the available lighting modes when the usb data transfer has been stopped with icue, if you want this "feature" use corsair link instead. the node pro hasnt seen a firmware update for a long time.

If it's intentional, than under what rationale? The lighting profiles clearly work without security concern under a locked state on boot up.

From what I understand, it was based on feedback dating back to CUE 2.

And the reality is this: anything that they do is going to make some group of users angry and get them posting nasty things on here.

Nobody is addressing the specific question. What feedback? What is this "feature" ? Why did somebody think the appropriate solution was the blast rainbows every time you lock your computer? How is it running during boot at the lock screen but not after login and then a lock screen?

if you want this "feature" use corsair link instead.

"We have a product for people who can't get online, it's called Xbox 360."

Good thing you don't work for Corsair.

And the reality is this: anything that they do is going to make some group of users angry and get them posting nasty things on here.

Firstly, this isn't really a "feature" request or a case of "anything they do", but rather a lack of reasonable expectations from a product. And as I mentioned earlier, NZXT has no problems running lighting profiles under Win Lock, so the boilerplate responses from the apologists on this forum have been getting a bit tiresome.

Firstly, this isn't really a "feature" request or a case of "anything they do", but rather a lack of reasonable expectations from a product. And as I mentioned earlier, NZXT has no problems running lighting profiles under Win Lock, so the boilerplate responses from the apologists on this forum have been getting a bit tiresome.

I think that may be the best solution. Amazon Prime free return. NZXT purchase.

Look ... I had a long conversation with the PM about this a couple of months ago. That's something along the lines of what he told me. I do forget the exact details. But, in short, on lock, they disconnect all USB functionality and the saved hardware profile is reverted. For the peripherals, that can be whatever is in the primary hardware profile. For the internal lighting ... rainbows. And this was done due to user feedback in the CUE 2 days.

Now, if you want to take that as a "boilerplate response from an apologist" when I'm trying to relay what I was told by the guy who actually knows, that's up to you. For the record, I happen to agree that the lighting should stay on my chosen profile when the system is locked. And we were discussing exactly this. What I do also know is that the Corsair team takes feedback to heart and really does try to not only meet customer needs but exceed expectations. But it's a no-win situation; they're gonna make someone angry. And they're human too ... so sometimes they miss the mark. And I would bet you dollars to donuts that the minute that a version of iCue is released that changes the lock behavior from rainbows to anything else, there's gonna be someone up here on this forum screaming that it's the worst thing that Corsair ever did. 'Cuz that's how these here forums roll.

If you want to come up here and get all snitty about it, have at it. But that's typically counter-productive. If, however, you'd like to have a productive conversation where you do more than just complain about a feature that isn't there that you think should be there and actually discuss what an potential implementation might look like, that can be pretty productive ... and might actually influence future direction. Your choice. After all, iCue is still being actively worked on and new features and functionality are in the pipeline.

Look ... I had a long conversation with the PM about this a couple of months ago. That's something along the lines of what he told me. I do forget the exact details. But, in short, on lock, they disconnect all USB functionality and the saved hardware profile is reverted. For the peripherals, that can be whatever is in the primary hardware profile. For the internal lighting ... rainbows. And this was done due to user feedback in the CUE 2 days.

Now, if you want to take that as a "boilerplate response from an apologist" when I'm trying to relay what I was told by the guy who actually knows, that's up to you. For the record, I happen to agree that the lighting should stay on my chosen profile when the system is locked. And we were discussing exactly this. What I do also know is that the Corsair team takes feedback to heart and really does try to not only meet customer needs but exceed expectations. But it's a no-win situation; they're gonna make someone angry. And they're human too ... so sometimes they miss the mark. And I would bet you dollars to donuts that the minute that a version of iCue is released that changes the lock behavior from rainbows to anything else, there's gonna be someone up here on this forum screaming that it's the worst thing that Corsair ever did. 'Cuz that's how these here forums roll.

If you want to come up here and get all snitty about it, have at it. But that's typically counter-productive. If, however, you'd like to have a productive conversation where you do more than just complain about a feature that isn't there that you think should be there and actually discuss what an potential implementation might look like, that can be pretty productive ... and might actually influence future direction. Your choice. After all, iCue is still being actively worked on and new features and functionality are in the pipeline.

I've complained about this more than once, and at all times, in a productive way. We've rec'd the same responses each and every time, and my patience has been wearing thin. I do, however, consider you suggestions a great way to further implement such features. For example, if a separate profile was available for Lock or Screen Timeout, then perhaps a light breathing profile to suggest the computer is taking a "nap" would be pretty neat, but we can't even have that conversation if they don't address the glaring hurdle of even allowing profiles on Lock, firstly. That's my qualm!

I understand how corporate culture works and that a ton of issues can be put on the back burner, but this one just seems like a no-brainer, aside from compatibility issues with devices. I just can't see how someone would "complain" about something that should be a reasonable expectation of the product, not an oddity or quirk in functionality. I'm going to wait it out, but I feel like if we don't make enough noise, it will never be addressed.

I understand how corporate culture works and that a ton of issues can be put on the back burner, but this one just seems like a no-brainer, aside from compatibility issues with devices. I just can't see how someone would "complain" about something that should be a reasonable expectation of the product, not an oddity or quirk in functionality. I'm going to wait it out, but I feel like if we don't make enough noise, it will never be addressed.

We are with you, but this is a resource limited environment - they simply do not have on-board storage on specific devices to handle a situation where in lock state the software can speak to the hardware. I think it is possible there is a solution, but I certainly do not know how to do it and i suspect no one at NZXT or wherever does either, either the hardware is different, like some corsair products (the pro line peripherals with on board memory, or those devices with static lighting available) or they are aware of some method by which they can notify devices the computer is in lock or sleep (Lock or sleep S1, S3, S5 whatever).

There's literally like five people a day here saying they are jumping ship back to a (garbage) alternative and how the grass is greener.

The forced spiral demo mode rainbow is a serious deficiency which everyone can concur on, so could you tell us how this competitor is able to achieve an alternative in a lock or boot state? Is it like the hardware is passive (off all the time) and then the software enables the device?

We are with you, but this is a resource limited environment - they simply do not have on-board storage on specific devices to handle a situation where in lock state the software can speak to the hardware.?

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I only briefly used Link prior to iCUE to control my LL Fans, but I remember it working just fine with that software. Either it worked in motion, or it just froze the color scheme, much like the Corsair peripherals do now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I only briefly used Link prior to iCUE to control my LL Fans, but I remember it working just fine with that software. Either it worked in motion, or it just froze the color scheme, much like the Corsair peripherals do now.

I am not sure but it was my understanding it did not work.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=963622&posted=1#post963622

Seems frankly to be related. Something almost tells me you could trick the CUE app to think the system was unlocked with some creative task scheduling. Assuming the application could get to the HID and had the authority to do what it needed...might be something they could look at provided users were comfortable with the password saved to the task and allowing it to run with the highest privileges.

EDIT:

So FWIW i tried making a task scheduler task on windows lock and ran both icue and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\Corsair.Service.exe

with the highest privileges and right settings. Still seems worthwhile to investigate even though it did not work

Edited by hastegag

Although I would really appreciate the ability to set a profile for when my machine is locked; I really despise the rainbows and would prefer almost anything over it (except mad flashing!).

I think the simplest thing to do would be to offer an 'LEDs are off' firmware version for those of us that hate the rainbows.

Change the UI to let you pick which firmware you want to run (off or rainbows) and the rest of it becomes a much lower priority.

I quite often work in the evenings with minimal lighting and lock my PC if I leave my desk. With four LL fans and four LED strips it's deeply unpleasant what happens to the room in these moments...

I quite often work in the evenings with minimal lighting and lock my PC if I leave my desk. With four LL fans and four LED strips it's deeply unpleasant what happens to the room in these moments...

Not a fan of unicorn vomit, eh? :laughing:

The rainbow effect threw me off, certainly something no reviewer has spoken of, but I'm resigned to the fact it's here to stay. I'm hoping I have an option to have my Vengeance pro ram behave the same way so I have some continuity throughout.

Although I would really appreciate the ability to set a profile for when my machine is locked; I really despise the rainbows and would prefer almost anything over it (except mad flashing!).

I think the simplest thing to do would be to offer an 'LEDs are off' firmware version for those of us that hate the rainbows.

Change the UI to let you pick which firmware you want to run (off or rainbows) and the rest of it becomes a much lower priority.

Not sure what version of iCUE it was, but I think the 3.2 or something froze the lighting in place. Then they updated it, and it went back to rainbow, so freezing should be possible.

Today's update was, again, not helpful with this.

The rainbow effect threw me off, certainly something no reviewer has spoken of, but I'm resigned to the fact it's here to stay. I'm hoping I have an option to have my Vengeance pro ram behave the same way so I have some continuity throughout.

I wouldn't say that it's here to stay. Corsair has heard the feedback loud and clear and, from what I understand, they are looking into options to address this a bit better. No word, however, on any kind of ETA.

For the record ... I'm with you. I'd like to see my profiles continue unabated, personally. I think a drop down option for how to handle workstation lock would make everyone happy (Current Profile ... Specific Profile ... Lights Off ... Unicorn Vomit). My daughter is a particular fan of unicorn vomit so it does have its fans.

• Corsair Employee
LINK was able to save lighting to the devices but the patterns we use in iCUE are very different than what we used in LINK (preset lighting is defined by mathematical algorithms). Currently we are working on a plan to reintroduce saving hardware lighting to Commander Pro, Lighting Node Pro, and all PRO coolers. But we'll need some time since all of the lighting is basically being redone to support this.